Dual Screen Concerns

The advantage of a dual screen setup is rather simple I believe -- increased workspace (if there are more, post them here).

But are there any disadvantages?

The main concerns are:

1. The second screen. The top choice, as of now, is the 22" Viewsonic http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2235wm/. What matters in a monitor? Viewsonic is an industry standard, but is this a good monitor? Are the specifications on or above par?

2. Screen compatibility. The current screen is a ~3 year old Philips LCD (Philips 170B2). The second screen, as was abovementioned, will most likely be Viewsonic VX2235wm. The latter is a wide screen and newer (probably faster); the former is not a wide screen and probably slower. Will the two run fluidly along side each other? Will the widescreen or speed be an issue?

3. Power supply. The power supply 420W. It should be able to handle two screens. But is there a way to ascertain this.

4. The two screens will form one, longer screen, no? In other words, the taskbar and wallpaper will extend the length of both screens.

5. Setting them up. Is i just simply plugging it in to a video card using a a DVI to VGA converter?

Other points or opinions about dual screen setups are appreciated.

Thank you.
2 answers Last reply
More about dual screen concerns
  1. Quote:
    The advantage of a dual screen setup is rather simple I believe -- increased workspace (if there are more, post them here).

But are there any disadvantages?

The main concerns are:

1. The second screen. The top choice, as of now, is the 22" Viewsonic http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2235wm/. What matters in a monitor? Viewsonic is an industry standard, but is this a good monitor? Are the specifications on or above par?

2. Screen compatibility. The current screen is a ~3 year old Philips LCD (Philips 170B2). The second screen, as was abovementioned, will most likely be Viewsonic VX2235wm. The latter is a wide screen and newer (probably faster); the former is not a wide screen and probably slower. Will the two run fluidly along side each other? Will the widescreen or speed be an issue?

3. Power supply. The power supply 420W. It should be able to handle two screens. But is there a way to ascertain this.

4. The two screens will form one, longer screen, no? In other words, the taskbar and wallpaper will extend the length of both screens.

5. Setting them up. Is i just simply plugging it in to a video card using a a DVI to VGA converter?

Other points or opinions about dual screen setups are appreciated.

Thank you.

Dual monitor is as simple as single monitor. No problems whatsoever. No power or compatibility issues. Your only concern would be the video card. It must be able to display the resolution of each monitor you choose. (If you have a conventional and a widescreen monitor, the video card must be able to display the resolution of each. Most modern video card do this.)

Just plug the monitor into the card and activate it through Windows Extended Desktop feature.

Not all games will run on both monitors, however.
  2. Dual screens are great. I have had no problems with my X1800XT using either two LCD's or a combination of a LCD and a CRT with different resolutions on each.
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Panel Monitors Viewsonic Peripherals