Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Remote Control for Desktop PC

Last response: in Mobile Computing
November 26, 2011 7:10:34 AM

I am trying to find a solution for a remote control for a desktop PC. full control would be nice but mostly the ability to control an app. say, I put some music on and lay down when the musics' over, instead of having to get up to put the next selection on I can just use my hand held device as a remote and put something else on.

I want to find the cheapest possible solution vs. something like the Logitech harmony remote for $$. I do not want to play multimedia with the device.

thanks much

More about : remote control desktop

Best solution

December 2, 2011 9:17:12 PM

If you've got an android phone, how does Free sound?

If you use XBMC (xbmc.org) as your media player, they have a full-featured android app to control the software (from anywhere on your network).

Their app also integrates with android such that you can browse to a YouTube video, and it will ask if you want to play it with one of the apps on your phone (like the web browser or YouTube app), or if you'd like to stream it to your XBMC.

I've been using the stand-alone XBMC-Live linux distro on a set-top box for a couple years now and love it. I've got a regular Windows media center remote to use in the living-room, but use my phone to control it when I'm in another room and want to change songs, or stop the kids movie so they can hear me yell at them.

I'm sure there are a lot of other similar options, but since I use XBMC, that's the one I went looking for and use.

Good luck.
December 6, 2011 12:02:48 AM

Best answer selected by erly_Cuylers.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2012 9:32:29 AM

You can try using various remote support services such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. in order to have full remote control for a desktop PC.
m
l
May 1, 2013 4:14:54 AM

Getting a programmable multi-button wireless mouse solved my problem. For power on / off, I would have a look at simerec or rfpcremote.com.
m
l
!