add a folder to places display

how can I add a folder ("C:\this folder") to the list of places displayed on
the left side bar of the "save as" window--- currently it lists :
"My Recent Documents"
"Desktop"
"My Documents"
"My Computer" and
"My Network Places"
3 answers Last reply
More about folder places display

    ubpc wrote:

    > how can I add a folder ("C:\this folder") to the list of places displayed on
    > the left side bar of the "save as" window--- currently it lists :
    > "My Recent Documents"
    > "Desktop"
    > "My Documents"
    > "My Computer" and
    > "My Network Places"

    In addition to what Anando said you can only have five entries there, so
    you'll need to replace one of them.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    In addition to what else has been posted...

    Edit the Places bar locations in 'Open/Save As' common dialog boxes
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/PlacesBar.htm

    Use TweakUI, Edit the registry or use System Policy Editor. Or if Office
    XP, scroll down.

    Edit the Places bar locations in Open Save As common dialog boxes
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/PlacesBar.htm

    This works for 2002 also.
    How to Customize the Places Bar Word 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;205041

    Microsoft Office XP
    HOW TO Customize the My Places Bar in the Open and Save As Dialog Boxes
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282087

    Customize the Places Bar in Office XP
    http://www.petri.co.il/customize_the_places_bar_in_office_xp.htm

    +++

    TweakUI
    [+] Common Dialogs
    Places bar

    Places bar
    ? Custom places bar

    Places bar
    [[This enables changing the location when a common dialog is opened. You can
    use the default values or you can choose a custom location to open when a
    common dialog box is opened.]]

    Common Dialog Boxes
    [[The common dialog boxes, such as the Save As dialog box, display the
    places bar on the left side. These are shortcuts to common folders, which
    make getting around much easier. By default, you see the History, Documents,
    Desktop, Favorites, and My Network Places folders there. You can customize
    the folders that appear in the places bar by using the Common Dialogs
    category in Tweak UI.]]

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ===

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    +++

    [[First you add to
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\
    the PlacesBar subkey. In PlacesBar, create the REG_DWORD values Place0,
    Place1, Place2, Place3, and Place4. These correspond to the five available
    buttons from top to bottom. The common dialog boxes will display only the
    buttons specified by these values; if there is a PlacesBar subkey with no
    values, an empty places bar will be displayed. Then set PlacesN to one of
    the settings in shown in Table]]

    Folders for the Places Bar
    Folder Value
    Desktop 0x00
    Favorites 0x06
    My Documents 0x05
    My Music 0x0D
    My Computer 0x11
    Network Neighborhood 0x12
    History 0x22
    My Pictures 0x27
    Recent Documents 0x08

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg3
    2\PlacesBar
    Place0
    Place1
    Place2
    Place3
    Place4

    System Policy Editor and Templates
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/appndx/appa18.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:B68E5ED1-2AAC-487F-8EA8-7EEB2F90DA59@microsoft.com,
    ubpc <ubpc@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > how can I add a folder ("C:\this folder") to the list of places
    > displayed on the left side bar of the "save as" window--- currently it
    > lists : "My Recent Documents"
    > "Desktop"
    > "My Documents"
    > "My Computer" and
    > "My Network Places"

    Hi,

    This can be easily accomplished with the help of TweakUI powertoy for Windows XP. Under TweakUI,
    navigate to 'common dialog > places bar' and you can specify your custom places here.

    Download TweakUI here:

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "ubpc" <ubpc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how can I add a folder ("C:\this folder") to the list of places displayed on
    > the left side bar of the "save as" window--- currently it lists :
    > "My Recent Documents"
    > "Desktop"
    > "My Documents"
    > "My Computer" and
    > "My Network Places"

My Documents Microsoft Windows XP Displays