Equipment for a medical android.

Last response: in Video Games
February 8, 2005 1:38:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I'm building an NPC as a humanoid (female) robot, HIGHLY cinematic
(INT 12 and many skills) which is a doctor, surgeon, etc.

I think "she" is going to be equipped with 75.000 $ of built-in
equipment (bought as "Signature Gear", since I couldn't find anything
better to represent it pointwise).

I thought to give her:
- scalpels in the fingers
- needles in the fingers
- equipment for closing wounds
- magnifying lens over the eyes when needed
- an internal blood reserve

Any thoughts on what could be useful, and where to put it?
Remember that she HAS TO look like an ordinary girl (for more than one
reason in the game).

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."

tobias.langner wrote:
> Korin Duval wrote:
> > I'm building an NPC as a humanoid (female) robot, HIGHLY cinematic
> > (INT 12 and many skills) which is a doctor, surgeon, etc.
> >
> > I think "she" is going to be equipped with 75.000 $ of built-in
> > equipment (bought as "Signature Gear", since I couldn't find
anything
> > better to represent it pointwise).

I would think some specific advantages might work beter for several of
these.

> > I thought to give her:
> > - scalpels in the fingers

Claws would work since they can theoreticaly also be used in combat.
Add accesability limitations or limited uses if combat use would blunt
them too much for medical purposes.

> > - needles in the fingers

Also claws even more limited but add a folow up atack in the form of an
afliction to represent the drugs delivered or a modular ability limited
to aflictions delivered as a folow up to represent a range of possible
drugs.

> > - equipment for closing wounds

A perk giving a +2 to First aid rolls if the subject has an open wound
(GM call).

> > - magnifying lens over the eyes when needed

IDHMBWM but I do believe there's a microscopic vision advantage. If
you want the use to be obvious lenses popping out add in a temporary
disadvantage limitation of an unnatural feature.

> > - an internal blood reserve

Cargo compartment limited accesability blood only. The blood in it
might be signature gear though (although as often as it needed to be
replaced I'd be more likely to treat is as ordinary gear).

> > Korin Duval
> >
> -an internal storage room for medicine, some of it cooled down for
> special medicine

Again a cargo compartment a refigerated unit would be an aditional
perk. Alternatively you could buy the drugs themselves as a series of
afliction atacks with limited uses.

> -spray-skin or something equal

Isn't this just a specific way to close wounds?

> -small chemical analysis lab (in mouth and nose obviously)

Some form of the detect advantage perhaps?

> -x-rays (projector in the eyes, detector in the arm or so if you want
it
> more realistic - or just the eyes if not)

Penetrating vision with apropriate accesability limitations.

> if she is a military project - exceptional strength and speed to
rescue
> soldiers from the battelfield

I would think extra strenght would be a plus in any kind of emergency
work. Paramedics wouldn't need to wait for the "Jaws of Life" if they
had an android that could rip apart metal with it's bare hands and any
ER would need someone strong enough to handle patients who become
beligerent, start thrashing in delirium, or otherwise freak out.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:11:12 PM

Korin Duval wrote:
> I'm building an NPC as a humanoid (female) robot, HIGHLY cinematic
> (INT 12 and many skills) which is a doctor, surgeon, etc.
>
> I think "she" is going to be equipped with 75.000 $ of built-in
> equipment (bought as "Signature Gear", since I couldn't find anything
> better to represent it pointwise).
>
> I thought to give her:
> - scalpels in the fingers
> - needles in the fingers
> - equipment for closing wounds
> - magnifying lens over the eyes when needed
> - an internal blood reserve
>
> Any thoughts on what could be useful, and where to put it?
> Remember that she HAS TO look like an ordinary girl (for more than one
> reason in the game).
>

> Korin Duval

-an internal storage room for medicine, some of it cooled down for
special medicine

-spray-skin or something equal

-small chemical analysis lab (in mouth and nose obviously)

-x-rays (projector in the eyes, detector in the arm or so if you want it
more realistic - or just the eyes if not)

if she is a military project - exceptional strength and speed to rescue
soldiers from the battelfield
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:11:13 PM

tobias.langner wrote:

> -x-rays (projector in the eyes, detector in the arm or so if you want it
> more realistic - or just the eyes if not)

A sonar would be more appropriate in some games.

Jefferson
http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 11:56:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:38:44 GMT, korinNOduvalSPAM@yahoo.it (Korin
Duval) wrote:

>I'm building an NPC as a humanoid (female) robot, HIGHLY cinematic
>(INT 12 and many skills) which is a doctor, surgeon, etc.
>
>I think "she" is going to be equipped with 75.000 $ of built-in
>equipment (bought as "Signature Gear", since I couldn't find anything
>better to represent it pointwise).>
>I thought to give her:
>- scalpels in the fingers
>- needles in the fingers
>- equipment for closing wounds
>- magnifying lens over the eyes when needed
>- an internal blood reserve
>
>Any thoughts on what could be useful, and where to put it?
>Remember that she HAS TO look like an ordinary girl (for more than one
>reason in the game).

Naturally the first thought that occured to me was very obscene. The
second wasn't just obscene, but highly perverse. In any case I doubt
she'd be able to carry enough blood to do much good so she'd be better
off with internal drug reserves. Analgesics, morphiates, adrenalin,
broad spectrum antibiotics...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:38:06 PM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:25:00 -0800, Richard Brown wrote:

>> > - an internal blood reserve
>
> Cargo compartment limited accesability blood only. The blood in it
> might be signature gear though (although as often as it needed to be
> replaced I'd be more likely to treat is as ordinary gear).

One special effect for this you may consider is a synthetic blood system
(heart/bump, bone marrow, veins) for the android so that it replicates the
human circulatory system. The synthetic blood would probably serve as a
lubricant or distribution system within the android, but it would be
formulated to be a universal blood plasma. The bonus here is that the
supply would be self regenerating, given time, and that its use
would resemble a transfusion. You could even offset the cost of the system
by taking disadvantages for bleeding damage or something like that.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 8:52:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:11:12 +0100, "tobias.langner"
<tobias.langner@t-online.de> wrote:

[...]
>-an internal storage room for medicine, some of it cooled down for
>special medicine

Fine! Added!

>-spray-skin or something equal

Added!

>-small chemical analysis lab (in mouth and nose obviously)

There was, I forgot to mention! Sorry!

>-x-rays (projector in the eyes, detector in the arm or so if you want it
>more realistic - or just the eyes if not)

Mhhh... I need to think of it.
Maybe it would be more practical an ecograph.

>if she is a military project - exceptional strength and speed to rescue
>soldiers from the battelfield

No, she isn't. ^___________^
She has ST 10 and HT 12.
She has, however, DR 2 (tough skin -40%), Unliving, and Unkillable 1
(shuts down with backup, needs a special sound key to reactivate...
After some repairs, of course).
Maybe I'll post the complete character sheet.

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:23:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:56:36 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David
Johnston) wrote:

[...]
>>Remember that she HAS TO look like an ordinary girl (for more than one
>>reason in the game).
>
>Naturally the first thought that occured to me was very obscene. The
>second wasn't just obscene, but highly perverse.

Yes, she DOES looks like a cute-but-sexy-innocent-barely-legal-nurse.
But it's a HUMOROUS character (and an useful NPC when a PC gets a
bullet). ^_____________^

>In any case I doubt
>she'd be able to carry enough blood to do much good so she'd be better
>off with internal drug reserves. Analgesics, morphiates, adrenalin,
>broad spectrum antibiotics...

How much blood is needed for a life-saving?
An half-liter, or a liter shouldn't be THAT hard to conceal.

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:23:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On 8 Feb 2005 10:25:00 -0800, "Richard Brown" <rbrown@myriad.com>
wrote:

[...]
>I would think some specific advantages might work beter for several of
>these.

Let's see.

>> > I thought to give her:
>> > - scalpels in the fingers
>
>Claws would work since they can theoreticaly also be used in combat.

I forgot to say I counted Claws in the point total. ^_______^

[...]
>> > - needles in the fingers
>
>Also claws even more limited but add a folow up atack in the form of an
>afliction to represent the drugs delivered or a modular ability limited
>to aflictions delivered as a folow up to represent a range of possible
>drugs.

D'OH!
I completely forgot of "combat uses" of these.

But here comes back an old problem: something like this can be bought
as Signature Gear (less expensive), or MUST be bought as Innate
Attack?

I mean, I couldn't of course charge points for "Innate Attack" if a PC
carried a weapon he found or bought with money. Even if the weapon is
somehow stored "inside".

>> > - equipment for closing wounds
>
>A perk giving a +2 to First aid rolls if the subject has an open wound
>(GM call).

Fine. The game effect are not so different.

>> > - magnifying lens over the eyes when needed
>
>IDHMBWM but I do believe there's a microscopic vision advantage. If
>you want the use to be obvious lenses popping out add in a temporary
>disadvantage limitation of an unnatural feature.

There is. But I didn't want to be microscopic vision, but just a
magnifying lens, more or less able to magnify an image five to ten
times.

>> > - an internal blood reserve
>
>Cargo compartment limited accesability blood only. The blood in it
>might be signature gear though (although as often as it needed to be
>replaced I'd be more likely to treat is as ordinary gear).

It would be more or less worth 1 CP, so there's not that much
difference in point value.

[...]
>> -small chemical analysis lab (in mouth and nose obviously)
>
>Some form of the detect advantage perhaps?

Discriminatory Taste [10] and Chemistry (IQ) [4] could work, IMVVVHO.

[...]
>> if she is a military project - exceptional strength and speed to
>> rescue
>> soldiers from the battelfield
>
>I would think extra strenght would be a plus in any kind of emergency
>work.
[...]

Yes. I'll make it stronger in a future version.
Until now, "she" has ST 10, since it's a prototype and blah blah
blah... [insert GM excuse here]

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 10:23:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:23:55 GMT, korinNOduvalSPAM@yahoo.it (Korin
Duval) wrote:

>On 8 Feb 2005 10:25:00 -0800, "Richard Brown" <rbrown@myriad.com>
>wrote:

<snip>

>>Also claws even more limited but add a folow up atack in the form of an
>>afliction to represent the drugs delivered or a modular ability limited
>>to aflictions delivered as a folow up to represent a range of possible
>>drugs.
>
>D'OH!
>I completely forgot of "combat uses" of these.
>
>But here comes back an old problem: something like this can be bought
>as Signature Gear (less expensive), or MUST be bought as Innate
>Attack?
>
>I mean, I couldn't of course charge points for "Innate Attack" if a PC
>carried a weapon he found or bought with money. Even if the weapon is
>somehow stored "inside".

My reading of the rules is that Signature Gear can still be taken away
from a character (but the GM has to give the character a chance to get
it back), while Innate Attack can't. Which advantage fits the character
conception better?

<snip>
--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/&gt; robkelk -at- gmail -dot- com
"And really, you think people who watch Japanese cartoons would be a

Duval) wrote:

>D'OH!
>I completely forgot of "combat uses" of these.
>
>But here comes back an old problem: something like this can be bought
>as Signature Gear (less expensive), or MUST be bought as Innate
>Attack?
>
>I mean, I couldn't of course charge points for "Innate Attack" if a PC
>carried a weapon he found or bought with money. Even if the weapon is
>somehow stored "inside".

Dude, we have no idea what the tech level is of your game so how could
we answer? And if this character is an NPC...why are you budgeting?
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:45:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:38:06 -0600, Jason Kirk
<usenet@captain.custard.org> wrote:

>One special effect for this you may consider is a synthetic blood system
>(heart/bump, bone marrow, veins) for the android so that it replicates the
>human circulatory system. The synthetic blood would probably serve as a
>lubricant or distribution system within the android, but it would be
>formulated to be a universal blood plasma. The bonus here is that the
>supply would be self regenerating, given time, and that its use
>would resemble a transfusion. You could even offset the cost of the system
>by taking disadvantages for bleeding damage or something like that.

A part from being an AMAZING idea, IMO, that gave me another idea.
Artificial heart and lungs, allowing the android to work as a
heart-lung machine.
Of course, this would blow ANY kind of resemblance to a human being,
when "she" opens to reveal the pipes and everything else. ^__^;

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:33:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:47:39 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David
Johnston) wrote:

[...]
>>I mean, I couldn't of course charge points for "Innate Attack" if a PC
>>carried a weapon he found or bought with money. Even if the weapon is
>>somehow stored "inside".
>
>Dude, we have no idea what the tech level is of your game so how could
>we answer? And if this character is an NPC...why are you budgeting?

Answers:
- More or less TL 9, but with MUCH refined androids and IA to boost.

- I'm budgeting just to get a glimpse on a presumed point cost, in
case one of my players liked to build an android PC, and/or to post
the result on the NG.

- The main purpose of this post was to know what, in your opinion,
should/could be included inside a medical android, with a limited
space (no nanotech) and a limited budget (more or less 75.000 Euro or
$, today prices).

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:33:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:00:10 -0500, Rob Kelk <robkelk@deadspam.com>
wrote:

[...]
>My reading of the rules is that Signature Gear can still be taken away
>from a character (but the GM has to give the character a chance to get
>it back), while Innate Attack can't.
[...]

I agree.

But what if the "weapon" is a built-in needle capable of injecting
various substances, and the substances are various chemicals stored
inside the body (let's say: the body of a robot, incapable of
replacing them without having them supplied from outside)?

The "weapon" itself is built-in and almost impossible to remove.
The "bullets", however, can (and MUST) be replaced from outside, while
it's true they are stored inside the body and can't be snatched or
stolen without ripping the robot apart or with its permission.

I must admit I still have to get fully used to 4th edition... Any
opinion?

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:41:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:33:17 GMT, korinNOduvalSPAM@yahoo.it (Korin
Duval) wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:00:10 -0500, Rob Kelk <robkelk@deadspam.com>
>wrote:
>
>[...]
>>My reading of the rules is that Signature Gear can still be taken away
>>from a character (but the GM has to give the character a chance to get
>>it back), while Innate Attack can't.
>[...]
>
>I agree.
>
>But what if the "weapon" is a built-in needle capable of injecting
>various substances, and the substances are various chemicals stored
>inside the body (let's say: the body of a robot, incapable of
>replacing them without having them supplied from outside)?
>
>The "weapon" itself is built-in and almost impossible to remove.
>The "bullets", however, can (and MUST) be replaced from outside, while
>it's true they are stored inside the body and can't be snatched or
>stolen without ripping the robot apart or with its permission.

Limited Use with Slow Reload.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 1:46:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <420a5b15.3237375@powernews.libero.it>,
Korin Duval <korinNOduvalSPAM@yahoo.it> wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:56:36 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David
>Johnston) wrote:
<snip>
>>In any case I doubt
>>she'd be able to carry enough blood to do much good so she'd be better
>>off with internal drug reserves. Analgesics, morphiates, adrenalin,
>>broad spectrum antibiotics...
>
>How much blood is needed for a life-saving?
>An half-liter, or a liter shouldn't be THAT hard to conceal.

Synthetic blood could be stored dried, she drinks water,
purifies it and uses it to hydrate the powdered blood, with a good
purification system she could make blood from puddles, ditch water
etc etc

--
Michael
NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

Korin Duval wrote:

> The "weapon" itself is built-in and almost impossible to remove.
> The "bullets", however, can (and MUST) be replaced from outside, while
> it's true they are stored inside the body and can't be snatched or
> stolen without ripping the robot apart or with its permission.
>
> I must admit I still have to get fully used to 4th edition... Any
> opinion?

In the end it's the GM's decision. Personally, I would have no problems with
and Innate Attack (for the needles) combined with Signature Gear (for the drugs).

Jefferson
http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 8:05:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

> Maybe I'll post the complete character sheet.

I'd really like to see it.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:09:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <cua6ng$r1t$05$1@news.t-online.com>,
tobias.langner <tobias.langner@t-online.de> wrote:
>Korin Duval wrote:
>> I'm building an NPC as a humanoid (female) robot, HIGHLY cinematic
>> (INT 12 and many skills) which is a doctor, surgeon, etc.
>>
>> I think "she" is going to be equipped with 75.000 $ of built-in
>> equipment (bought as "Signature Gear", since I couldn't find anything
>> better to represent it pointwise).
>>
>> I thought to give her:
>> - scalpels in the fingers
>> - needles in the fingers
>> - equipment for closing wounds
>> - magnifying lens over the eyes when needed
>> - an internal blood reserve
>>
>> Any thoughts on what could be useful, and where to put it?
>> Remember that she HAS TO look like an ordinary girl (for more than one
>> reason in the game).

GURPS Big Eyes Small Mouth?

--
"Will we be suturing the anus?"
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <420a6326.74796@powernews.libero.it>,
Korin Duval <korinNOduvalSPAM@yahoo.it> wrote:
>On 8 Feb 2005 10:25:00 -0800, "Richard Brown" <rbrown@myriad.com>
>wrote:
>
>[...]
>>I would think some specific advantages might work beter for several of
>>these.
>
>Let's see.

>>Claws would work since they can theoreticaly also be used in combat.
>
>I forgot to say I counted Claws in the point total. ^_______^
>
>[...]
>>
>>Also claws even more limited but add a folow up atack in the form of an
>>afliction to represent the drugs delivered or a modular ability limited
>>to aflictions delivered as a folow up to represent a range of possible
>>drugs.
>
>D'OH!
>I completely forgot of "combat uses" of these.
>
>But here comes back an old problem: something like this can be bought
>as Signature Gear (less expensive), or MUST be bought as Innate
>Attack?
>
>I mean, I couldn't of course charge points for "Innate Attack" if a PC
>carried a weapon he found or bought with money. Even if the weapon is
>somehow stored "inside".

Is the medical android even capable of making an attack? If Pacifism:
First do no harm, then there are no weapons or attacks, only medical
instruments and healing skills.
--
"Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and win
by experience."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:12:28 +0000 (UTC), glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu
(Gregory L. Hansen) wrote:

<snip>

>Is the medical android even capable of making an attack? If Pacifism:
>First do no harm, then there are no weapons or attacks, only medical
>instruments and healing skills.

Sometimes it's necessary to inflict some temporary suffering in order to
avoid lasting harm to the patient. (I vaugely recall a line from the
second season of "Enterprise" that applies here; IIRC, it went "I'm
sworn to do no harm; I can cause as much pain as I like.")

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/&gt; robkelk -at- gmail -dot- com
"And really, you think people who watch Japanese cartoons would be a
little more understanding of the seemingly odd hobbies of other fringe
groups." - Chris "Blade" McNeil on rec.arts.anime.misc, 20 Jan 2004
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:51:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:12:28 +0000 (UTC),
glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote:

>>I mean, I couldn't of course charge points for "Innate Attack" if a PC
>>carried a weapon he found or bought with money. Even if the weapon is
>>somehow stored "inside".
>
>Is the medical android even capable of making an attack? If Pacifism:
>First do no harm, then there are no weapons or attacks, only medical
>instruments and healing skills.

You mean medical instruments like needles full of enough tranquiliser
to knock out a rhino, and healing skills enough to avoid giving an
overdose?
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 5:13:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <420b8b1d.446039806@news.telusplanet.net>,
David Johnston <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:12:28 +0000 (UTC),
>glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote:
>

>>>I mean, I couldn't of course charge points for "Innate Attack" if a PC
>>>carried a weapon he found or bought with money. Even if the weapon is
>>>somehow stored "inside".
>>
>>Is the medical android even capable of making an attack? If Pacifism:
>>First do no harm, then there are no weapons or attacks, only medical
>>instruments and healing skills.
>
>You mean medical instruments like needles full of enough tranquiliser
>to knock out a rhino, and healing skills enough to avoid giving an
>overdose?

Absolutely. Why would a medical android use medical instruments for a
non-medical use? Even if she wanted a particular annoying person out of
the way, even if it occured to her that her medical instruments could be
used to make that happen, she must still be "allowed" (the capability was
explicity added to her programming) to take an offensive action.

Not to say it can't be mighty convenient if she could. But I could
imagine an exchange like:

"We have to get that guard out of the way."

"I'll ask him to move."

"Don't do that! Just tranquilize him."

"He doesn't need medical assistance."

"I know. Just do it to get him out of the way."

"I'll ask if he requires pain killers."

"No, just do it without asking."

"You're nuts. I can't perform a medical operation on him without a
diagnosed need and permission from him or his legal guardian!"

"It's not a medical operation, just make him sleep for a while."

"I could hit him."

"You're loaded with tranquilizers!"

"Those are medical supplies, silly."

--
"I'm giving you the chance to look fate in those pretty eyes of hers
and say, 'Step off, bitch. This is my party and you're not invited.'"

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 02:13:21 +0000 (UTC),
glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote:

>In article <420b8b1d.446039806@news.telusplanet.net>,
>David Johnston <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote:

>>>Is the medical android even capable of making an attack? If Pacifism:
>>>First do no harm, then there are no weapons or attacks, only medical
>>>instruments and healing skills.
>>
>>You mean medical instruments like needles full of enough tranquiliser
>>to knock out a rhino, and healing skills enough to avoid giving an
>>overdose?
>
>Absolutely. Why would a medical android use medical instruments for a
>non-medical use? Even if she wanted a particular annoying person out of
>the way, even if it occured to her that her medical instruments could be
>used to make that happen, she must still be "allowed" (the capability was
>explicity added to her programming)

It sounds she's a sentient machine, so she's unlikely to be that rigid
in her responses
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 10:57:55 PM

David Johnston wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 02:13:21 +0000 (UTC),
> glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote:

> >Absolutely. Why would a medical android use medical instruments for
> >non-medical use? Even if she wanted a particular annoying person
out of
> >the way, even if it occured to her that her medical instruments
could be
> >used to make that happen, she must still be "allowed" (the
capability was
> >explicity added to her programming)
>
> It sounds she's a sentient machine, so she's unlikely to be that
rigid
> in her responses

It depends on what the designer/GM wants. She may be sentient, but
she's also programmed, and by accident or design if something gets
flagged as "my medical tool" it may not be logically available to her
for anything else. The players might easily convince her that a hypo
with a trnquilizer can be used offensively, that it can be used in a
way that won't endanger the victim, that it has been successfully used
that way, that it would be appropriate to use it that way right now,
and it's a good idea for someone in the group to get a hypo and
tranquilizer and use it. But when they get to the part about her using
her own hypo and tranquilizer that way, no matter how hard they try
she's just unable to see the connection, and thinks they're being
silly.

Helpful hints for annoying the munchkins that thought they had a
walking arsenal at their disposal.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:57:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:46:12 +0000 (UTC), mlush@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk (Mr.
M.J. Lush) wrote:

>Synthetic blood could be stored dried, she drinks water,
>purifies it and uses it to hydrate the powdered blood, with a good
>purification system she could make blood from puddles, ditch water
>etc etc

COOL! ^_____________^

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:57:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:12:28 +0000 (UTC),
glhansen@steel.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory L. Hansen) wrote:

[...]
>Is the medical android even capable of making an attack? If Pacifism:
>First do no harm, then there are no weapons or attacks, only medical
>instruments and healing skills.

By the way I concevied the character, "she" will be able to harm
people, according to "her" needs, programming, etc.
No "3 laws of robotics". ^__^;

Korin Duval

--

!