Sign in with
Your question

HP Wide 19" LCD monitor problems (blacking out)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 8, 2006 6:19:35 PM

Hi.

I have a HP w19 19" LCD flad panel monitor. It works fine, except for a few weird problems.

It's hooked up using DVI. I have the screenresolution 1440x990 with 60hz update rate. Using an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro based graphics card.

I've also tried resolution from 800x600, 1024x768 and upward, and the problem still remains

1. When the computer starts up the screen stays black up until you get to choose which profile to use in XP

2. Sometimes when you scroll pages using IE the screen blacks out, becomes black for about 2 seconds, then returns to normal

3. In games (in this case RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, The Movies) the blacking out occurs more often, almost everytime you scroll in the game.

I haven't been able to find anything about this problem, neither on HP's homepage nor on ATI's homepage. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?
October 8, 2006 11:21:10 PM

Just guessing here... but that 9000 is rather old. Are you sure the resolution you're using is supported by that card?
October 16, 2006 12:29:05 AM

LCD’s don’t flick. They might have a problem average response time, which is a characteristic problem of LCD’s.

So check in the manual and in the manufacturers website for info on the response time of your monitor.

And as Hose already mention, this could be due to the graphic card. (1440x990 is quite a resolution)
Related resources
February 19, 2007 3:36:25 PM

Sorry for the extremely long responds!! I appreciate you guys having suggestions about this, but my problem still remains. I used the normal cable instead of the DVI one for awhile but have switched back to DVI to see if I could do anything about the "flickering".

Anyway, I've tried to lower the resolution and the problem still remains even though I go down to 800x600, 1024x768, so it doesn't seem to be a resolution question. Anyone else who has a comment on this?
April 6, 2007 6:33:19 AM

ATI did have an issue with blanking video but I didn't think it was with this video card. At any rate make sure you've downloaded their latest driver.

Did the issue appear with VGA?

Can you verify with another system or different graphics card?

Typically monitors should not flash video unless the sync signals are unstable from the graphics card. You normally see this when the system is first booting up with the mode changing.
So my thinking is that:
1) signal dropout from graphics card, or
2) defective monitor, sync detection circuitry most likely culprit

Graphics drivers can fix this type of issue these days as they control many many functions including signal integrity parameters.
Let me know what you find out.
!