no primary IDE?!

Bazman

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
I have just put together a P4P800-E and a Samsung spinpiont 120Gb SATA drive but in the BIOS the Primary IDE master is listed as 'not detected' Secondary IDE master 'ATAPI DVD RW' third IDE master 'SASUNG SP1213C' what the hell?! I only have the one SATA HDD drive attatched and one DVD-RW drive but it refuses to recognise the HDD drive as the primary master! I have plugged it into SATA port1 but it makes no diference if I use the other PORT. It does boot fine however, but it is really pissing me off!
Would be much obliged if someone could point out what I am doing wrong or how to correct it. Cheers

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
First off, what board are you using. Because usually, there are 2 ide channels per board, which means 2 masters, and 2 slaves. So your 3rd "master drive" is confusing me. If you do have 3 ide slots, you might have to have 1 and 2 filled instead of 2 and 3. Also, you will probably need to enable your sata hard drive in bios, and make sure that it is in correct boot order. But really, your system specs would be nice.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
The strange thing here is that SATA can only have one drive per channel...so there is no such thing as a master slave configuration.

Why are you so bothered anyway?

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
It's because Primary Master refers to the ATA device that is master on IDE channel 0. In your setup you don't have one. You can make the DVDRW drive primary master if you want. You don't need a primary master to boot, you can boot from wherever you like, as you are successfully doing.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, your BIOS says you have no Primary IDE Master because you don't have any drive connected there! You have the SATA connencted to the SATA controller, and the DVD-RW connected to Secondary IDE Master, and nothing connected to the Primary IDE master! D00D, look at your board, you'll see for yourself, you have 2 40-pin connectors there and 1 of them isn't being used! In fact you even TOLD us so!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>