Vertical lines on Toshiba Satellite P100-429 LCD screen

Darkglasses

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any suggests posted.

I hae been given my sisters laptops to fix as they a a few very thin /vertical lines, different codes,that have appeared on the screen.

I have plugged in a normal CRT monitor int the VGA port on the back and am get a perfect picture. Thus the problem is a hardware problem with the screen and not a problem with the graphics card. I have been looking at new screens and the half dozen vertical lines doesn't warrent speaking £100 for a new screen, then the hassle of fitting the thing.

What confuses me is that the lines do not affect the mouse pointer? This is to say that the lines are seen on everything but when you hove the mouse over them, the ouse pointer looks fine. Any ideas on why this is a if the problem was a vertical stack of pixels being affected then this should surely affect the mouse pointer. Anycoments are gladly welcome . . .

Regards,
john

Darkglasses

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Cheers HPrometheus

I removed the graphics card in the device manager and download new drivers but no joy, stil had the lines. You don't think it is a hardware problem?

Darkglasses

HPrometheus

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

Hmm, it very well could be, but I'm picking up on the same thing you are...the mouse pointer looks ok sometimes when over those lines. At the worst, it's the LCD inverter which means you need a new screen. Give me a few days if you have the time, and I will ask an HP Engineer about the problem.

We'll figure this out.

HPrometheus

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I found out what's going on, your LCD inverter is going out...so it is a hardware problem :( Unfortunately you would have to replace the screen...you may be better off either selling that laptop and buying a new one, or sporting the funds yourself and having a mom and pop shop replace the screen.

reh385

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I have the same issue with my p100 toshiba satellite
vertical lines, a few in turquise color
but now it is worse

I had about a 1 inch strip - vertical that has been flickering
now it is completly white
and at 1 inch
it is too big and i can not read whats on my screen

any help? anyone? ideas?

i love this thing, would love to do a easy fix and keep it

it is 5 yrs old already so cant dump too much in it

called staples store= they had the answer= do a $70 diagnosis

I said yeah-to decide if i even need a $100 screen, i will spend $70 for them to play with it

Thanks all, waiting your help

robert

reh385

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

I have the same issue with my p100 toshiba satellite
vertical lines, a few in turquise color
but now it is worse

I had about a 1 inch strip - vertical that has been flickering
now it is completly white
and at 1 inch
it is too big and i can not read whats on my screen

any help? anyone? ideas?

i love this thing, would love to do a easy fix and keep it

it is 5 yrs old already so cant dump too much in it

called staples store= they had the answer= do a $70 diagnosis

I said yeah-to decide if i even need a $100 screen, i will spend $70 for them to play with it

Thanks all, waiting your help

robert