Upgrade a Dell Inspiron 2650

Status
Not open for further replies.

98silvz71

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I have a Inspiron 2650 that I blended together with a 2600. I upgraded the ram to the full capacity (512MB, I know it sucks) and added a Pioneer DVD-RW drive and a Hitachi 7200RPM 60GB HDD. I had the new parts in a 2600 which was a PIII 1.0Ghz CPU with integrated graphics. I moved them over to the 2650 because it had a working battery, P4m 1.7Ghz, and a Geforce 2 16mb graphics card. I just had to move my screen over to make it work.

My question: I was looking around for a battery and came across the processor replacements. It seems like I can go all the way up to a 2.4Ghz P4m. I did some research and they look the same just with a different multiplier. Would moving from a 1.7Ghz to a 2.4Ghz help that much? I can barely watch a movie on VLC player. It shudders once in awhile and the CPU usage is about 85% or so. I can get a used one for about 40 bucks so its not too bad.

Also does anyone know if I could maybe put the 32MB Geforce 2 in this thing instead of the 16mb GF2? I think the 32MB is a MX240 and the 16MB is the 200 Value or something along those lines. So far I haven't been able to find an answer.

And lastly, I appreciate your help but please don't tell me I need to upgrade to a new laptop. That is out of the question. I don't have enough money to get what I would like and I generally use this for internet, music, and movies. So any help to my questions would be appreciated. Thanks

Link to processor I am considering putting in.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL6VC

SS of CPU-Z from my 2650
gallery_18066_186_18778.jpg

Dystractia

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
hi there im thinking of doing the same thing with my 2650, however im thinking the extra heat may be a problem...

as a result i would recommend you either go for this 2.4ghz http://processorfinder.intel.com/de...s with pineview in 2010 im thinking that way!

98silvz71

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
You cannot put anything else in it other that the P4m series processors that have the 100mhz FSB. Those are higher FSB processors. I have put the SL6VC 2.4Ghz one in, I got it off ebay for about 30 bucks. My usage on VLC has gone done to about 60% and it is the same wattage as the 1.7ghz that it replaced. I ran pcmark05 just for kicks before and after the swap and it got about 300 more marks with the new 2.4ghz. I am working on getting a new laptop for doing more things and just giving this one to my folks. I also just downloaded rivatuner and o/c the graphics card a few mhz. It seemed to help with looking at pictures and what not.

Dystractia

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
ur right about the FSB but i got the 2.6 link wrong, http://processorfinder.intel.com/de... if rivatune complains about the clock speeds

jimpeoples1

Distinguished
May 21, 2009

Hello: I came across while researching what upgrades I could do with the 2650 I recently aquired. I notice you mention the processor has to be a P4M series with 100 Mhz front side bus. If I understand correctly it looks like the SL6VC has a 400Mhz FSB speed. Am I reading that right? Was it worth spending the $30 on? If so, I will do this upgrade also.
Thanks, Jim

giac0m0

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hi there - please excuse this question, but can you tell me the name of the connector that is on the Dell Motherboard for the Hard Disc?

I have a fritzed XP install on my hard disc and the DVD refuses to read CD's (both XP and Ubuntu discs). I can't find a way to USB boot, so I want to remove the drive and access the data. When I pulled the disc out, I could not find an adapter for the unusual flat pin IDE connector.

Do you know what the connector is called or how to adapt it?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.