Suggested melee weapon legality

Mika

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

After roaming through all my GURPS books (3rd ed. including both
companions). I seem to be unable to find legality class ratings (or
suggestions) for melee weapons. Any pointers or suggestions ?

For example how illegal/legal is sword, knife, tonfa and what kind of
punishment one could expect for using them. Assault, aggravated assault,
or just fines in various countries.

I'm trying to make bunch on rulings that make sense for near future
martial art campaign, and one of my players insist on carrying a
collapsible nunchaku for example.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <421631e7_2@news.dnainternet.net>,
Mika <atomiclich@hotmail.com> wrote:
>After roaming through all my GURPS books (3rd ed. including both
>companions). I seem to be unable to find legality class ratings (or
>suggestions) for melee weapons. Any pointers or suggestions ?
>
>For example how illegal/legal is sword, knife, tonfa and what kind of
>punishment one could expect for using them. Assault, aggravated assault,
> or just fines in various countries.
>
>I'm trying to make bunch on rulings that make sense for near future
>martial art campaign, and one of my players insist on carrying a
>collapsible nunchaku for example.

I think that might be better addressed by checking local laws where the
campaign will take place. It varies widely. E.g. in some states it's
easy to get a concealed carry permit for a handgun, in others it's hard
to legally own a handgun in your home. And that can change suddenly,
e.g. carry permits in Minnesota. It can vary by city, especially bans on
specific martial arts type weapons like nunchuks or throwing stars,
usually after they become popular with the local kids. It can matter
whether the weapon is concealed or not. There's a difference between an
unloaded rifle in its case in the trunk of your car and a loaded rifle in
the front seat with you. It can matter what the police officer thinks
your intent is, e.g. nunchuks in a gym bag with your other gear as you're
going to or from the dojo, versus collapsible and concealed nunchuks when
you're caught skulking about a neighborhood.

But I would think assault with a deadly weapon is assault with a deadly
weapon. Expect nunchuks to be considered a deadly weapon if it ever gets
to court.

--
"Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and win
by experience."

Mika wrote:
> After roaming through all my GURPS books (3rd ed. including both
> companions). I seem to be unable to find legality class ratings (or
> suggestions) for melee weapons. Any pointers or suggestions ?

IIRC GURPS Cops has a "box" (former side bar) on the subject.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Mika wrote:
> After roaming through all my GURPS books (3rd ed. including both
> companions). I seem to be unable to find legality class ratings (or
> suggestions) for melee weapons. Any pointers or suggestions ?
>
> For example how illegal/legal is sword, knife, tonfa and what kind of
> punishment one could expect for using them. Assault, aggravated assault,
> or just fines in various countries.
>
> I'm trying to make bunch on rulings that make sense for near future
> martial art campaign, and one of my players insist on carrying a
> collapsible nunchaku for example.

Even in the modern day weapon laws vary from country to country and with
in the states/provinces of those countries. For countries that are based
on current countries simply find the current laws for the country and
extrapolate on how you want the country to feel in the future (relaxed
or tighened laws) and go from there.

On another note I'm not sure how you could make a pair of nunchaku
collapsible unless it was made from a pair of collapsible batons and a
piece of wire, and at that point it would be almost to much of a pain in
the ass to ready the weapon.
Ken

Mika wrote:
> After roaming through all my GURPS books (3rd ed. including both
> companions). I seem to be unable to find legality class ratings (or
> suggestions) for melee weapons. Any pointers or suggestions ?
>
> For example how illegal/legal is sword, knife, tonfa and what kind of
> punishment one could expect for using them. Assault, aggravated assault,
> or just fines in various countries.
>
> I'm trying to make bunch on rulings that make sense for near future
> martial art campaign, and one of my players insist on carrying a
> collapsible nunchaku for example.

try european weapon laws. In Germany all forms of fire weapons are
forbidden - exceptions are hunters and sport-shooters. Automatic weapons
are only for the military and the police

Melee weapons are rated by their usefullness to the civil life. Pocket
knifes (swiss army for example) are allowed for everyone and everywhere.
Large knifes are allowed for everyone, but you are not allowed to carry
them to public events (e.g. concerts or in public transport). Swords
should be treated like long knifes as far as I know - or you are only
allowed to carry them at home.
Butterfly knifes, shurican and other weapons that have only the
weapon-purpose are not allowed at all.
I don't know about tonfa though.

Mika wrote:
> I'm trying to make bunch on rulings that make sense for near future
> martial art campaign, and one of my players insist on carrying a
> collapsible nunchaku for example.

I don't know how the situation is in other countries, but here in Germany,
nunchakus of any kind are prohibited because you can use them to choke
people and get good leverage with the sticks.

"Mika" <atomiclich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After roaming through all my GURPS books (3rd ed. including both
> companions). I seem to be unable to find legality class ratings (or
> suggestions) for melee weapons. Any pointers or suggestions ?

I've never used the legality classes much, but I think of them as sort of a
general guide more than a hard and fast rule. Weapon legality is obviously
going to vary from culture to culture, but most of the weapons are going to
stay sort of the same in relation to each other. For example, a mortar is
more likely to be subject to more regularion than a hand gun in just about
any culture.

I think it's safe to say melee weapons are going to tend to have a lesser
legality class than guns. Probably common things are going to tend to have
more regulation than uncommon. For example, switchblades are illegal where
I live, but I don't imagine anyone has bothered to pass a law against
carrying a halberd, since no one really tries to do that.