How many processors can Windows XP Professional use?

How many processors can Windows XP Professional use?

Thanks,
5 answers Last reply
More about processors windows professional

    Windows XP Professional supports up to 2 physical processors.

    In news:7AB44D73-3CE1-465B-A261-62003850AA40@microsoft.com,
    Scott <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > How many processors can Windows XP Professional use?

    Two, and XP Home only one.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In news:eIuY30FfFHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Jimmy <jimmy123456789@hotmail.com> typed:

    >> In news:7AB44D73-3CE1-465B-A261-62003850AA40@microsoft.com,
    >> Scott <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> How many processors can Windows XP Professional use?
    >>

    >> Two, and XP Home only one.
    >>

    > Could you please explain this when Xeons are not hyperthreading
    > CPUs?
    > I am using Win XP Pro with SP2.

    Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Can you clarify it,
    please?

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Don't confuse Server based products with traditional Desktop
    CPUs. This is getting to be a complicated topic with the naming
    conventions for chips, Bus speeds and Core technology.
    Check with AnandTech.com & TomsHardware.Com for info
    and technical information on Chips....

    Desktop PCs.
    Home Edition - 1 Physical Chip
    - Which could be a Hyperthreaded Intel and
    appears to XP as two independent processors
    Professional - 2 Physical Chip(s)
    - Each using HT, maxing out at 4 processors
    -or-
    -Two MutliCore CPU's with 4 Physical cores.

    When Multicore CPUs are used, XP's licensing scheme doesn't
    change even though each chip will have two "Physical Cores" not
    HT technology which I don't think will be utilized with Dual-Core
    technology. MultiCore CPU's will have independent L2 Caches
    but share data pathways.

    > In news:eIuY30FfFHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Jimmy <jimmy123456789@hotmail.com> typed:
    >
    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    >>> In news:7AB44D73-3CE1-465B-A261-62003850AA40@microsoft.com,
    >>> Scott <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    >>> Two, and XP Home only one.
    >>>

    >> Could you please explain this when Xeons are not hyperthreading CPUs?
    >> I am using Win XP Pro with SP2.
    >

    > Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Can you clarify it, please?

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

  5. Quote:

    Don't confuse Server based products with traditional Desktop
    CPUs. This is getting to be a complicated topic with the naming
    conventions for chips, Bus speeds and Core technology.
    Check with AnandTech.com & TomsHardware.Com for info
    and technical information on Chips....

    Desktop PCs.
    Home Edition - 1 Physical Chip
    - Which could be a Hyperthreaded Intel and
    appears to XP as two independent processors
    Professional - 2 Physical Chip(s)
    - Each using HT, maxing out at 4 processors
    -or-
    -Two MutliCore CPU's with 4 Physical cores.

    When Multicore CPUs are used, XP's licensing scheme doesn't
    change even though each chip will have two "Physical Cores" not
    HT technology which I don't think will be utilized with Dual-Core
    technology. MultiCore CPU's will have independent L2 Caches
    but share data pathways.

    > In news:eIuY30FfFHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Jimmy <jimmy123456789@hotmail.com> typed:
    >
    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    >>> In news:7AB44D73-3CE1-465B-A261-62003850AA40@microsoft.com,
    >>> Scott <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    >>> Two, and XP Home only one.
    >>>

    >> Could you please explain this when Xeons are not hyperthreading CPUs?
    >> I am using Win XP Pro with SP2.
    >

    > Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. Can you clarify it, please?

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Anonymous:

    Collector,
    Could this (Single threaded programs) be the reason my Athlon XP 3200 blows the doors off my dual core athlon 64X2 4000+ (2 x 2 GHz) even though the Athlon XP has 1GB or RAM and the 64 x2 has 2 GB?

Windows XP Microsoft Processors