Closed

Search Companion hangs then 'program is not responding' me..

I am running XP SP2 with all current updates installed. Sometime after
Windows Update performed an update, I noticed that when I try to run Search
(Start, Search), the search app freezes after I type in the file search
criteria and click the "search" button".

Attempting to close the application results in "this program not
responding." and ultimately
"You chose to end the nonreponsive program, Windows Explorer.",
Please Tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report...
[Send Error Report] [Don't Send]

This is identical to a problem reported on 3/1/2005 but doesn't appear to
have a resolution.

Any ideas?
8 answers Last reply
More about search companion hangs program responding

    HairlipDog58 wrote:

    > I am running XP SP2 with all current updates installed. Sometime after
    > Windows Update performed an update, I noticed that when I try to run Search
    > (Start, Search), the search app freezes after I type in the file search
    > criteria and click the "search" button".
    >
    > Attempting to close the application results in "this program not
    > responding." and ultimately
    > "You chose to end the nonreponsive program, Windows Explorer.",
    > Please Tell Microsoft about this problem.
    > We have created an error report...
    > [Send Error Report] [Don't Send]
    >
    > This is identical to a problem reported on 3/1/2005 but doesn't appear to
    > have a resolution.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Why doesn't Search work?

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I tried all the stuff on http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm and
    that had no effect.

    Not sure what you mean by 'Why doesn't Search work?'

    My problem is:

    "Rock" wrote:

    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    > Why doesn't Search work?
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    you have to disable indexing service.
    Start> control panel > Administrative Tools>Services. Double click
    Services and find the Indexing Service. Double click>properties>Stop.
    From the Status Type Box, select Disabled.
    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    HairlipDog58 wrote:
    > I am running XP SP2 with all current updates installed. Sometime after
    > Windows Update performed an update, I noticed that when I try to run Search
    > (Start, Search), the search app freezes after I type in the file search
    > criteria and click the "search" button".
    >
    > Attempting to close the application results in "this program not
    > responding." and ultimately
    > "You chose to end the nonreponsive program, Windows Explorer.",
    > Please Tell Microsoft about this problem.
    > We have created an error report...
    > [Send Error Report] [Don't Send]
    >
    > This is identical to a problem reported on 3/1/2005 but doesn't appear to
    > have a resolution.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Thank you. Turning off Indexing Service appears to fix the hang problem.

    What are the effects of turning off Indexing Service?
    Am I losing some capabilities?
    Is the indexing file corrupt? If so, can I just delete it and start over?

    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > you have to disable indexing service.
    > Start> control panel > Administrative Tools>Services. Double click
    > Services and find the Indexing Service. Double click>properties>Stop.
    > From the Status Type Box, select Disabled.
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > HairlipDog58 wrote:
    > > I am running XP SP2 with all current updates installed. Sometime after
    > > Windows Update performed an update, I noticed that when I try to run Search
    > > (Start, Search), the search app freezes after I type in the file search
    > > criteria and click the "search" button".
    > >
    > > Attempting to close the application results in "this program not
    > > responding." and ultimately
    > > "You chose to end the nonreponsive program, Windows Explorer.",
    > > Please Tell Microsoft about this problem.
    > > We have created an error report...
    > > [Send Error Report] [Don't Send]
    > >
    > > This is identical to a problem reported on 3/1/2005 but doesn't appear to
    > > have a resolution.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    Indexing service creates a database index of all files on your system
    when the system is otherwise idle. Unless you do frequent searches, it
    is suggested you disable this service.
    Indexing services is a small program that hogs HUGE amounts of RAM and
    can often make a computer endlessly loud and noisy. This system process
    indexing and updates lists of the files on your system, so you can
    search for them quickly, but it's completley unnessesary.

    Ref:-http://www.tweakxp.com/article139784.aspx

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    HairlipDog58 wrote:
    > I tried all the stuff on http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm and
    > that had no effect.
    >
    > Not sure what you mean by 'Why doesn't Search work?'
    >
    > My problem is:
    >
    > When I try to run Search (Start, Search), the search app freezes after I
    > type in the file search criteria and click the "search" button".
    >
    > "Rock" wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >>Why doesn't Search work?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    That means go to that heading in on the top10faq and click on it. I see
    you have it resolved with turning off the indexing service. Glad it's
    fixed.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User