(GURPS) HärnWorld PbP seeking players

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps,rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

In the Thardic Republic, the sons and daughters of the ruling classes
converge on the capital of Coranan to start their careers and seek fortunes.

Each with his own plans and agendas, every (wo)man takes his or her own
road - alone or cooperating with others.

The Republic is a place of politics and intrigue - and sometimes violence,
though this is rare

Merchants, Priests, Politicians and Men of War - all kinds seek the places
of power.

----------------

Would you be interested in joining such a game?

It's an online game, Play-by-Post (or Forum if you like).

Posting is often - daily even. You should be willing to make such an effort.

The emphasis is on interaction - conversation upon conversation upon
conversation - and sometimes a scrap maybe.

Characters are defined in GURPS 4th ed. terms - but don't sweat it. The
system is run mostly by me in the background, and I'll gladly help the
GURPS-illiterate. Search for the free GURPS Lite for 4th edition - it will
help you enormously.

Post or send me a mail - it should be obvious which part of the adress you
should leave out ...

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps,rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

I'm interested, though I'm unfamiliar with the setting. Could you
elaborate on that a bit?

Thanks,
Nicolas

GodFoca wrote:
> I'm interested, though I'm unfamiliar with the setting. Could you
> elaborate on that a bit?

I'll leave the details to Wrathchild... All I know is that
Hârn (not Härn, AFAIK) is a very detailed fantasy setting,
with a much greater "historical flavour" than your average
low-tech RPG setting. What this means is that you should
expect such thing as social class distinctions to actually
*matter*, unlike in the various D&D worlds.

On the other hand, being a fictional setting, rather than an
alternate past, I suspect that Hârn is quite "prettified",
when it comes to such things as sexism and religious
prejudice. For some strange reason, some people actually
prefer "prettified" settings, but I can't help lamenting all
the dramatic potential that is thrown screaming out the window.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

"GodFoca" <godfoca@gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> I'm interested, though I'm unfamiliar with the setting. Could you
> elaborate on that a bit?
>
> Thanks,
> Nicolas

Yes - I have an introduction at www.secretmasters.net/nights that you should
look at.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps,rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

"The Wrathchild" <wrathchild@hippieSPAMMERSDIEINHELL.dk> skrev i en
meddelelse news:_7dUd.101983$Vf.3943191@news000.worldonline.dk...

Also look at http://www.lythia.com/downloads/intro.pdf

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps,rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

>> Yes - I have an introduction at www.secretmasters.net/nights that you
>> should look at.
>
> Also look at http://www.lythia.com/downloads/intro.pdf

And elaborating on that:

The most-of-the-time setting of this game is the City of Coranan (of
12-13.000 souls), the capital of the Thardic Republic.

Now, most of the nations on Hârn are feudal with kings and barons and all
that - but not the republic, as the name indicates. For various reasons of
history, this country became dominated by the Merchant class a bit over 200
years ago. Things have been a bit of a seesaw, but generally, these lands
have been ruled by a Senate that the powerful Merchant and Landholding
families buy seats in for astronomical sums (mostly gifts to exisiting
senators to make them look favourably on the merits of the application -
this is not considered bribery in the republican tradition).

Below the senate is a huge bureaucracy and the armed forces, run by civil
magistrates and military commanders. Seen with modern eyes this nation is a
hotbed of politics and a cesspool of corruption, but it is what the Thardans
have and they make it work, somehow.

The role of the characters are to be the youth of the privileged, the ones
who may one day climb to high posts in the military, the clergy, the
magistrates or the guilds - or do some different thing alltogether. What
direction things take is of course up to the player and the options he or
she percieves for the PC.