Are gaming mice/keyboards worth it?

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Are gaming mice/keyboards worth it? If so, what would you suggest.

I'm a medium level gamer, I play RTS the most, though I play the occasional Half Life 2 or RPG as well.

Bagheera

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Basicly, yes, especially in fps games, you defintly shouldn't be limited by ur hardware, game's cfg, intenet connection, since only thing to improve should be only ur expierince, as you know (at least i know, i play Quake 3 for 3 years) in that games EACH ms counts, so if u use razer copperhead with 1000 hz pooling rate of ur usb port (1 ms raction time), u have an adavtage over ur opponent. Teoriticaly, cuz on other hand, i know excelent player who play on odinary ps/2 ball mouse with some lead inside (lol) and piece of clut as a mousepad :D.

So it's ur choice, i u r fanatic gamer (as i am) buy new hardware, even if it won't help u much (don't expect u will be twice more accurate insantly after buying it)
:)

gl

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
OK then. I think I would want to get a new keyboard first, as my keyboard stinks. My mouse could use upgrading, but its better than the norm.( its a MS laser mouse, with scroll wheel and 2 buttons on the sides)

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
No, gaming mice and keyboards are not worth it.

You're better off getting an ergonomic multimedia keyboard and an N52.

I don't like those 12 button mice as they get in the way, I prefer my left mouse click and right mouse click the the middle button and scroll wheel.

It's an old mouse and I don't see any problems with it.

Although if you want to, let's say, play battle field 2, and switch the DPI from the tank (which you want fast) to the sniper (which you want slow) to infantry (which you want medium) you would benefit from getting a gaming mouse, I think the mx518 does that.

Don't get the mx1000 as you can't replace the battery, it has to charge so one it's dead, better have another mouse handy cause you ain't usin that one till it's charged.

I recommend the G7 laser cordless or the mx 518 if you need those extra features.

The N52 is a gamepad, yes gamepad not controller like you see on consoles, that you can program each button, and it fits your hand so it's not as hard as a keyboard.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=157024

Don't get the logitech g-15 keyboard, it's a piece of crap and it doesn't even really have an LCD it's a dot matrix.

Please reply with comments :wink:

boom_car

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
the g-15 is awesome, i don't know where your getting it's a piece of crap.. maybe it's user error? :lol:

I also have a mx 1000, and i have no problems with it.

Of course when the batteries die, you have to charge it, thanks for stating the obvious. :roll:

Yes the LCD panel on the g-15 is not really a lcd, but i find it very handy for everything, you just have to download the programs that you want, or program what you want.

Gaming equipment is sometimes better then regular stuff. It all depends on how much time you will be playing games. I say the more i use stuff the more money i should spend on it.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I have a mx518.. its great period.

In BF2/2142 I have the radio commands(spotting/waypointing) bound to the back/foward buttons for web browsing (changed to generic button in setpoint) and it makes it really convenient to spot people without having to mash more buttons than necessary while staying focused.

The dpi is adjustable on the fly from 400dpi to 1600dpi .. and by factory default it comes with 400/800/1600 set. You can configure up to 5 dpi settings in the Setpoint software.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I've used a lot of mice/keyboards. Right now I'm using a G15 keybopard and a G7 mouse. They are the absolute best of any I've tried.

Fire_Zealot

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
hmm, the speedpad looks interesting. I might try it out some time...

I have to agree, I also dont like multi button mouses. I have a friend with a logitech mouse with sensitivity adjusters, and like 5 extra buttons. I kept on hitting the wrong ones. Like what I said, my MS laser is fine. 1 button on each side, + scroll wheel I can press. Its good enough for me.

Whats the point of the monitor on the logi keyboard?

also, has anyone used the 360 gamepad on the PC? Are there any problems? I really like the 360 gamepad...

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
hmm, the speedpad looks interesting. I might try it out some time...

I have to agree, I also dont like multi button mouses. I have a friend with a logitech mouse with sensitivity adjusters, and like 5 extra buttons. I kept on hitting the wrong ones. Like what I said, my MS laser is fine. 1 button on each side, + scroll wheel I can press. Its good enough for me.

Whats the point of the monitor on the logi keyboard?

also, has anyone used the 360 gamepad on the PC? Are there any problems? I really like the 360 gamepad...

Well there are a lot of programs that use the screen, and games, even though you don't want to look away while your playing a game... :?

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
thats what I was thinking, is there relevent info on it thats worth looking down at the keyboard in the middle of a game?

My guess is it always looks like this:

20050811logitechg15keybup3.jpg