Miniatures rules

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

My son has the little 4 inch GI Joe figures. I was wondering if there
was a way I could incorporate some rules to these to have them complete
"missions". Nothing really fancy. Haven't used this rules system in
quite some time. Is there anything out there that I can incorporate so
his "guys" can do specific tasks, fight battles, meet objectives, etc.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much.

Regards,
Jeff

On 3 Mar 2005 22:53:49 -0800, "mogath" <mogath3@aol.com> wrote:

>My son has the little 4 inch GI Joe figures. I was wondering if there
>was a way I could incorporate some rules to these to have them complete
>"missions". Nothing really fancy. Haven't used this rules system in
>quite some time. Is there anything out there that I can incorporate so
>his "guys" can do specific tasks, fight battles, meet objectives, etc.
>Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much.

You may find something suitable in the free wargames sections here;

....WWII;
http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/World_War_2/world_war_2.htm

....Modern;
http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/Modern/modern.htm

....or Sci Fi;
http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/Science_Fiction/science_fiction.htm

....also here;
http://www.jimwallman.org.uk/wargame/

You might need to take a basic set of rules and come up with your own
mission goals and scoring system.

HTH
--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

Alfie [UK] wrote:
> You may find something suitable in the free wargames sections here;
>
> ...WWII;
> http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/World_War_2/world_war_2.htm
>
> ...Modern;
> http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/Modern/modern.htm
>
> ...or Sci Fi;
> http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/Science_Fiction/science_fiction.htm
>
> ...also here;
> http://www.jimwallman.org.uk/wargame/
>
> You might need to take a basic set of rules and come up with your own
> mission goals and scoring system.

I think a major attraction, for Jeff's son, would be if the
rules system in question could take into account the
abilities of the various GI Joe action figures. I don't know
much about them, but it's my vague impression that they had
different speciality skills.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 05:15:16 +0100, Peter Knutsen
<peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:
>Alfie [UK] wrote:
>> You may find something suitable in the free wargames sections here;
>>
>> ...WWII;
>> http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/World_War_2/world_war_2.htm
>>
>> ...Modern;
>> http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/Modern/modern.htm
>>
>> ...or Sci Fi;
>> http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/Science_Fiction/science_fiction.htm
>>
>> ...also here;
>> http://www.jimwallman.org.uk/wargame/
>>
>> You might need to take a basic set of rules and come up with your own
>> mission goals and scoring system.
>
>I think a major attraction, for Jeff's son, would be if the
>rules system in question could take into account the
>abilities of the various GI Joe action figures. I don't know
>much about them, but it's my vague impression that they had
>different speciality skills.

I've not seen any specific rules for GI Joe wargames, although there was
a PC game and there is a collectible card game version.

Some of these sites might help then;

http://gijoe.adventureteam.com/ ...specifically
http://gijoe.adventureteam.com/Combat28.doc which is a 1:6th scale
RPG/wargame ruleset.

Alternatively try http://www.gijoelinks.com/ although there are a lot of
links to go through there...

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On 3 Mar 2005 22:53:49 -0800, "mogath" <mogath3@aol.com> wrote:

>My son has the little 4 inch GI Joe figures. I was wondering if there
>was a way I could incorporate some rules to these to have them complete
>"missions". Nothing really fancy.

I don't really understand what you mean... Maybe it's me.

You could take a miniature games'system and then "convert" the
different characters (and their abilities) into that rule system. They
already suggested you some.

If you're playing GURPS with the tactical combat, start with a basic,
SIMPLE "G.I.Joe" package (minimum ST and HT, Military Rank, etc.) and
then work around the characters. Then choose what rules to use and
what not to.

You could even include some "cartoonish" rules, for example: "When the
commander of one side shows up after being away (for dramatical
reasons), all soldiers of his faction recover half their wounds
instantly" or "the commander of each side can be killed only by
another commander, not by troops. Troops can incapacitate him, but NOT
kill".

In both cases, see below.

> Haven't used this rules system in
>quite some time. Is there anything out there that I can incorporate so
>his "guys" can do specific tasks, fight battles, meet objectives, etc.

About the "missions", when you have a rules system that satisfies you,
you could make up a point system, even a simple one.
Let's say: +5 points for main objective, +3 for secondary, -1 per
character injured, etc. etc.

Then factor a conversion system: each certain number of point can
upgrade the character.

It's one of the basis of RPG... and computer games, too: finish
mission well => you can upgrade a bit.

>Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much.

If you could focus better what you need, I'll be glad to help more.
These are just simple suggestions.

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."

"mogath" <mogath3@aol.com> wrote in message
> My son has the little 4 inch GI Joe figures. I was wondering if there
> was a way I could incorporate some rules to these to have them complete
> "missions". Nothing really fancy. Haven't used this rules system in
> quite some time. Is there anything out there that I can incorporate so
> his "guys" can do specific tasks, fight battles, meet objectives, etc.
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much.
>
> Regards,
> Jeff

I think using the GURPS rules would be too complex, especially using the 4th
edition ranged weapon rules. I'm rather disappointed that in some areas
they are more complex than the 3rd edtion.

Some simpliifications I'd make for G.I Joe scenario.

Record the average damage for each weapon to be used, and just use that for
damage rather than requiring the roll each time. Maybe use the roll on
criticals.

Change the ranges to simple bands:

Point Blank

Close

Medium

Long

Very Long

Extreme

Assignthe modifier based on whatever range you determine each band to be.
Ignore speed for the most part except for maybe vehicles.. Even then you
may want to really simplify. GI Joe isn't known for its realism.

Of course, I seem to recall from the GI Joe cartoons that no one ever dies,
so you'll have to do something regarding the lethality.

James Duncan wrote:
> "mogath" <mogath3@aol.com> wrote in message
> > My son has the little 4 inch GI Joe figures. I was wondering if
there
> > was a way I could incorporate some rules to these to have them
complete
> > "missions". Nothing really fancy. Haven't used this rules system in
> > quite some time. Is there anything out there that I can incorporate
so
> > his "guys" can do specific tasks, fight battles, meet objectives,
etc.
> > Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jeff
>

> I think using the GURPS rules would be too complex, especially using
the 4th
> edition ranged weapon rules. I'm rather disappointed that in some
areas
> they are more complex than the 3rd edtion.
>
> Some simpliifications I'd make for G.I Joe scenario.
>
> Record the average damage for each weapon to be used, and just use
that for
> damage rather than requiring the roll each time. Maybe use the roll
on
> criticals.
>
> Change the ranges to simple bands:
>
> Point Blank
>
> Close
>
> Medium
>
> Long
>
> Very Long
>
> Extreme
>
> Assignthe modifier based on whatever range you determine each band to
be.
> Ignore speed for the most part except for maybe vehicles.. Even
then you
> may want to really simplify. GI Joe isn't known for its realism.
>
> Of course, I seem to recall from the GI Joe cartoons that no one ever
dies,
> so you'll have to do something regarding the lethality.

This actually sounds like Classic Traveller.

--
C.

<chaos_israel@antisocial.com> wrote in message

> James Duncan wrote:
>> "mogath" <mogath3@aol.com> wrote in message
>> > My son has the little 4 inch GI Joe figures. I was wondering if
> there
>> > was a way I could incorporate some rules to these to have them
> complete
>> > "missions". Nothing really fancy. Haven't used this rules system in
>> > quite some time. Is there anything out there that I can incorporate
> so
>> > his "guys" can do specific tasks, fight battles, meet objectives,
> etc.
>> > Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Jeff
>>

>> I think using the GURPS rules would be too complex, especially using
> the 4th
>> edition ranged weapon rules. I'm rather disappointed that in some
> areas
>> they are more complex than the 3rd edtion.
>>
>> Some simpliifications I'd make for G.I Joe scenario.
>>
>> Record the average damage for each weapon to be used, and just use
> that for
>> damage rather than requiring the roll each time. Maybe use the roll
> on
>> criticals.
>>
>> Change the ranges to simple bands:
>>
>> Point Blank
>>
>> Close
>>
>> Medium
>>
>> Long
>>
>> Very Long
>>
>> Extreme
>>
>> Assignthe modifier based on whatever range you determine each band to
> be.
>> Ignore speed for the most part except for maybe vehicles.. Even
> then you
>> may want to really simplify. GI Joe isn't known for its realism.
>>
>> Of course, I seem to recall from the GI Joe cartoons that no one ever
> dies,
>> so you'll have to do something regarding the lethality.
>
> This actually sounds like Classic Traveller.
>
> --
> C.

The range bands idea is definitely from Classic Traveller (as in 1st edition
black boxed set).