Compaq Presario R3000 broken hinge

jessi3k3

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Bad news, one of my hinges suddenly snapped when I opened my LCD all the way -> _._ and set it back to normal -> _./ I called up HP and all they could tell me is to replace the entire LCD :(. Here's an image of what's up.

Any suggestions?

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
Well, not the whole lcd, just the casing, as it seems broken off?
on ebay
There's one, must be more out there if you change the search term.
Here's a how to, read the lcd part till the end before you start, coz the guy talks about screws he should have removed at the start, at the end of the message!:
take it apart

jessi3k3

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Wow, thanks for the link. I was looking some more and I found this. Would that also work?

Oops, I forgot to mention my Presario is a 15.4" Widescreen. Disreguarding this link, cant I just purchase the hinges (they go for at least $20) and replace the broken one? What would you recommend?

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
Yes, the hinges only can be replaced. Maybe you have to take yours out first, to see what suits you best. If the casing isn't damaged or warped, of course no need to replace the whole thing!
But personally I would go for the whole top cover, as the price is about the same as a couple of hinges. All depends on the state of your casing.

jessi3k3

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I went ahead and ordered just the hinges for $20 shipped. Yeah, the casing is in excellent shape except for a small cosmetic crack that ocurred due to the broken hinge (Super glue anyone?). Thanks for your help I appreciate it :D

Update: Today I recieved the hinges and I successfully installed the broken one in one hour (Had to go to the store and purchase small screwdrivers). I was surprised how easy it was, even though I also removed the heatsink and processor by accident (scared as hell). I was following the hp/compaq guide on how to take apart the lcd (That link at takeitapart.net was too vague). Well one of the parts required me to remove the bottom fan casing and the heatsink. When I removed the heatsink the processor was stuck on it somehow (it was cemented). When I poped off the heatsink the processor flew out (oh snap!). I was scared as hell. After I got to the hinge It just flew out very easily. Then I realized I never had to remove the heatsink, processor, etc. I carefully placed the processor back and the rest of the components and everything turned out well in the end. Thanks for your help Que. Without it I would have never gone through and had done this by myself.

Set of 12 mini-Screwdrivers - $6
Set of laptop hinges - $20
Taking a laptop apart for the first time - Priceless