Programmer's File Editor for Windows NT

June 28, 2005 10:42:02 PM

What is this and do I need it?
File Version 1.1.0.0
Copyright: Alan Phillips 1998
Created: Thursday, May 05, 2005, 2:0147 pm

The following files are associated with this application
PFE.GID
MARR94
CHANGES
README
PROBLEMS
PFED0S32
INI2REG
FILE
YEAR
PFE32
PFE
UPGRADE
YEAR2000

--
kk
Anonymous

How to Make a Good Newsgroup Post
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"KK" wrote:

| What is this and do I need it?
| File Version 1.1.0.0
| Copyright: Alan Phillips 1998
| Created: Thursday, May 05, 2005, 2:0147 pm
|
| The following files are associated with this application
| PFE.GID
| MARR94
| CHANGES
| README
| PROBLEMS
| PFED0S32
| INI2REG
| FILE
| YEAR
| PFE32
| PFE
| UPGRADE
| YEAR2000
|
| --
| kk
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:57:33 AM

"=?Utf-8?B?S0s=?=" <kk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:D A84E8F9-
6393-487B-B561-EF803815A03F@microsoft.com:

> What is this and do I need it?
> File Version 1.1.0.0
> Copyright: Alan Phillips 1998
> Created: Thursday, May 05, 2005, 2:0147 pm
>
> The following files are associated with this application
> PFE.GID
> MARR94
> CHANGES
> README
> PROBLEMS
> PFED0S32
> INI2REG
> FILE
> YEAR
> PFE32
> PFE
> UPGRADE
> YEAR2000

Programmers' File Editor... Now that takes me back.
The PFE is essentially a text editor, but it also allows you to compile
the program (invoke an external compiler). You can think of PFE as an
advanced version of Notepad, or the precursor to Dev-C++ / Textpad.

When I was learning C++ programming at uni, we had to use this program to
compile our source code, because that was the only way we could invoke our
compilers (we weren't taught how to create makefiles, and the batch files
we had only worked when we invoked them from PFE). The department tried to
transition to Dev-C++ when it came out, but we couldn't use it because the
C++ we were taught didn't include STL or the new iostream library. PFE
wasn't the only old software around at that department. We had software
dating back to the early 90s (and I wouldn't be surprised if they're still
in use). After that, I don't know because I left uni that year.

As you can see, PFE is a Very old program. It looks like one of your
colleagues got nostalgic for the old days (or only knew how to use PFE),
and installed this package.

Question: Is anyone at your place a computer programmer?

oshah [shexec32]
Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Error Reporting -> Choose Programs
-> Do not report errors for these programs:

Acrobat.exe
waol.exe

July 5, 2005 5:06:03 PM

Thanks for the info. This is on my home computer and I am not sure how it
got there.

My question is, can I delete all of the files associated with this, being as
I don't have a clue how to use it.

kk
--
kk

"OShah" wrote:

> "=?Utf-8?B?S0s=?=" <kk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:D A84E8F9-
> 6393-487B-B561-EF803815A03F@microsoft.com:
>
> > What is this and do I need it?
> > File Version 1.1.0.0
> > Copyright: Alan Phillips 1998
> > Created: Thursday, May 05, 2005, 2:0147 pm
> >
> > The following files are associated with this application
> > PFE.GID
> > MARR94
> > CHANGES
> > README
> > PROBLEMS
> > PFED0S32
> > INI2REG
> > FILE
> > YEAR
> > PFE32
> > PFE
> > UPGRADE
> > YEAR2000
> >

> Programmers' File Editor... Now that takes me back.
> The PFE is essentially a text editor, but it also allows you to compile
> the program (invoke an external compiler). You can think of PFE as an
> advanced version of Notepad, or the precursor to Dev-C++ / Textpad.
>
> When I was learning C++ programming at uni, we had to use this program to
> compile our source code, because that was the only way we could invoke our
> compilers (we weren't taught how to create makefiles, and the batch files
> we had only worked when we invoked them from PFE). The department tried to
> transition to Dev-C++ when it came out, but we couldn't use it because the
> C++ we were taught didn't include STL or the new iostream library. PFE
> wasn't the only old software around at that department. We had software
> dating back to the early 90s (and I wouldn't be surprised if they're still
> in use). After that, I don't know because I left uni that year.
>
> As you can see, PFE is a Very old program. It looks like one of your
> colleagues got nostalgic for the old days (or only knew how to use PFE),
> and installed this package.
>

> Question: Is anyone at your place a computer programmer?

> oshah [shexec32]
> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Error Reporting -> Choose Programs
> -> Do not report errors for these programs:
>
> Acrobat.exe
> waol.exe

July 5, 2005 7:01:58 PM

> Thanks for the info. This is on my home computer and I am not sure how
> it got there.
>
> My question is, can I delete all of the files associated with this,
> being as I don't have a clue how to use it.
>
> kk

How strange. Something occurred on Thursday afternoon of May 5th that
caused this application to appear there.

Seeing how you don't need the text editor, I think it should be safe to
remove the entire folder.

If you associated any file extensions to open with pfe32, those files will
no longer be able to open. You had to have run pfe32 to have done this. If
you haven't run pfe32, no file extensions have been associated.

If you want to be on the safe side, backup the folder before deleting it.
Then if something does crash because of the missing app, you can just
restore the app and stop the crashes.

the homepage of PFE is at
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/steveb/cpaap/pfe/default.h...
..

PFE32 has been surpassed in functionality by textpad, dev-c++, notepad++,
and even notepad lite.