A few persistent annoyances with Windows 7. Please Help!

Hi, I've got a few questions about Windows 7 and my PC in general and would highly appreciate if you could help.

1. I am getting a 'searchplugin' folder on my desktop all the time aswell as some admin folders that are completely empty. I can delete them but is there anyway to permanetly stop this? I've heard it can be to do with the internet browser you use? And I do have some stupid internet browsers that arn't Google but is that the problem?

2. My PC seems to take a long time to restart (Not boot, but when I click restart for an update to kick in or something). Sometimes it takes a matter of seconds, sometimes it's quite a bit longer. But if I then hold the power button and then restart the PC manually it's quick booting up. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

3. My PC doesn't actually come out of sleep mode. I'm hving the problem that when I try to wake the PC up nothing happens. I'v set the mouse to wake it up but nothing. The weird thing is the PC starts to boot up (coming out of sleep) but then just powers down again. This continues until I hold the power button down and turn it back on. Now, I've turned sleep off and it's fine but I'd like to know if there is a way to solve this for future reference.

Now, these things are more small annoyances than horrible problems, but I'd like to get them sorted. I've done research and nothing seems to be working. Thanks in advance!
2 answers Last reply
More about persistent annoyances windows help
  1. Open the power profiles and set
    maximum performance mode
    power savers OFF
    computer standby to off
    sleep to off
    hibernate to off
    Hard disk standby to Never
    OK to Leave the monitor standby ON, you can leave the screen saver ON.

Don't try to use sleep, hibernate, system standby. Save your files, and shut the system off for the night.

Set your device power profiles:
    Click Start
    Click Computer
    Click System Properties
    Click Device Manager
    Double Click Mice and Other Pointing Devices
    Right click on HID compliant Mouse
    Left Click on Properties
    Left Click on Power Management Tab
    UN-check the box that says: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
    CHECK the box that says: "Allow this device to wake the computer"
    Click OK, the box will close

In the Device Manager:
    NOW do the same thing, to the power settings for:
    Keyboard and all USB ports...
    Open these device(s) properties (on the list, as I did above) one at a time
    set these devices, so that the computer will not be allowed to shut them off to save power.
    After you have finished resetting the mouse, keyboard, USB power settings, restart the computer.

The computer was shutting off these devices, to save power.
    The recovery from standby, hibernate, sleep, does not work on certain hardware.
    Shut these 3 functions to OFF...until you find a suitable update ( is there one?)
    I have not found an update that fixed the problems reliably, and so I just shut off the functions.
  2. Quote:
    1. I am getting a 'searchplugin' folder on my desktop all the time aswell as some admin folders that are completely empty. I can delete them but is there anyway to permanetly stop this? I've heard it can be to do with the internet browser you use? And I do have some stupid internet browsers that arn't Google but is that the problem?

This is because you have installed a program that is doing this and is nothing to do with Windows. Have you read this?
    http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/searchplugins-folder-appeared-on-desktop/200417.html

Quote:
    2. My PC seems to take a long time to restart (Not boot, but when I click restart for an update to kick in or something). Sometimes it takes a matter of seconds, sometimes it's quite a bit longer. But if I then hold the power button and then restart the PC manually it's quick booting up. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

The time to shut down can vary especially if you have updates to install. It could be that you have a programs that do not want to shut down which is taking up time. You need to isolate which program is taking the time in shutting down. Try booting in safe mode and running your applications one by one to see which is causing this problem.

Quote:
    3. My PC doesn't actually come out of sleep mode. I'm hving the problem that when I try to wake the PC up nothing happens. I'v set the mouse to wake it up but nothing. The weird thing is the PC starts to boot up (coming out of sleep) but then just powers down again. This continues until I hold the power button down and turn it back on. Now, I've turned sleep off and it's fine but I'd like to know if there is a way to solve this for future reference.

Check to see if there is a BIOS update that fixes this problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7