Bizarre player plans and reactions...

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

GMs, just curious, what are some of the most bizarre, unlikely things
you've had players decide to do in response to something you had
happen, an enemy you presented them with, or what-have-you? I don't
just mean plans that didn't work, but plans that _couldn't possibly
work_ (unless you rigged things to save them from their own folly), or
cases where it wasn't just one player but the whole group that did
something bizarre.

Shermanlee

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

"Never submit willingly to the mercy of a GM!"

Last words before rolling up a new character....

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <1110783536.082685.184700@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Johnny1a" <shermanlee1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> GMs, just curious, what are some of the most bizarre, unlikely things
> you've had players decide to do in response to something you had
> happen, an enemy you presented them with, or what-have-you? I don't
> just mean plans that didn't work, but plans that _couldn't possibly
> work_ (unless you rigged things to save them from their own folly), or
> cases where it wasn't just one player but the whole group that did
> something bizarre.

Just last week in a cliffhangers game.

The villains (about 50 of them) are in a giant cavern, along with about 200
hostages/slaves.

The PCs are in a natural valley with the cavern at one end, shear rock walls on two
sides and a jungle full of carnivorous plants behind them. The PCs are running out
of food and water (this is in the middle of the sahara) but are well protected by
rocky outcroppings. During the previous night, a Doc Savage-like NPC on their team
steals critical components from the bad guys' flying machines and hides equipment
within their cavern.

So here we are at a stand-off, everyone will die eventually. The PCs are attacked
about 5 times, but they are secure and no one even gets hurt. Finally, the villains
march 40 slaves out into the open and say "Surrender or they die."

The hero/calvary unit suggests they get captured and all make a break at night using
the previously hidden equipment. It is unlikely that they would be harmed since the
villains wouldn't get their engine parts back and then everyone would be screwed.

The PCs put their heads together and decide to attack with smoke grenades and rifles.

That's right, 10 to one odds with 200 innocents at stake....

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:53:00 -0500, Kent Allard
<evil@hearts_of_men.net> wrote:

>The hero/calvary unit suggests they get captured and all make a break at night using
>the previously hidden equipment. It is unlikely that they would be harmed since the
>villains wouldn't get their engine parts back and then everyone would be screwed.
>
>The PCs put their heads together and decide to attack with smoke grenades and rifles.
>
>That's right, 10 to one odds with 200 innocents at stake....

That's what players always do, though. Bizarre would be allowing
themselves to get captured. That never happens.

"mathilda" <smart_aleck72@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Never submit willingly to the mercy of a GM!"
>
> Last words before rolling up a new character....

Yeah, never give up, never surrender!

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Hi,
I actually had a Party who were faced with the task of luring a Giantess
from her area. After much discussion the party came up with a plan. They
decided to buy a love potion and somehow get the Giantess to drink it. The
plan then consisted of the Giantess falling for the most charasmatic memeber
of the group.. a Halfling. Luckily the plan was reconsidered just befor it
was executed. The thought of the Giantess in love with the Halfling still
cracks me up to this day.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

A couple of things that happened in AD&D 1ed. campaigns circa 1980:

1. The party opened a door in an underground complex and peeked inside.
The GM announced that the floor was wet. The party ran away, having
jumped to the conclusion that there was a slime or ooze or some such
in the room. There actually wasn't.

2. While in a town, the party visited a bar. Two members were
approached by attractive women. One of these members ran outside
into an alley, the other immediately started to strangle the woman
who had approached him. They were operating on the "this is too
good to be true, so they must be succubi" principle. Actually, the
women were just ordinary NPCs who had heard of the group's
adventures.

--- Brian

We put the "pain" in "campaign."

brian.b.mcguinness@lmco.com wrote:

> 2. While in a town, the party visited a bar. Two members were
> approached by attractive women. One of these members ran outside
> into an alley, the other immediately started to strangle the woman
> who had approached him. They were operating on the "this is too
> good to be true, so they must be succubi" principle. Actually, the
> women were just ordinary NPCs who had heard of the group's
> adventures.

There's a Knights of the Dinner Table comic about something like that.

mcv.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

brian.b.mcguinness@lmco.com wrote:

> 2. While in a town, the party visited a bar. Two members were
> approached by attractive women. One of these members ran outside
> into an alley, the other immediately started to strangle the woman
> who had approached him. They were operating on the "this is too
> good to be true, so they must be succubi" principle. Actually,
the
> women were just ordinary NPCs who had heard of the group's
> adventures.
>
> --- Brian

ROTFLMAO!!!

I love that story!

Let me guess, when the local authorities arrived (of whatever sort),
they couldn't understand why they were in trouble?

Shermanlee

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

this was a single player's action so i am not sure it qualifies.

had a fellow in a rolemaster game who became a very powerful mage of
some sort. went off and built a large tower in the boonies and then
developed an interest in demonology and that sort of thing. began to
make preparations for summoning and binding a balrog which i rather
wondered at but figured it would be interesting to watch the fun.
over the course of 3 years game time he managed to get the information
he needed and completed the preparations. the climactic day comes and
he performs the ceremony and the balrog appears. he manages to bind
the balrog at which time he made the balrog the centrepiece of his
plumbing system thereby ensuring any amount of hot water was available
any time he wanted a shower. i was really bummed over it as i had
thought he had something well interesting in mind. i asked him why he
just didn't have servants lug water up the stairs from the kitchen or
heaven forbid heat the water himself and he told me it never occured
to him to try those things.
--
"Ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more violence. Limp,
panicky half-measures lead to more violence. However, complete,

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

> GMs, just curious, what are some of the most bizarre, unlikely things
> you've had players decide to do in response to something you had
> happen, an enemy you presented them with, or what-have-you? I don't
> just mean plans that didn't work, but plans that _couldn't possibly
> work_ (unless you rigged things to save them from their own folly), or
> cases where it wasn't just one player but the whole group that did
> something bizarre.

Ya want a "So there we were" story, eh...

We were playing 1st Ed. Star Wars, with several VERY experienced
characters. Bill ("da Ref") had us on an astroid complex when the Imperials
attacked with Assualt Shuttles. With only three of us, he told us there
were 20 stormtroopers on board, I just cocked my head and said "Yeah, we can
take that. A shuttle would come in handy.." One thermal detanator later,
we were doing mop up on the shuttle, and using it's guns to blow up two
other Assault shuttles. "Uh, the TD destroyed the interior of the bridge,
so you can't fly it".

Suddenly, there was another shuttle, with "lucky shots", and we had to
excape. We just stood in the bay, and waited for it. (Bill looks somewhat
upset by this time.) Deciding to save the TD's for later, we charged up the
gangplank of the next shuttle screaming our usual battle cry of "Force
Point!!!". Three of us took out the entire lot in 2 rounds. Somehow, a
stormtrooper threw a grenade that destroyed the bridge...

Another shuttle appears, a "new, advanced heavy duty model, with 40
stormtoopers". (Funny, never saw that in the Acadamy...) "Yeah, we can
take that. 'Force Point away!!!'" OK, another charge, another three
grenades, another 42 bodies, another blown up bridge from a "lucky
stormtooper throw". (Grrrr...)

Bill was REALLY looking upset that we weren't sticking to "the script" and
running away. Heck, we hadn't even taken a single wound between the three
of us!!! "Well, we'll just have to wait for the next shuttle and be more
careful this time, won't we..." Seems that the next "shuttle" looked more
like an Imperial Destroyer, so we decided to let the script get back on
track and "excape" with the puny little dweebs we were supposed to save.

Too bad, a destroyer would have been a nice thing to take back to the
fleet, but something would have happened to the bridge, I'm sure... <grin>

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

"It is an ill thing to bind a dragon to light your hearth-fire."
Proverb on Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover.

forkliftramp.com wrote:
> this was a single player's action so i am not sure it qualifies.
>
> had a fellow in a rolemaster game who became a very powerful mage of
> some sort. went off and built a large tower in the boonies and then
> developed an interest in demonology and that sort of thing. began to
> make preparations for summoning and binding a balrog which i rather
> wondered at but figured it would be interesting to watch the fun.
> over the course of 3 years game time he managed to get the information
> he needed and completed the preparations. the climactic day comes and
> he performs the ceremony and the balrog appears. he manages to bind
> the balrog at which time he made the balrog the centrepiece of his
> plumbing system thereby ensuring any amount of hot water was available
> any time he wanted a shower. i was really bummed over it as i had
> thought he had something well interesting in mind. i asked him why he
> just didn't have servants lug water up the stairs from the kitchen or
> heaven forbid heat the water himself and he told me it never occured
> to him to try those things.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:17:29 -0600, "George A. Trosper"
<gtrosper@aros.net> wrote:

>"It is an ill thing to bind a dragon to light your hearth-fire."
>Proverb on Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover.

Binding a dragon to cook your meat isn't well-done.