Hooking up Home Stereo with my Computer

captsniper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
am currently trying to hook up my home stereo to my computer because all of my music is on now on my harddrives. I only have an advance ac97 motherboard (on board) for sound. And plugging a "y adapter" into this output and my home stereo is not quite cutting it. Im looking for a sound card that will provide clear high quality output to my stereo. I dont need a powered out, i just need an rca out I believe. I could be wrong here. What exactly is it im looking for in the sound card is what im trying to determine, just a line out? (left and right)? If not, what exactly is the option in looking for? I need a soundcard thats hooks up easily to a home stereo reciever. i dont need any computer speakers as my home receiver and speakers should take care of that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Nate

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually Y cables are just fine, as long as their stereo. You probably just need a better sound card, or a better quality Y cable. Of course if you're going more than 3 feet most Y cables are a bit thin for distances, you could use a splitter and a pair of RCA cables.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>