HardDrive Image Copy

Hi,

I bought a new HDD for my Laptop and I need to image copy my old HDD to the
new one. I want to do image copy so I don't have to install everything
again.

My Laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, but it does have USB2.

How can I do the Image copy?

Any help would be appreciated,

Alan
5 answers Last reply
More about harddrive image copy

    norton ghost is the tool for this job.
    HDD image can be clone through USB with version 9.0

    hope it help.

    "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > I bought a new HDD for my Laptop and I need to image copy my old HDD to
    > the new one. I want to do image copy so I don't have to install everything
    > again.
    >

    > My Laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, but it does have USB2.
    >

    > How can I do the Image copy?
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated,
    >
    > Alan

    Thanks for reply.

    But NG needs a floppy drive to boot from. My laptop doesn't have any floppy
    drive.

    "Durby vend" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > norton ghost is the tool for this job.
    > HDD image can be clone through USB with version 9.0
    >
    > hope it help.
    >

    > "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>

    >> I bought a new HDD for my Laptop and I need to image copy my old HDD to
    >> the new one. I want to do image copy so I don't have to install
    >> everything again.
    >>

    >> My Laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, but it does have USB2.
    >>

    >> How can I do the Image copy?
    >>

    >> Any help would be appreciated,
    >>
    >> Alan

    Many Imaging program installer disks are bootable or they have
    a utility to create a Boot floppy. Without a floppy drive, you can
    create a Bootable CD-R equivalent.
    What I do for notebook clients is the following. Using Drive Image
    2002 & Partition Magic.
    Shrink the existing C: or System Partition to leave unallocated
    space at the end of the drive. Create a dedicated Image partition.
    Boot to the CD-R Drive Image disk. Image the Windows partition
    to the new (Images) partition & perform a verify operation.
    Boot back to Windows & use Image Explorer to navigate around
    the image set (.PQI) and ensure the image is usable.
    Finally, I burn the Image set to CD-R/DVD-R disks (Set Drive
    Image to span disks at the size of the notebooks burner capability.
    (670 Meg each, if CD-R).
    Using this method, you keep a recoverable image on the disk in
    the separate partition & have the external copy for safety purposes.
    You can burn the image set directly to CD-R/DVD-R, but it's slow
    and sometimes has issues with the verification pass.
    This process or a modified version would work for you to clone
    your existing XP instance to the new drive.

    > Thanks for reply.
    >
    > But NG needs a floppy drive to boot from. My laptop doesn't have any
    > floppy drive.
    >

    > "Durby vend" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> norton ghost is the tool for this job.
    >> HDD image can be clone through USB with version 9.0
    >>
    >> hope it help.
    >>

    >> "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>

    >>> I bought a new HDD for my Laptop and I need to image copy my old HDD to
    >>> the new one. I want to do image copy so I don't have to install
    >>> everything again.
    >>>

    >>> My Laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, but it does have USB2.
    >>>

    >>> How can I do the Image copy?
    >>>

    >>> Any help would be appreciated,
    >>>
    >>> Alan

    DI2002/6.0 is only available in as a companion to DI 7.0 what few retail
    markets that still carry it. This CD boots to the DI 7.0 recovery
    environment.

    There may be available DI2002 as a standalone product on CD, but was unable
    to locate it.

    In addition, if using DI2002 from the windows environment, and imaging the
    XP partition, you may have a problem if the "VFD" file is compressed by
    windows XP on a XP NTFS partition due to lack of usage. The virtual floppy
    cannot be properly created as a result. Its fixable, but another headache
    to fix.

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Many Imaging program installer disks are bootable or they have
    > a utility to create a Boot floppy. Without a floppy drive, you can
    > create a Bootable CD-R equivalent.
    > What I do for notebook clients is the following. Using Drive Image
    > 2002 & Partition Magic.
    > Shrink the existing C: or System Partition to leave unallocated
    > space at the end of the drive. Create a dedicated Image partition.
    > Boot to the CD-R Drive Image disk. Image the Windows partition
    > to the new (Images) partition & perform a verify operation.
    > Boot back to Windows & use Image Explorer to navigate around
    > the image set (.PQI) and ensure the image is usable.
    > Finally, I burn the Image set to CD-R/DVD-R disks (Set Drive
    > Image to span disks at the size of the notebooks burner capability.
    > (670 Meg each, if CD-R).
    > Using this method, you keep a recoverable image on the disk in
    > the separate partition & have the external copy for safety purposes.
    > You can burn the image set directly to CD-R/DVD-R, but it's slow
    > and sometimes has issues with the verification pass.
    > This process or a modified version would work for you to clone
    > your existing XP instance to the new drive.
    >
    > "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for reply.
    > >
    > > But NG needs a floppy drive to boot from. My laptop doesn't have any
    > > floppy drive.
    > >

    > > "Durby vend" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> norton ghost is the tool for this job.
    > >> HDD image can be clone through USB with version 9.0
    > >>
    > >> hope it help.
    > >>

    > >> "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

    Good Points, Thanks for following up. I just stick with DI6 because
    I still like to do Imaging from a DOS boot environment. It's also
    more convenient when I'm working a customer's PC. Sooner or
    later I'll probably move on to "Hot Imaging" or when Longhorn
    appears with a new NTFS version that forces me to upgrade. I
    still see a few copies of DI6 at places like Office Depot and Staples.
    Workarounds are a way of life with computers. Sometimes I'll give
    a customer a Error Letter code, Like F. They ask and I tell them
    their problem is Letter F but we will have to fix or resolve A-E to
    be able to work on F.

    > DI2002/6.0 is only available in as a companion to DI 7.0 what few retail
    > markets that still carry it. This CD boots to the DI 7.0 recovery
    > environment.
    >
    > There may be available DI2002 as a standalone product on CD, but was
    > unable
    > to locate it.
    >
    > In addition, if using DI2002 from the windows environment, and imaging the
    > XP partition, you may have a problem if the "VFD" file is compressed by
    > windows XP on a XP NTFS partition due to lack of usage. The virtual
    > floppy
    > cannot be properly created as a result. Its fixable, but another headache
    > to fix.
    >
    > "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> Many Imaging program installer disks are bootable or they have
    >> a utility to create a Boot floppy. Without a floppy drive, you can
    >> create a Bootable CD-R equivalent.
    >> What I do for notebook clients is the following. Using Drive Image
    >> 2002 & Partition Magic.
    >> Shrink the existing C: or System Partition to leave unallocated
    >> space at the end of the drive. Create a dedicated Image partition.
    >> Boot to the CD-R Drive Image disk. Image the Windows partition
    >> to the new (Images) partition & perform a verify operation.
    >> Boot back to Windows & use Image Explorer to navigate around
    >> the image set (.PQI) and ensure the image is usable.
    >> Finally, I burn the Image set to CD-R/DVD-R disks (Set Drive
    >> Image to span disks at the size of the notebooks burner capability.
    >> (670 Meg each, if CD-R).
    >> Using this method, you keep a recoverable image on the disk in
    >> the separate partition & have the external copy for safety purposes.
    >> You can burn the image set directly to CD-R/DVD-R, but it's slow
    >> and sometimes has issues with the verification pass.
    >> This process or a modified version would work for you to clone
    >> your existing XP instance to the new drive.
    >>
    >> "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for reply.
    >> >
    >> > But NG needs a floppy drive to boot from. My laptop doesn't have any
    >> > floppy drive.
    >> >

    >> > "Durby vend" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Laptops Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP