HardDrive Image Copy

a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 2:39:20 AM

Hi,

I bought a new HDD for my Laptop and I need to image copy my old HDD to the
new one. I want to do image copy so I don't have to install everything
again.

My Laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, but it does have USB2.

How can I do the Image copy?

Any help would be appreciated,

Alan

More about : harddrive image copy

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 3:21:24 PM

norton ghost is the tool for this job.
HDD image can be clone through USB with version 9.0

hope it help.

"A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I bought a new HDD for my Laptop and I need to image copy my old HDD to
> the new one. I want to do image copy so I don't have to install everything
> again.
>

> My Laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, but it does have USB2.
>

> How can I do the Image copy?
>

> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Alan

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 3:21:25 PM

Thanks for reply.

But NG needs a floppy drive to boot from. My laptop doesn't have any floppy
drive.

"Durby vend" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o 9ZNomFfFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> norton ghost is the tool for this job.
> HDD image can be clone through USB with version 9.0
>
> hope it help.
>

> "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>

>> I bought a new HDD for my Laptop and I need to image copy my old HDD to
>> the new one. I want to do image copy so I don't have to install
>> everything again.
>>

>> My Laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, but it does have USB2.
>>

>> How can I do the Image copy?
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated,
>>
>> Alan

a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 3:21:26 PM

Many Imaging program installer disks are bootable or they have
a utility to create a Boot floppy. Without a floppy drive, you can
create a Bootable CD-R equivalent.
What I do for notebook clients is the following. Using Drive Image
2002 & Partition Magic.
Shrink the existing C: or System Partition to leave unallocated
space at the end of the drive. Create a dedicated Image partition.
Boot to the CD-R Drive Image disk. Image the Windows partition
to the new (Images) partition & perform a verify operation.
Boot back to Windows & use Image Explorer to navigate around
the image set (.PQI) and ensure the image is usable.
Finally, I burn the Image set to CD-R/DVD-R disks (Set Drive
Image to span disks at the size of the notebooks burner capability.
(670 Meg each, if CD-R).
Using this method, you keep a recoverable image on the disk in
the separate partition & have the external copy for safety purposes.
You can burn the image set directly to CD-R/DVD-R, but it's slow
and sometimes has issues with the verification pass.
This process or a modified version would work for you to clone
your existing XP instance to the new drive.

> Thanks for reply.
>
> But NG needs a floppy drive to boot from. My laptop doesn't have any
> floppy drive.
>

> "Durby vend" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o 9ZNomFfFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> norton ghost is the tool for this job.
>> HDD image can be clone through USB with version 9.0
>>
>> hope it help.
>>

>> "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I bought a new HDD for my Laptop and I need to image copy my old HDD to
>>> the new one. I want to do image copy so I don't have to install
>>> everything again.
>>>

>>> My Laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, but it does have USB2.
>>>

>>> How can I do the Image copy?
>>>

>>> Any help would be appreciated,
>>>
>>> Alan

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 3:21:27 PM

DI2002/6.0 is only available in as a companion to DI 7.0 what few retail
markets that still carry it. This CD boots to the DI 7.0 recovery
environment.

There may be available DI2002 as a standalone product on CD, but was unable
to locate it.

In addition, if using DI2002 from the windows environment, and imaging the
XP partition, you may have a problem if the "VFD" file is compressed by
windows XP on a XP NTFS partition due to lack of usage. The virtual floppy
cannot be properly created as a result. Its fixable, but another headache
to fix.

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Many Imaging program installer disks are bootable or they have
> a utility to create a Boot floppy. Without a floppy drive, you can
> create a Bootable CD-R equivalent.
> What I do for notebook clients is the following. Using Drive Image
> 2002 & Partition Magic.
> Shrink the existing C: or System Partition to leave unallocated
> space at the end of the drive. Create a dedicated Image partition.
> Boot to the CD-R Drive Image disk. Image the Windows partition
> to the new (Images) partition & perform a verify operation.
> Boot back to Windows & use Image Explorer to navigate around
> the image set (.PQI) and ensure the image is usable.
> Finally, I burn the Image set to CD-R/DVD-R disks (Set Drive
> Image to span disks at the size of the notebooks burner capability.
> (670 Meg each, if CD-R).
> Using this method, you keep a recoverable image on the disk in
> the separate partition & have the external copy for safety purposes.
> You can burn the image set directly to CD-R/DVD-R, but it's slow
> and sometimes has issues with the verification pass.
> This process or a modified version would work for you to clone
> your existing XP instance to the new drive.
>
> "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> > Thanks for reply.
> >
> > But NG needs a floppy drive to boot from. My laptop doesn't have any
> > floppy drive.
> >

> > "Durby vend" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:o 9ZNomFfFHA.3448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> norton ghost is the tool for this job.
> >> HDD image can be clone through USB with version 9.0
> >>
> >> hope it help.
> >>

> >> "A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 12:04:55 PM

Good Points, Thanks for following up. I just stick with DI6 because
I still like to do Imaging from a DOS boot environment. It's also
more convenient when I'm working a customer's PC. Sooner or
later I'll probably move on to "Hot Imaging" or when Longhorn
appears with a new NTFS version that forces me to upgrade. I
still see a few copies of DI6 at places like Office Depot and Staples.
Workarounds are a way of life with computers. Sometimes I'll give
a customer a Error Letter code, Like F. They ask and I tell them
their problem is Letter F but we will have to fix or resolve A-E to
be able to work on F.

!