Plot help for Cliffhangers campaign

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I've been stupid enough to start a campaign with thinking the
motivations of my villians through so now I humbly welcome any
suggestions that might help me correct get a bettere hold of the mess
I've made.

The campaign is an cliffhanger style action/investigation/adventure,
though perhaps with a tad more investigation than usual.

The story so far (As far as the players know) is that we are in december
1929, and the heroes have gotten hold of very early translation of the
Book of Enoch, possibly one written by James Bruce himself, and agents
unknown are trying to take it from them.

Behind the scenes my plan is that this should lead to a hunt for Irem
(The City of Pillars) (And possibly from there to King Solomons Mines or
the lands of Prester John), and that the enemy are agents from the
recently (february 1929) reestablihed Vatican State.

So far so good. My problem is - What would secret catholic agents be
trying to cover up about Irem and/or Knig Solomons Mines and/or Prester
John ? And how could James Bruce have discovered it (Preferably it would
be something in the Book of Enoch or some other apocryphe text).
Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mvh

Nis

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

You would have to pick an area of knowledge I know little about. ;-p

Don't know about Irem, but have heard of it. King Solomon's mines might
be a secret source of wealth for the Vatican, which would be reason
enough to keep people out.

I can only think of two other things that would create agents of the
Vatican - they're covering up proof that Jesus married Mary Magdalane
and had progeny, or there really is a Holy Grail and they're trying to
keep it from the wrong people.

I know, not much help, but it's all I have right now.

Ralph Glatt

Nis Haller Baggesen <nhb@runestone.dk> wrote:

> So far so good. My problem is - What would secret catholic agents be
> trying to cover up about Irem and/or Knig Solomons Mines and/or Prester
> John ?

Are there any Lovecraftian background elements in your campaign?

Maybe they are an order dedicated to preventing the Great Old Ones
from coming back to Earth. If the players dig up the ruins of Irem,
they will find a certain artifact that could allow Dagon to show up
and destroy mankind.

--

Nis Haller Baggesen kirjoitti:
> I've been stupid enough to start a campaign with thinking the
> motivations of my villians through so now I humbly welcome any
> suggestions that might help me correct get a bettere hold of the mess
> I've made.
>
> The campaign is an cliffhanger style action/investigation/adventure,
> though perhaps with a tad more investigation than usual.
>
> The story so far (As far as the players know) is that we are in december
> 1929, and the heroes have gotten hold of very early translation of the
> Book of Enoch, possibly one written by James Bruce himself, and agents
> unknown are trying to take it from them.
>
> Behind the scenes my plan is that this should lead to a hunt for Irem
> (The City of Pillars) (And possibly from there to King Solomons Mines or
> the lands of Prester John), and that the enemy are agents from the
> recently (february 1929) reestablihed Vatican State.
>
> So far so good. My problem is - What would secret catholic agents be
> trying to cover up about Irem and/or Knig Solomons Mines and/or Prester
> John ? And how could James Bruce have discovered it (Preferably it would
> be something in the Book of Enoch or some other apocryphe text).
> Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
> Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.

Read "DaVinci Code"(by dan brown), the origins of new testament. Heh. t

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> mvh
>
> Nis

../mika

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Nis Haller Baggesen showered this wisdom of the ages upon us:

<snip story>
> So far so good. My problem is - What would secret catholic agents be
> trying to cover up about Irem and/or Knig Solomons Mines and/or Prester
> John ? And how could James Bruce have discovered it (Preferably it would
> be something in the Book of Enoch or some other apocryphe text).
> Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
> Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Perhaps the wealth of King Solomon is in the hands of the Society of
Jesus? They are the richest Catholic order... if that was the source
they'd have an interest in keeping the cover on it. And any other group
would have an interest in securing it for posterity, or for their own
use.

--
Christopher Nelson - Chris AT cavein DOT org
Knight Errant of the Most Radiant Order of the Shield

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

fOn Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:55:56 +0100, Nis Haller Baggesen
<nhb@runestone.dk> wrote:

>I've been stupid enough to start a campaign with thinking the
>motivations of my villians through so now I humbly welcome any
>suggestions that might help me correct get a bettere hold of the mess
>I've made.
>
>The campaign is an cliffhanger style action/investigation/adventure,
>though perhaps with a tad more investigation than usual.
>
>The story so far (As far as the players know) is that we are in december
>1929, and the heroes have gotten hold of very early translation of the
>Book of Enoch, possibly one written by James Bruce himself, and agents
>unknown are trying to take it from them.
>
>Behind the scenes my plan is that this should lead to a hunt for Irem
>(The City of Pillars) (And possibly from there to King Solomons Mines or
>the lands of Prester John), and that the enemy are agents from the
>recently (february 1929) reestablihed Vatican State.
>
>So far so good. My problem is - What would secret catholic agents be
>trying to cover up about Irem and/or Knig Solomons Mines and/or Prester
>John ? And how could James Bruce have discovered it (Preferably it would
>be something in the Book of Enoch or some other apocryphe text).
>Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
>Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Allow me to post some quoted material:

"Irem is very important to Arab magick. 'Irem Zhat al Imad' (Irem of
the Pillars) is the city's name in Arabic. It is popularly believed by
the Arabs that Irem was built by the Jinn under the direction of
Shaddad, Lord of the tribe of Ad. The tribe of Ad, according to
legend, was a race roughly equivalent to the Hebrew 'Nephilim'
(giants). In some versions of this myth Shaddad and the Jinn built
Irem before the time of Adam. The Muqarribun (Arab magicians) have
important beliefs about Irem and it's significance. The Muqarribun,
whose traditions predate Islam, believe that Irem is a locale on
another level of reality, rather than a physical city like NY or
Tokyo. The 'Pillars' in 'Irem of the Pillars' has a hidden meaning.
Among Arab mystics pillar is a code name for 'elder' or 'old one'.
Thus 'Irem of the Pillars' is really 'Irem of the Old Ones'."

Then:

For example the Qur'an relates that King Sulaiman's (Solomon's)
mastery of the languages of all creatures allowed him to regiment the
hosts of humans, birds and jinns under his command. This echoes the
talmudic legends of how the wise monarch exercised dominion over the
beasts of the field, the birds of the air, and assorted demons and
supernatural spirits.

One other minor detail:

Medieval European interest in Ethiopia owed much to the belief that it
was the mysterious Land of Prester John, as well as the country from
which the Queen of Sheba left on her famous visit to Jerusalem. These
two beliefs led to the emergence of a considerable literature
featuring Ethiopia.

And finally:

Back in the Middle Ages, when most people couldn't read, and the Bible
was available only in Latin, stories from the Bible were acted out in
church to teach the biblical lessons to the common people. At first,
the priests acted out the stories, but over time, the various trades
and guilds became responsible for acting out particular legends. The
stone masons had as their part the legends of the building of
Solomon's Temple, and eventually they worked it into their own lodge
ceremonies as well.

What the Masons and the Church might be quarreling about in Irem, or
the kingdom of Prester John, where-ever that might be just about
writes itself, doesn't it? After all, as far the Vatican is
concerned, since djinn aren't angels, they must be devils. So if
there's something like a book containing Solomon's magic secrets, or a
magic ring reputed to control djinn...real or not, they are not going
to want such a thing discovered or if it is discovered, they're going
to want it tucked away where nobody would try to use whatever it is
But if there's some relic out there of King Solomon, the architect of
the Temple, the Masons are going to be very interested in acquiring
it...

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <1d1%d.408$1l4.362@news.get2net.dk>,
Nis Haller Baggesen <nhb@runestone.dk> wrote:

> So far so good. My problem is - What would secret catholic agents be
> trying to cover up about Irem and/or Knig Solomons Mines and/or Prester
> John ? And how could James Bruce have discovered it (Preferably it would
> be something in the Book of Enoch or some other apocryphe text).
> Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
> Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.

I did a lot of the same research as David Johnson, but I also turned the City of
Irem into a dungeon crawl for my PCs.

Here are some bits and pieces I used to jazz up my story - not in any order - or
organized in any way. Maybe one or two elements will strike your fancy.

There are a lot of 'traditional' stories about Solomon and the djinn. That he
made some become good Muslims and that others were sealed into brass bottles
(the Genie in the lamp stories come from this). In my version, gold from
Solomon's mines was shaped into urns as soon as it was mined and then shipped
south to be filled with spices and incense. (There is an underground river under
the The City of Pillars that is brimming with these golden 'lamps'.)

I also used "The City of Brass" from "Stories from the Thousand and One Nights"
(Arabian Nights). It the story the city seems to have been under a curse.
Travelers discover it full of perfectly preserved mummies of citizens including
the beautiful Queen. I made it that they all committed suicide and were
preserved by the desert climate. (They killed themselves so that the 'horror'
would not consume their souls.)

Each area of the city was sealed and each seal was a warning that I took from
the story. Stuff like this...

Here was a people whom, after their works,
thou shalt see wept over for their lost dominion;

And in this palace is the last information
respecting lords collected in the dust.

Death hath destroyed them and disunited them,
and in the dust they have lost what they amassed;

As though they had only put down their loads to rest a while;
quickly have they departed!

Very flowery, but also very ominous. My PCs only kept on going because of what
was following behind them.

I have a conspiracy group that is hunting and destroying any ancient texts.
Targeted are any works that might seem to indicate that any creed besides
Christianity might be right. Especially any apocryphal texts that might indicate
that Jesus wasn't a god. Their ultimate goal is to bring about the apocalypse
within their lifetimes. (Can you say World War Two?)

Good luck with your game. I don't know how you'll tie all of your threads
together. I think that Irem and Solomon are pretty far removed from Christianity
and Prester John.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <1d1%d.408$1l4.362@news.get2net.dk>,
Nis Haller Baggesen <nhb@runestone.dk> wrote:
>I've been stupid enough to start a campaign with thinking the
>motivations of my villians through so now I humbly welcome any
>suggestions that might help me correct get a bettere hold of the mess
>I've made.
>
>The campaign is an cliffhanger style action/investigation/adventure,
>though perhaps with a tad more investigation than usual.
>
>The story so far (As far as the players know) is that we are in december
>1929, and the heroes have gotten hold of very early translation of the
>Book of Enoch, possibly one written by James Bruce himself, and agents
>unknown are trying to take it from them.
>
>Behind the scenes my plan is that this should lead to a hunt for Irem
>(The City of Pillars) (And possibly from there to King Solomons Mines or
>the lands of Prester John), and that the enemy are agents from the
>recently (february 1929) reestablihed Vatican State.
>
>So far so good. My problem is - What would secret catholic agents be
>trying to cover up about Irem and/or Knig Solomons Mines and/or Prester
>John ? And how could James Bruce have discovered it (Preferably it would
>be something in the Book of Enoch or some other apocryphe text).
>Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
>Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Can't think of much to just cover up. The Vatican has always seemed
pretty keen on Biblical archaeology and historical research. Seems like
it would have to be something with more than just scholarly interest-- an
Indiana Jones sort of thing. But at the same time, something that The
Vatican can't just work on through official channels, e.g. there's a
reason that Vatican agents and not the local police tried to take the text
from the PCs.

Since they're agents unknown, if it would give you a little wiggle room
there's still time for them to be agents of something else-- some cult
seeking resources for nefarious magical needs, a private interest seeking
a map to many precious things with a simple greedy motive. The text will
lead to things that will influence a Heavenly war and the Vatican is one
of two parties trying to control it, and the Vatican agents just assumed
the PCs were the bad guys who got there first. A rogue faction in the
Vatican wants to hurry up with the Apocolypse.

--
"The preferred method of entering a building is to use a tank main gun
round, direct fire artillery round, or TOW, Dragon, or Hellfire missile to

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <1d1%d.408$1l4.362@news.get2net.dk>,
Nis Haller Baggesen <nhb@runestone.dk> wrote:

> I've been stupid enough to start a campaign with thinking the
> motivations of my villians through so now I humbly welcome any
> suggestions that might help me correct get a bettere hold of the mess
> I've made.
>
> The campaign is an cliffhanger style action/investigation/adventure,
> though perhaps with a tad more investigation than usual.
>
> The story so far (As far as the players know) is that we are in december
> 1929, and the heroes have gotten hold of very early translation of the
> Book of Enoch, possibly one written by James Bruce himself, and agents
> unknown are trying to take it from them.
>
> Behind the scenes my plan is that this should lead to a hunt for Irem
> (The City of Pillars) (And possibly from there to King Solomons Mines or
> the lands of Prester John), and that the enemy are agents from the
> recently (february 1929) reestablihed Vatican State.
>
> So far so good. My problem is - What would secret catholic agents be
> trying to cover up about Irem and/or Knig Solomons Mines and/or Prester
> John ? And how could James Bruce have discovered it (Preferably it would
> be something in the Book of Enoch or some other apocryphe text).
> Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
> Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> mvh
>
> Nis

Not very serious but it's the first thing that came to mind.

The book is from the Vatican's library, and is now extremely "Past
Due". The 'agents' are Librarians. (The kind of Librarians who not only
wouldn't be surprised at seeing an orangutan in their library, they
would know how it got there and know to offer it a banana.)

Charleson Mambo

(oh, and just because they work _at_ the vatican doesn't mean they work
_for_ the vatican.)

To confuse, inveigle, and obfuscate.
<spam> www.accanthology.com Buy "The Alt.Cyberpunk.Chatsubo Anthology" </spam>

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In message <1d1%d.408$1l4.362@news.get2net.dk>, Nis Haller Baggesen
<nhb@runestone.dk> writes
> Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
>Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.

Ummm. 'Anglicans'? I don't know what you mean by this but mostly the
Church of England has a kind of harmless image in this part of the
world. Do other nationalities regard it as a sinister conspiracy?

I tied Irem of the Pillars into the gypsies and werewolves in my Buffy
game....
--
Michael Cule

Michael Cule wrote:
> In message <1d1%d.408$1l4.362@news.get2net.dk>, Nis Haller Baggesen
> <nhb@runestone.dk> writes
>
>> Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
>> Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.
>

> Ummm. 'Anglicans'? I don't know what you mean by this but mostly the
> Church of England has a kind of harmless image in this part of the
> world. Do other nationalities regard it as a sinister conspiracy?

No, I don't normally harbour any conspiratorial thoughts about the
Church of England, I just thought it would a nice little feud to revive
- The Vatican vs. The Church of England.

But while I'm quite settled on the Vatican as the bad guys (Or at least
the antagonists), I'm not sure I will try to work The Church of England
in there as well.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:07:25 +0100, Nis Haller Baggesen
<nhb@runestone.dk> wrote:

>Michael Cule wrote:
>> In message <1d1%d.408$1l4.362@news.get2net.dk>, Nis Haller Baggesen
>> <nhb@runestone.dk> writes
>>
>>> Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
>>> Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.
>>

>> Ummm. 'Anglicans'? I don't know what you mean by this but mostly the
>> Church of England has a kind of harmless image in this part of the
>> world. Do other nationalities regard it as a sinister conspiracy?
>>
>No, I don't normally harbour any conspiratorial thoughts about the
>Church of England, I just thought it would a nice little feud to revive
>- The Vatican vs. The Church of England.
>
>But while I'm quite settled on the Vatican as the bad guys (Or at least
>the antagonists), I'm not sure I will try to work The Church of England
>in there as well.

Well, the problem with the CofE, is that their only really significant
beef with Rome is their rejection of the authority of the Pope. That
means the only thing they would want dug up while the Romans want it
kept buried or destroyed is something that discredits Peter's
credentials as Jesus's "rock". If Peter was definitely not intended
to be the leader of the movement after Jesus's departure from the
scene then the basis for the claim of authority of the bishops of Rome
is eroded. However, I can't think of any way such a document would be
connected to Irem and Solomon.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I'd like to thank all of you for your wonderful ideas. You've given me
plenty of material to work with.

As the Anglican Church was just a passing idea for me, I'm now pretty
settled on a conflict between Scientific Curiosity + Masonic Mysticism
vs. Vatican Doctrine and Historical Cover-up (I don't generally have
anything against the Vatican or catholics, I just needed some bad guys I
hadn't used before).

My fraglie attempt to tie all the things together, will be something
along the line of:

King Solomon had some unnatural source of wealth / power. This will
probably be bottled genies. (I'm going for an Indianna Jones level of
magic and supernatural effects, so I'm likely going to use a djinn, but
I'm unlikely to have a grandiose heavenly war this time round).

The tie between Ethiopia and Irem will be (tenously) that Ethiopia is
the site of the Solomon Mines, and Irem is the city the goods where sent
to, and also where the genie-binding took place etc. Possibly I'll use
the Queen of Sheba as the original owner / caretaker of the mines or
something.

The Ethiopian lands will be the ones that where later administered by
Prester John - Which would make him somehow an heir to some of the
riches / knowledge / power of Solomon.

The Vatican got clued into this power via something brought back under
the Crusades (Possibly I'll get the Templars involved here although I
would prefer not to use them too much, as I've used plenty of Templar
stuff in earlier plots - At most the Templars will have had the goods
first, and they where later taken by the Church). This power (Like a
djinni bottle) have been used by the Vatican since then in times when
piety alone did not make things go their way.

The Masons - Being the 'Caretakers of the Temple of Solomon' got clued
into the true powers of Solomon. This happens through their own
dilligence, and by taking over old Church rites, and possibly from the
everpresent Templar survivors.

Scottish Rite Mason James Bruce goes hunting for clues of this power of
Solomon, and actually finds something - Some of the Books of Enoch (If I
really want to stretch myself I might want to add in Crowley and other
Enochians here, just for the added flavor - After all Enoch was supposed
to have written 366 books or something). Unable to find the actual mines
he saves his discoveries for posterity in his own personal translation
of the Books (Possibly I can get some anglicans in here, but pretending
that Bishop Richard Laurance was part of somekind of cover-up when he
wrote his official translations of the books).

The players will be hunting for this power of Solomon, first going to
the Mines in Africa (Where they will discover that Solomon wasn't simply
rich, he had somekind of supernatural power) and from the to the seat of
the magical power Irem.

The Vatican will first be trying to simply stop this, as they already
have all the genie power they want, and they don't want anybody cutting
in, later because the realise that someone with the true powers of
Solomon might be able to control their genie, and expose the Church's
use of ungodly miracles.

Well - That is the loose idea. I hope you can recognise some of your
input in there, and will forgive me for mangling it so horribly.

Again thanks for all the ideas. And please keep it comming, if you get
any more. If you'd like, I'll gladly tell you how it turns out.

mvh

Nis

David Johnston wrote:

> Well, the problem with the CofE, is that their only really significant
> beef with Rome is their rejection of the authority of the Pope. That
> means the only thing they would want dug up while the Romans want it
> kept buried or destroyed is something that discredits Peter's
> credentials as Jesus's "rock". If Peter was definitely not intended
> to be the leader of the movement after Jesus's departure from the
> scene then the basis for the claim of authority of the bishops of Rome
> is eroded. However, I can't think of any way such a document would be
> connected to Irem and Solomon.

Hmmm, but in the kingdom of Prester John might be early church documents
concerning the inheritance of the authority of the apostles.

Jefferson
http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I posted on the gate of the Castle (Dis Keep):
"Beware, lest you disturb the Master of this place, and become one with
his experiments!

Michael Cule wrote:

> In message <1d1%d.408$1l4.362@news.get2net.dk>, Nis Haller Baggesen
> <nhb@runestone.dk> writes
>
>> Preferably it should be something that the anglicans or Scottish Rite
>> Masons or the like would have some interest in preserving.
>

> Ummm. 'Anglicans'? I don't know what you mean by this but mostly the
> Church of England has a kind of harmless image in this part of the
> world. Do other nationalities regard it as a sinister conspiracy?
>
> I tied Irem of the Pillars into the gypsies and werewolves in my Buffy
> game....

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

It being three months gone, how about letting us know how your plot
worked out--or is working out?

BTW: If I'd been commenting, I'd've pointed out that the Templars were
no way the only ones who brought stuff back from the (Un)Holy Land!