Need help finding an LCD monitor

wookiemofo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I have a G5 at home, currently using 2 19" CRT monitors. I use the machine for graphic design, so color accuracy and font clarity is my main concern.

I am interested in replacing my CRTs with 2 19" LCDs. I guess widescreen isn't importan since Im not gaming or watching movies right?

Any suggestions? I don't know squat about them. Been looking at Samsung and LG. Is it better to get one big widescreen, or 2 standard monitors?

Thanks much for you assistance.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
If color accuracy is your main concern, then you need to be getting one with an IPS panel. (A PVA or SPVA panel might also do, you'll have to see what you like.)

You will want to avoid the gamer monitors... they virtually all have TN panels. Widescreen would be OK if your video card supports those resolutions.

wookiemofo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
It's a G5 dual 1.8GHz.

The video card is
nVidia GeForce 5200 FX 64MB DDR Video Card with ADC/DVI ports

Don't hold me to it, but i believe the resolution is 1280x960? It's my home machine, which I am not at at the moment.

How do I find IPS specific monitors?

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
That FX 5200 comes in so many configurations, hard to know what you have. When you said "ADC/DVI", did you mean "VGA and DVI"?

1280x1024 is the native resolution of 19" conventional LCDs, so that would be good. Also, your video card might be old enough that it would NOT support widescreen resolutions. So if you decide you want widescreen, you may need a new card. (I run multiple 19" @ 1280x1024, and it's quite nice.)

To find IPS panel screens.... SOME NEC and LG screens have them.. and occasional other models... a couple of Dells have had them... a Viewsonic here and there. To find out which monitors have IPS screens, you usually have to dig a little. Most makers don't volunteer that info.

How much per monitor is in your budget?

wookiemofo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I could be wrong, but I would be willing to be that the G5's video card supports wide screen. The unit was baught just over a year ago, and the apple cinema displays were out at that time, and were widescreen.

Macs don't have VGA inputs on them anymore, and haven't for awhile. ADC/DVI are the two inputs now included. I believe the difference is one allows power to the montior for firewire and USB (cinemas have 2 of each port).

Budget will vary. I'm thinking $250-$400 a monitor. If it comes down to a higher price ($400) I will have to get one now, and one later.

Or spend more on 1 bigger monitor, but I think dual is the way to go.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
One bigger monitor is likely to cost more than 2, 19".

I was thinking... there are not many 19" IPS panels. They are mostly at 20.1" and up. However, Newegg has an NEC LCD1970NX for $359.

If you don't get that one, then you'll likely be considering MVA or PVA type screens. They don't test as well as IPS panels for color, but are still good + have the best contrast ratios of any of the LCD panel types.

wookiemofo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I wouldn't complain about a 20" if the price is right.

Do i need/want widescreen? I work on a cinema at work, the only advantage I see to widescreen is more workspace off one monitor, but I am constantly struggling for height.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Well, you could rotate a 20.1 UXGA and have more height... 1600x1200 would become 1200x1600.

As for price, maybe $450-$650? Dell often has a well priced one, however the popular 2007FP apparently has *either* an S-IPS or S-PVA panel... and sales people don't have way of telling what you'd be getting when you order. S-PVA is also a top-notch choice, however.

Not all graphics programs and games handle widescreen monitors perfectly... rescaling issues. If you want to go that way, suggest you verify your software and video card do it right. Otherwise, you'd be taking a risk. (Personally, I'm not much of a widescreen fan... however games look mighty spiffy on the NEC 20WGX2.)

wookiemofo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Man, I never thought it could be so confusing.

How is this monitor? Found it locally used for $275

Samsung 19" 970P LCD monitor

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Man, I never thought it could be so confusing.

How is this monitor? Found it locally used for $275

Samsung 19" 970P LCD monitor

Actually that has been a top pick.... has a PVA panel. However, Samsung has just come out with an upgrade model... the 971P with better specs. Newegg had it for $359.

One BIG disadvantage for buying a used LCD is the warranty does not transfer to the new owner. I wouldn't buy a used one unless it was really cheap.

wookiemofo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
How low would you consider on that samsung? Maybe if I got it low enough and used it as my secondary, then bought the updated model from newegg as my primary monitor.

By the way, thanks for alll your help on this, I appreciate it.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Considering it's got no warranty for you and probably can't be fixed for a reasonable charge should it go bad.... I'd have be be feeling reckless to offer $150. You might point out the warranty concerns to the seller...

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
So at the moment it is between these 2:

NEC MultiSync LCD1970NX
$359 at newegg
Anyone know the difference between the NX and VX models?

Samsung 19" 971P LCD
$379 at CC, couldn't find it at newegg

If I wanted to drop below $300, am I stuck with something that isn't S-IPS or S-PVA?

$300 is a little marginal. There are a ton of TN panel screens from $179-$329.

I don't know if those would be the only choices, but on specs and according to buyer reviews, they are good ones.

Also, the Samsung 940T has a PVA panel (slower response time) and gets very good reviews for $299 at Newegg.

Best if you can see in person before you buy.

The NX has an S-IPS panel, the VX has a TN panel. Notice the difference in price and in viewing angle.

If you buy either the NEC or the Samsung 971P, I'm sure folks on this forum would be interested in your impression.

BMFM

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Just something to think about... Depending on your CRT, you might as well de downgrading your system.

If you have professional CRT’s, and since you work on graphic design, you should be very sure about your reasons to give up your CRT’s.

Yes LCD’s have improved quite a lot, but they still don’t match quality of image (including color accuracy, and brightness across the display, among others) of that of the best CRT’s around.

I’m just saying that because you did not expose your reasons for changing and I believe this should be a concern to you.

wookiemofo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Question

What difference does viewing angle make if you work directly in front of the monitor? Or does it sort of relate to the color consistency from one corner of the monitor to the other?

Especially with color correcting and so forth, there is a tendancy to get rather close and straight on to the image I am looking it.

If one of the main selling points/price factors in the S-IPS is viewing angle, I want to make sure it's something that will make a difference in my method of use.

I'm sure I will end up with one of two. The last time I bought a monitor, I went on the cheaper side... and returned it within a couple days. Mostly do to being uber critical when it comes to minute details in image quality.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Right. Viewing angle not much of an issue if you're concerned about how it looks when viewing it straight-on.

However, if you are going to be "uber critical" about color quality, totally forget about TN panels. IPS is known to be the best about color, SPVA is good, too.

Gamers really only care about speed [response time] and will tolerate all the shortcomings of TN panels.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Right. Viewing angle not much of an issue if you're concerned about how it looks when viewing it straight-on.

However, if you are going to be "uber critical" about color quality, totally forget about TN panels. IPS is known to be the best about color, SPVA is good, too.

You're looking at the "70 Series" in the NEC 1970NX. They also have a higher quality, "for professional use", the "90 Series.... like the LCD 1990SXi with S-IPS panel, and LCD 1990SXp with PVA panel. They cost more but have other things like color calibration software, some have longer warrantee, etc. Suggest you visit the NEC website.

Gamers really only care about speed [response time] and will tolerate all the shortcomings of TN panels. You are in a different ball park altogether.

wookiemofo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
2 main issues, 1 is spacial concerns. I recently remodeled my office, purchased a real nice desk... and now have 2 gigantic CRTs taking up half 75% of my desk!!!

Second reson, the wiring in my house is quite old, especially in the office. The monitors have to be set to a 60MHz refresh rate or the screens bounce all over the place (especially when the heat or air is on). The causes some major eye strain and headaches!

Third, my seconday monitor is on it's way out.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
2 main issues, 1 is spacial concerns. I recently remodeled my office, purchased a real nice desk... and now have 2 gigantic CRTs taking up half 75% of my desk!!!

Second reson, the wiring in my house is quite old, especially in the office. The monitors have to be set to a 60MHz refresh rate or the screens bounce all over the place (especially when the heat or air is on). The causes some major eye strain and headaches!

Third, my seconday monitor is on it's way out.

Well, getting a couple of new LCDs will solve those problems. They take up about 30% of the space of CRTs, and they are designed to run at 60hz (headaches and eye strain should go away).... and run on about 65% less current.

BMFM

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Just thought it was worth pointing out.

With less power draw from the LCD’s the bounce problem could go away. If not, and this could sound as obvious, but you might have to prepare yourself to replace the wiring in your office all the way to the power box. But that’s a problem for thereafter.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I have a G5 at home, currently using 2 19" CRT monitors. I use the machine for graphic design, so color accuracy and font clarity is my main concern.

I am interested in replacing my CRTs with 2 19" LCDs. I guess widescreen isn't importan since Im not gaming or watching movies right?

Any suggestions? I don't know squat about them. Been looking at Samsung and LG. Is it better to get one big widescreen, or 2 standard monitors?

Thanks much for you assistance.

If you are still considering 20.1", UXGA, I found a new Planar model on Newegg... the PL2011M... $435. It *appears* to have some sort of VA panel, but I couldn't confirm. You might want to contact Planar to verify if it catches your interest.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
You'll probably need to contact Planar directly to find out exactly which type of panel it has.

The fact that's it's NOT TN means it's probably pretty good all around except possibly for gaming speed. According to Tom's Hardware Guide, the best monitor for colors they ever tested was the Samsung 970P, and that's a PVA.

The overall quality of images will be determined by the panel, the chip which drives it, and the video card.

TRENDING THREADS