PC gone slow after applying hotfixes

xor

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my Windows 2000 PC to Windows XP SP1. The upgrade
went fine and I was able to work with Windows Exxplorer(explorer.exe). Open
My Computer Mapped drives etc and it was all fine. I decided to apply
Securoty and Critical Updates so I ran MBSA and applied all required updates
that came up post SP1.
Now my PC is really slow when working with Windows Explorer and it even took
few minutes to display drop down box for IE. The System log's this event in
the event log

Source: DCOM
Type: Error
Event: 10010

The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-........} did not register with DCOM within the
required timeout.

I cannot apply SP2 cause it updates the Intel AGP driver which caused my PC
to hang previously as a result had to re-build so that is not an option..

Any ideas???

xor

xor <xor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have recently upgraded my Windows 2000 PC to Windows XP SP1. The upgrade
>went fine and I was able to work with Windows Exxplorer(explorer.exe). Open
>My Computer Mapped drives etc and it was all fine. I decided to apply
>Securoty and Critical Updates so I ran MBSA and applied all required updates
>that came up post SP1.
>Now my PC is really slow when working with Windows Explorer and it even took
>few minutes to display drop down box for IE. The System log's this event in
>the event log

Usually you wil get better results when you do a clean-install of
Windows XP. Uninstall Windows XP and reinstall it parallel to Windows
2000. You will have to reinstall your programs in XP, but you can use
Windows 2000 until you are done and Windows XP is ready to use. Then
uninstall Windows 2000 manually by deleting its files.
"How to Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306559)

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233