NEC 90GX2 or Samsung 931-c?

deadwolf

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Recently I visited a Best Buy, and found two monitors that i was interested...

NEC 90GX2-BK
And
Samsung 931-C

After hours of thinking and reveiwing the store displays, i decied with the Samsung, but then after asking the stock person to get that model he returned and said sorry out of stock. I rushed home to look online only to discover that the 931-C model is not even being sold yet, and is not planned for realease till after the 2006 Cyber Games in November, so i was rather pissed, but any way..

Now my question is should i get the NEC now, and start playing BF2142 this week, or wait till after the 2006 Cyber games and get the Samsung?

The pricing is about the same, the specs all seem to be close, the Samsung is a 2 ms responce, the NEC is a 4, but i have read nothing but good reviews for the NEC...
Main purpose of montior is to play games, not DVDs, and day to day web browsing and photo work..

Any thoughts or ideas???

Thanks up front for anyone's two cents...
DW

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Glad you posted. Newegg had been carrying the 931C, then stopped. Now we know why.

The 931C has a conventional matte finish to the panel, right? The 90GX2 of course has the Brite screen. I happen to like the Brite screen... a lot. And the 90GX2 gets very good-to-outstanding reviews from Newegg buyers... of course, most reviewers already *liked* Brite screen before they purchased, so you would expect this group to rave about what they own... and they DO!

Yet if the 931C lives up to its specs, it could raise the bar for all gamer [TN panel] screens.

(I had become resolved to not buying any more LCDs with TN panels. However they ARE getting better, and these 2, I would consider in spite of my resolution.)

If you care to spend the dough, you might also check out the NEC 20WGX2. It has a 6ms AS-IPS panel, but one review compared it to the 2ms Viewsonic VX922 and said the NEC was "equally fast". I saw the NEC at Best Buy with Call of Duty playing on it and it was mighty impressive!

deadwolf

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I see newegg still offers the 931C but it is OEM, and i like my junk new....

I looked at the 20WGX2, little to pricey for me....

Yes the 931C is glossy, think thats why it caught my eye as well as the 90GX2, I like the Brite screen, and from the floor model i saw it didnt' look to bad as far as reflection in a well lite area for both models.

I guess the really question is do i wait? Is there something out there better than the two i posted to fit my needs and look amazing in my daily activites.. if not at this time, then i am leaning towards the NEC, i have NEC FFsb 19' now, and i love it, just my cats knocked my desk lamp on it and scratched the flat glass up pretty good.. makes games very very hard to play with a scratch in the targeting feild.

Thanks for the post Hose

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I have to search "Samsung LCD OEM" to get the 931C to come up at all...

As for Brite screens... they are being offered only on "consumer" type montors, not enterprise. I guess they figure consumer buyers can orient their monitors to cope with potential glare while enterprise users may not... ??

If you wait, there will always be something faster/cheaper/better. From what you say, the 931C will be available soon.

Now that I know the 931C has Brite screen, I'm looking forward even more to seeing it....

deadeninghate

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
i believe the 931c does not have a BRITE screen/Glossy screen,
the Bezel is what is glossy, for a more appealing packaging
newegg now has these in stock for $279 + $13 (USD) shipping
should have mine in today

deadwolf

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I did end up getting the 90GX2-BK, i have to say i love it. BF2142 is beautiful on it, no ghosting, no nothing.. the montior brings out alot of colors.. makes me want to cry sometimes...

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
If one doesn't like Brite screen, then Samsung 931C should be on the short list of considerations.

If one LIKES Brite screen, the 90GX2 is the stand-out choice. It gets CRAZY-high marks from buyers on Newegg!!

connor25

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
After reading your post on NEC 90GX2, I am now thinking of getting one of these, my only issue is how brite are they???? I mean are we talking blinding bright, enough to give a bad headache? or just amazingly clear???

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
After reading your post on NEC 90GX2, I am now thinking of getting one of these, my only issue is how brite are they???? I mean are we talking blinding bright, enough to give a bad headache? or just amazingly clear???

"Bright"? It's the glossy screen filter which is called Brite Screen.... and accounts for the vibrant colors and sharp text. (The matte finish of most monitors actually scatters light a bit to minimize ambient glare, but this same scattering tends to make text less sharp and colors a bit dull. The Brite screen allows the display's light to NOT be scattered... but this is also what allows for light reflection/glare where ambient light cannot be controlled.) However this monitor has 400 nits max brightness, which is waay too bright to view except in a brightly lit room.... typical usable brightness for most will be 100-150nits.... so as you can see, virtually ALL new monitors today have to be toned down from max brightness to avoid frying your brain!

You really should check this monitor out at Best Buy before you purchase if at all possible.

deadwolf

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Yes i recommend going to bestbuy and looking at the NEC Models there, they have the Opti-Clear screens on them, you will notice it is shiny. But when the monitor is on, it is not to noticable, but it makes a sharper image
Reflections could be an issue if you are working or playing in a bright enviorment and the light is right behind you...