Windows 7 install not detecting keyboard\mouse even though bios...

rpaulg87

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Recently I upgraded my motherboard\gpu\cpu, I also have a new SSD (Sandisk Xtreme 120GB) I am currently on a 60GB Mushkin Callisto with windows 7, when I try to install the new O.S. after the computer restarts, the keyboard and mouse are lit, once the setup resumes, both the lights go off and they do not work in the Windows 7 Install, I have checked all the bios stuff, everything is enabled that I can think of...I tried loading drivers, but it just resulted in a failed install with I tried the VIAUSB drivers, and INTEL wouldn't even recognize in the setup, I have a Gigabyte UD3H-Z77 board with the latest bios, 3570k I5, 8GB Mushkin DDR3, Windows 7 64bit, any ideas guys?

If your keyboard and mouse work when the computer first boots or when you go into bios then the bios isn't the issue. If they don't work in Windows then wait until the login screen comes up and unplug them and plug them back in so Windows sees a new keyboard and mouse. Then it should go out and try to find the correct drivers for the USB devices and install them.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
+1 what ex_bubblehead said. Make sure that you are using USB 2.0 ports for the mouse and keyboard. Windows 7 Setup does not know how to use USB 3.0 because the spec for USB 3.0 did not exist when Windows 7 Setup was written.

Which is really no excuse either, they could have pushed this out in an update to Windows 7 ages ago.

g7rp0

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

Thankyou very much was confusing the hell out of me :D trying to install win7 on a new machine (never had USB3 before) and was getting desperate.

Joined just to say thanks