Shaman King

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Shaman King is a cartoon with the interesting quirk of taking the most
absolutely loathesome bad guys and co-opting them into the ranks of
the heros. For example there's a family in China that does things
like murdering Bruce Lee at the height of his combat ability, so he
can be brought back with his soul bound into his corpse, turning him
into a kung fu zombie slave. Why did I bring it up? Well come on.
Bruce Lee living on as a kung fu zombie. GURPS is the perfect game
system for it...
9 answers Last reply
More about shaman king
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    David Johnston wrote:
    > Shaman King is a cartoon with the interesting quirk of taking the most
    > absolutely loathesome bad guys and co-opting them into the ranks of
    > the heros. For example there's a family in China that does things
    > like murdering Bruce Lee at the height of his combat ability, so he
    > can be brought back with his soul bound into his corpse, turning him
    > into a kung fu zombie slave. Why did I bring it up? Well come on.
    > Bruce Lee living on as a kung fu zombie. GURPS is the perfect game
    > system for it...

    All Flesh Must Be Eaten already does this sort of thing. They even have
    a wild martial arts supplement where zombies can use their intestines as
    flexible weapons for grappling, etc.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    > All Flesh Must Be Eaten already does this sort of thing. They even have
    > a wild martial arts supplement where zombies can use their intestines as
    > flexible weapons for grappling, etc.

    Actually, for the series in question Big Eyes, Small Mouth would
    probably be a better idea. (The first poster, no offence intended, gives
    me the impression that he does not necessarily grok the series, as what
    I have seen and read of the manga contradicts what he says in certain
    respects).
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:28:42 GMT, Alexander Case
    <alex.case@verizon.net> wrote:

    >Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    >> All Flesh Must Be Eaten already does this sort of thing. They even have
    >> a wild martial arts supplement where zombies can use their intestines as
    >> flexible weapons for grappling, etc.
    >
    >Actually, for the series in question Big Eyes, Small Mouth would
    >probably be a better idea.

    Why?

    (The first poster, no offence intended, gives
    >me the impression that he does not necessarily grok the series, as what
    >I have seen and read of the manga contradicts what he says in certain
    >respects).

    In what respects?
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    >>Actually, for the series in question Big Eyes, Small Mouth would
    >>probably be a better idea.
    >

    > Why?

    IMO, because that idea would propably meet less whining among BESM
    players as they more used to "anything goes" routine. And not to point
    out that BESM is far less crunchy (I'm talking about tri-stat, not d20
    version.

    And for the third GURPS will most likely breakdown bigtime (in terms of
    playability) if someone tries model Bruce Lee.

    Okay I've given up on GURPS when it comes to average anime powerlevel or
    cinematic martial arts, or truly highly skilled mundane martial artist.
    On the other hand GURPS runs low-powered(100-150 point)games perfectly
    and has host of good settings.

    > (The first poster, no offence intended, gives
    >
    >>me the impression that he does not necessarily grok the series, as what
    >>I have seen and read of the manga contradicts what he says in certain
    >>respects).

    In this I'd agree with Alexander.

    > In what respects?

    I've seen several episodes of the anime, and in the 6 or so first
    episode there were no loathsome villains among the spirits, for example
    that "cursed swordsmith" had very justifiable reason for his actions in
    life, and became "yurei"(ghost) because of the daimiyos greed and his
    "sense of duty" toward his friend.

    .../mika
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:53:42 +0300, Mika Peltola
    <atomiclich@notmail.com> wrote:

    >> In what respects?
    >
    >I've seen several episodes of the anime, and in the 6 or so first
    >episode there were no loathsome villains among the spirits,

    I never said there were loathesome villains among the spirits. The
    loathesome villains are among the shamen.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    David Johnston wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:53:42 +0300, Mika Peltola
    > <atomiclich@notmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>In what respects?
    >>
    >>I've seen several episodes of the anime, and in the 6 or so first
    >>episode there were no loathsome villains among the spirits,
    >

    > I never said there were loathesome villains among the spirits. The
    > loathesome villains are among the shamen.

    Also, there is the matter that, in my viewings of Shaman King, the
    majority of the time a Shaman would, sort of, allow his (or her) body to
    be "ridden" by a spirit, similar to how a vodoun is "ridden" by a loa.
    However, the Shaman has full control of expressing himself, and instead
    borrows the spirit's skills, and uses his ki (not the term they use, but
    I can't think of proper term right now) to perform special attacks.

    In all frankness, GURPS is, if not the worst possible system for running
    an anime setting like Shaman King (or numerous other action oriented
    shonen series), it is certainly not the best system for running an anime
    shonen campaign. In my analysis, BESM is definately the best choice. The
    basic system that BESM uses, the Tri-Stat system is avalable online for
    free (the "book" is called Tri-Stat Dx and is avalable as a DRM-free PDF
    at DriveThruRPG.com). I'd give it a look-see or find a copy of BESM and
    give that a read-through to see if that covers what you're looking for.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:23:38 GMT, Alexander Case
    <alex.case@verizon.net> wrote:

    >David Johnston wrote:

    >>>I've seen several episodes of the anime, and in the 6 or so first
    >>>episode there were no loathsome villains among the spirits,
    >>

    >> I never said there were loathesome villains among the spirits. The
    >> loathesome villains are among the shamen.
    >
    >Also, there is the matter that, in my viewings of Shaman King, the
    >majority of the time a Shaman would, sort of, allow his (or her) body to
    >be "ridden" by a spirit, similar to how a vodoun is "ridden" by a loa.

    Yep. Mind you they've got rules for that in GURPS Voodoo.
    Not that it matters. Actually I was just talking about the idea of a
    zombie Bruce Lee in something like Black Ops.

    >In all frankness, GURPS is, if not the worst possible system for running
    >an anime setting like Shaman King (or numerous other action oriented
    >shonen series), it is certainly not the best system for running an anime
    >shonen campaign. In my analysis, BESM is definately the best choice. The
    >basic system that BESM uses, the Tri-Stat system is avalable online for
    >free (the "book" is called Tri-Stat Dx and is avalable as a DRM-free PDF
    >at DriveThruRPG.com). I'd give it a look-see or find a copy of BESM and
    >give that a read-through to see if that covers what you're looking for.

    I have BESM. Great for magical girls, super psychics and giant
    robots, but I don't like it's approach to martial arts.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    >>In all frankness, GURPS is, if not the worst possible system for running
    >>an anime setting like Shaman King (or numerous other action oriented
    >>shonen series), it is certainly not the best system for running an anime
    >>shonen campaign. In my analysis, BESM is definately the best choice. The
    >>basic system that BESM uses, the Tri-Stat system is avalable online for
    >>free (the "book" is called Tri-Stat Dx and is avalable as a DRM-free PDF
    >>at DriveThruRPG.com). I'd give it a look-see or find a copy of BESM and
    >>give that a read-through to see if that covers what you're looking for.

    A word of warning Tri-Stat DX and BESM are related but not a same game
    system. TSDX was sort of an experiment from guys of Guardians of Order.
    IIRC it put out as free product because it did not work out well enough
    to be a full printed product.

    > I have BESM. Great for magical girls, super psychics and giant
    > robots, but I don't like it's approach to martial arts.

    Well I agree on that. Personally I use small martial arts addon to BESM,
    its basically an adaptation of GURPS:Martial Arts.

    .../mika
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    David Johnston kirjoitti:
    > Shaman King is a cartoon with the interesting quirk of taking the most
    > absolutely loathesome bad guys and co-opting them into the ranks of
    > the heros. For example there's a family in China that does things
    > like murdering Bruce Lee at the height of his combat ability, so he
    > can be brought back with his soul bound into his corpse, turning him
    > into a kung fu zombie slave. Why did I bring it up? Well come on.
    > Bruce Lee living on as a kung fu zombie. GURPS is the perfect game
    > system for it...

    I think that GURPS:Spirits(for 3rd ed.) is the book for this campaign :)

King Games Video Games