Sign in with
Your question

Format Windows 7 with 95 disc

Last response: in Windows 7
August 28, 2012 9:47:41 PM

Hello,
Can I format a hard drive that has windows 7 with a Win95 disc to get prompt to format 'c or d'

More about : format windows disc

a b $ Windows 7
August 28, 2012 10:37:15 PM

I seriously doubt that the DOS from that era would be able to handle a drive larger than 8.2GB. So the answer is no.
a b $ Windows 7
August 28, 2012 11:55:06 PM

No. Windows 95 can only handle FAT partitions -- FAT16 for Win95 gold and Win95a, Win95b (OSR2) and c had FAT32 support -- and almost every Windows 7 system will be using NTFS. If you had an NT4 or Windows 2000 disc, then maybe, but not Windows 95.
Related resources
August 29, 2012 12:08:50 AM

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you plan to wipe a disk that had windows 7 on it because you replaced it. Are you moving the disk to another system? You might be able to accomplish what you want by much simpler means. If you tell us what your intended outcome is, maybe we can come up with a better solution.
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 12:21:50 AM

You can use FDISK on it to delete the partitions.
Once you do that, you can boot with your intended o/s installation cd/dvd.
August 29, 2012 10:03:27 PM

JKatwyopc said:
What exactly are you trying to do? Do you plan to wipe a disk that had windows 7 on it because you replaced it. Are you moving the disk to another system? You might be able to accomplish what you want by much simpler means. If you tell us what your intended outcome is, maybe we can come up with a better solution.

Basically the computer is acting slow and all other methods to chuck out and gremlins does not seem to be working. I have a 2000 Boot disk, I have just forgot the prompts and how to deal with them till you arrive at the format C or D prompt to type format that drive
a b $ Windows 7
August 30, 2012 3:39:11 AM

Does the drive have a recovery partition? You could try a factory reset which would do a clean install.
August 30, 2012 3:50:43 AM

That sounds to me like you are trying to reinstall windows from scratch. If that's what you want to do then all you really need to to is select Advanced options during the install and then delete your primary partition, reboot and the install should be able to use the empty unpartitioned disk to perform the install. Windows 7 setup will partition the disk and install windows.
August 31, 2012 10:15:16 PM

Thanks all for responding, I shall let you know how I get on with the problem :bounce: 
!