Golf Handicap

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Has anyone done any work on what sort of handicap you can expect at golf for
a given skill level? Or would anyone care to guess? It'd be a nice
finishing touch to a character I'm making. Cheers.

"Robert Duffy" <duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone done any work on what sort of handicap you can expect at golf
> for
> a given skill level? Or would anyone care to guess? It'd be a nice
> finishing touch to a character I'm making. Cheers.

Can you translate how golf handicapping works for us non-golfers?

Scooter the mighty wrote:
> "Robert Duffy" <duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote in message
>
>>Has anyone done any work on what sort of handicap you can expect at golf
>>for
>>a given skill level? Or would anyone care to guess? It'd be a nice
>>finishing touch to a character I'm making. Cheers.
>>

> Can you translate how golf handicapping works for us non-golfers?

Golf handicaps basically works by giving you extra swings. On a typical
18 hole course the basic par for the course is 72 swings. With a
handicap of 28 you would have 28 extra swings to complete you round.
These swings are distributed to the individual holes before the match,
based on a rating of which holes are more difficult, so you can't use
all you extra 28 swings on one holes.

I the club I was in in Denmark you started with a handicap of 54, and
weren't allowed to go on the course by yourself until you reached 48,
which took about 4 weeks for most people. (Should be noted here, that at
least in the club I was in you handicap could only go down while it was
higher than 36, so a single lucky round could lower your handicap quuite
a bit). Casual amatuers will propably have around 30-36, more determined
amatuers will be in th 10-20 range. You can't have a handicap lower than
0, and handicap isn't used in professional tournaments, but professional
players typically complete a cause within -5 to +3 of par.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Nis Haller Baggesen <nhb@runestone.dk> abagooba zoink larblortch

> Golf handicaps basically works by giving you extra swings. On a
> typical 18 hole course the basic par for the course is 72 swings. With
> a handicap of 28 you would have 28 extra swings to complete you round.
> These swings are distributed to the individual holes before the match,

So it's a "maximum score" on a given hole? I take it that this is a game-
length control measure.

In <Xns962DE37128D80Yarblookie@216.196.97.136> "Bryan J. Maloney" <cavaggione@comcast.ten> writes:

>Nis Haller Baggesen <nhb@runestone.dk> abagooba zoink larblortch

>> Golf handicaps basically works by giving you extra swings. On a
>> typical 18 hole course the basic par for the course is 72 swings. With
>> a handicap of 28 you would have 28 extra swings to complete you round.
>> These swings are distributed to the individual holes before the match,

>So it's a "maximum score" on a given hole?

You subtract each hole's share of your handicap from the number
of strokes you actually take on that hole. Since a high number of
strokes is bad and weaker players get to subtract bigger numbers
this "evens the playing field" between players of different
abilities.

--
Remove any bits of tatt after the at in my address to reply

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Phil Turner <phil.turner@bltuaeyontdetr.co.uk> abagooba zoink larblortch

> In <Xns962DE37128D80Yarblookie@216.196.97.136> "Bryan J. Maloney"
> <cavaggione@comcast.ten> writes:
>
>>Nis Haller Baggesen <nhb@runestone.dk> abagooba zoink larblortch
>
>>> Golf handicaps basically works by giving you extra swings. On a
>>> typical 18 hole course the basic par for the course is 72 swings.
>>> With a handicap of 28 you would have 28 extra swings to complete you
>>> round. These swings are distributed to the individual holes before
>>> the match,
>
>>So it's a "maximum score" on a given hole?
>
> You subtract each hole's share of your handicap from the number
> of strokes you actually take on that hole. Since a high number of
> strokes is bad and weaker players get to subtract bigger numbers
> this "evens the playing field" between players of different
> abilities.

So it works just like a bowling handicap. That makes more sense.