Golf Handicap

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Has anyone done any work on what sort of handicap you can expect at golf for
a given skill level? Or would anyone care to guess? It'd be a nice
finishing touch to a character I'm making. Cheers.
5 answers Last reply
More about golf handicap
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    "Robert Duffy" <duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone done any work on what sort of handicap you can expect at golf
    > for
    > a given skill level? Or would anyone care to guess? It'd be a nice
    > finishing touch to a character I'm making. Cheers.

    Can you translate how golf handicapping works for us non-golfers?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    Scooter the mighty wrote:
    > "Robert Duffy" <duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Has anyone done any work on what sort of handicap you can expect at golf
    >>for
    >>a given skill level? Or would anyone care to guess? It'd be a nice
    >>finishing touch to a character I'm making. Cheers.
    >>

    > Can you translate how golf handicapping works for us non-golfers?

    Golf handicaps basically works by giving you extra swings. On a typical
    18 hole course the basic par for the course is 72 swings. With a
    handicap of 28 you would have 28 extra swings to complete you round.
    These swings are distributed to the individual holes before the match,
    based on a rating of which holes are more difficult, so you can't use
    all you extra 28 swings on one holes.

    I the club I was in in Denmark you started with a handicap of 54, and
    weren't allowed to go on the course by yourself until you reached 48,
    which took about 4 weeks for most people. (Should be noted here, that at
    least in the club I was in you handicap could only go down while it was
    higher than 36, so a single lucky round could lower your handicap quuite
    a bit). Casual amatuers will propably have around 30-36, more determined
    amatuers will be in th 10-20 range. You can't have a handicap lower than
    0, and handicap isn't used in professional tournaments, but professional
    players typically complete a cause within -5 to +3 of par.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    Nis Haller Baggesen <nhb@runestone.dk> abagooba zoink larblortch

    > Golf handicaps basically works by giving you extra swings. On a
    > typical 18 hole course the basic par for the course is 72 swings. With
    > a handicap of 28 you would have 28 extra swings to complete you round.
    > These swings are distributed to the individual holes before the match,

    So it's a "maximum score" on a given hole? I take it that this is a game-
    length control measure.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    In <Xns962DE37128D80Yarblookie@216.196.97.136> "Bryan J. Maloney" <cavaggione@comcast.ten> writes:

    >Nis Haller Baggesen <nhb@runestone.dk> abagooba zoink larblortch

    >> Golf handicaps basically works by giving you extra swings. On a
    >> typical 18 hole course the basic par for the course is 72 swings. With
    >> a handicap of 28 you would have 28 extra swings to complete you round.
    >> These swings are distributed to the individual holes before the match,

    >So it's a "maximum score" on a given hole?

    You subtract each hole's share of your handicap from the number
    of strokes you actually take on that hole. Since a high number of
    strokes is bad and weaker players get to subtract bigger numbers
    this "evens the playing field" between players of different
    abilities.

    --
    Remove any bits of tatt after the at in my address to reply
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    Phil Turner <phil.turner@bltuaeyontdetr.co.uk> abagooba zoink larblortch

    > In <Xns962DE37128D80Yarblookie@216.196.97.136> "Bryan J. Maloney"
    > <cavaggione@comcast.ten> writes:
    >
    >>Nis Haller Baggesen <nhb@runestone.dk> abagooba zoink larblortch
    >
    >>> Golf handicaps basically works by giving you extra swings. On a
    >>> typical 18 hole course the basic par for the course is 72 swings.
    >>> With a handicap of 28 you would have 28 extra swings to complete you
    >>> round. These swings are distributed to the individual holes before
    >>> the match,
    >
    >>So it's a "maximum score" on a given hole?
    >
    > You subtract each hole's share of your handicap from the number
    > of strokes you actually take on that hole. Since a high number of
    > strokes is bad and weaker players get to subtract bigger numbers
    > this "evens the playing field" between players of different
    > abilities.

    So it works just like a bowling handicap. That makes more sense.

Games Video Games