ASUS PW210 cheaper than Viewsonic VX2025WM: Which one to get

idoc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
Here in the Philippines, I can get the PW201 for $440 while the VX2025 costs $476. This is a far cry from Newegg prices where the the PW201 costs $560 inc. SH, $226 more than the VX2025.With these prices, can you guys pls help me decide which one to get?

The PW201, though bigger & wider (due to bigger bezel & side speakers), looks elegant with the glossy finish, metallic stand, and multi-adjustable stand. There have been few reviews for it though. The VX2025 looks nice and slick, and has been well-praised, but only has tilt adjusment.

PCWorld rated the ASUS and gave it better marks than the Viewsonic. LINKS: ASUS VS Viewsonic . Behardware.com seemed to prefer tha Viewsonic LINK: http://www.behardware.com/articles/...-6-8-16-ms.html Most of posters' comments suggest that the PW201 is a nice, well-featured monitor but many find the $200 price diff. over the Viewsonic too high. But now that I can get it cheaper, is it now a better choice? TIA for any comments, suggestions or feedback

Comments:
1: The PW201 extras (webcam, extra video connections, USB ports, headphone jack) are welcome but not important for me. I'll only be using DVI, my rig has lots of USB ports, and I have an A4Tech USB webcam. I don't think I'll be using PIVOT, and although the height adjustability is a plus factor, once I set up the monitor, I won'tbe changing the position anymore.
2: Glossy (PW201) probably won't be a problem for me since my computer area isn't too bright, and shielded from overhead lights. I don't do serious graphics and image editing (suposed to be weakness of glossy screens), just occassional photo adjustments.
3: I'm coming from a 19" Viewsonic VA912 which I'm dissatisfied with, partly due to brightness/contrast problems, as well as backlight bleeding. Quite a number of VX2025 owners seem to complain of the same problems with their monitors, as well as the dreaded "DVI port death syndrome". This somehow gives me some pause when I consider the VX2025 as a choice. I wonder how the ASUS fares here.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
You mention "glossy finish". That probably applies to the bezel. I don't see any mention of "glossy panel" which would mean Brite screen.

Both monitors appear to have VA panels, so the images should be about equal. Pick one.

idoc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
The screen/panel is glossy, like the NEC. (I believe the screen of the Viewsonic is matte) Not sure if the bezel is glossy too.

They have the same P-MVA panel: AU Optronics M201EW01 V0. But maybe there would be differences in the implementation in the 2 brands. I wonder which has better image quality? The extras and aesthetics of the ASUS are just bonuses

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
If you decide on the Viewsonic, suggest checking into it more carefully....

1. I saw the model listed as having an AUO PMVA panel, but it's PRICED at Newegg like it has a TN panel.

2. All (?) the other "VX" series have TN panels

3. Viewsonic's "VP" series is the Professional line, where one would expect higher end panels (not TN) and is priced accordingly.

The info sources on this monitor are inconsistent, so more verification is warranted.... JMO