E-mail folders disappeared

Hi folks, Newbie Here. Great Site.

Running MSN Mail on MSN Explorer v9.10 and XP Service Pack 2
installed.
No problems for about two years.

Yesterday, when accessing my e-mails, I noticed that my SENT MESSAGES
and ARCHIVED MAIL folders, along with two specifically name other
folders were missing, along with all the e-mails stored in these
folders. All four folders were on my DELL and all four contained quite
a few messages in each folder. Best info I could find so far is that
Internet Explorer mail handler gets confused (and slow) when dealing
with large numbers of files (e-mail messages). Have not found anything
more specific, nor any corrective measures. Microsoft has been
notified, and I understand that a correction to the large number of
messages problem will be released in Service Pack 3. In the meantime,
I have conducted searches for DBX files and have only located
FOLDERs(73KB), INBOX(37KB) , OFFLINE(10KB) and OUTBOX(50KB). Any Ideas
of where the other folders went? Can these be found and restored? IF
so, please provide details. Thanks in advance.

Regards
FLA Bob

--
FLABOB

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

FLABOB wrote:

> Hi folks, Newbie Here. Great Site.
>
> Running MSN Mail on MSN Explorer v9.10 and XP Service Pack 2
> installed.
> No problems for about two years.
>
> Yesterday, when accessing my e-mails, I noticed that my SENT MESSAGES
> and ARCHIVED MAIL folders, along with two specifically name other
> folders were missing, along with all the e-mails stored in these
> folders. All four folders were on my DELL and all four contained quite
> a few messages in each folder. Best info I could find so far is that
> Internet Explorer mail handler gets confused (and slow) when dealing
> with large numbers of files (e-mail messages). Have not found anything
> more specific, nor any corrective measures. Microsoft has been
> notified, and I understand that a correction to the large number of
> messages problem will be released in Service Pack 3. In the meantime,
> I have conducted searches for DBX files and have only located
> FOLDERs(73KB), INBOX(37KB) , OFFLINE(10KB) and OUTBOX(50KB). Any Ideas
> of where the other folders went? Can these be found and restored? IF
> so, please provide details. Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> FLA Bob

If you don't get any responses here you might want to post to an MSN
newsgroup. Here is a list of all MS public newsgroups:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.msn.discussion (More info?)

MSN Mail is also based on the DBX file structure, Ron, which is prolly one
reason why MSN now "owns" OE*, but I, too, am not in the least bit familiar
with MSN Mail's foibles. I can't imagine they're much different from OE's.

Can one compact MSN Mail folders? Does one need to do so? Dunno.

*The fact that Longhorn's Mail Client will not be named Outlook Express
won't be based on DBX file format (THANK YOU, JESUS!) is prolly the main
reason.
--
MSN-specific newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.msn.discussion (to which I've

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Ron Sommer wrote:
> I am not familiar with MSN Mail.
> You mention dbx files. Outlook Express uses dbx files. These files are
> hidden.
>
> Here is a post by PA Bear that addresses lost folders in Outlook Express.
<snip>
> > Running MSN Mail on MSN Explorer v9.10 and XP Service Pack 2
> > installed.
> > No problems for about two years.
> >
> > Yesterday, when accessing my e-mails, I noticed that my SENT MESSAGES
> > and ARCHIVED MAIL folders, along with two specifically name other
> > folders were missing, along with all the e-mails stored in these
> > folders. All four folders were on my DELL and all four contained quite
> > a few messages in each folder. Best info I could find so far is that
> > Internet Explorer mail handler gets confused (and slow) when dealing
> > with large numbers of files (e-mail messages). Have not found anything
> > more specific, nor any corrective measures. Microsoft has been
> > notified, and I understand that a correction to the large number of
> > messages problem will be released in Service Pack 3. In the meantime,
> > I have conducted searches for DBX files and have only located
> > FOLDERs(73KB), INBOX(37KB) , OFFLINE(10KB) and OUTBOX(50KB). Any Ideas
> > of where the other folders went? Can these be found and restored? IF
> > so, please provide details. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards
> > FLA Bob
> >

> > --
> > FLABOB