E-mail folders disappeared

Hi folks, Newbie Here. Great Site.

Running MSN Mail on MSN Explorer v9.10 and XP Service Pack 2
installed.
No problems for about two years.

Yesterday, when accessing my e-mails, I noticed that my SENT MESSAGES
and ARCHIVED MAIL folders, along with two specifically name other
folders were missing, along with all the e-mails stored in these
folders. All four folders were on my DELL and all four contained quite
a few messages in each folder. Best info I could find so far is that
Internet Explorer mail handler gets confused (and slow) when dealing
with large numbers of files (e-mail messages). Have not found anything
more specific, nor any corrective measures. Microsoft has been
notified, and I understand that a correction to the large number of
messages problem will be released in Service Pack 3. In the meantime,
I have conducted searches for DBX files and have only located
FOLDERs(73KB), INBOX(37KB) , OFFLINE(10KB) and OUTBOX(50KB). Any Ideas
of where the other folders went? Can these be found and restored? IF
so, please provide details. Thanks in advance.

Regards
FLA Bob

--
FLABOB
2 answers Last reply

    FLABOB wrote:

    > Hi folks, Newbie Here. Great Site.
    >
    > Running MSN Mail on MSN Explorer v9.10 and XP Service Pack 2
    > installed.
    > No problems for about two years.
    >
    > Yesterday, when accessing my e-mails, I noticed that my SENT MESSAGES
    > and ARCHIVED MAIL folders, along with two specifically name other
    > folders were missing, along with all the e-mails stored in these
    > folders. All four folders were on my DELL and all four contained quite
    > a few messages in each folder. Best info I could find so far is that
    > Internet Explorer mail handler gets confused (and slow) when dealing
    > with large numbers of files (e-mail messages). Have not found anything
    > more specific, nor any corrective measures. Microsoft has been
    > notified, and I understand that a correction to the large number of
    > messages problem will be released in Service Pack 3. In the meantime,
    > I have conducted searches for DBX files and have only located
    > FOLDERs(73KB), INBOX(37KB) , OFFLINE(10KB) and OUTBOX(50KB). Any Ideas
    > of where the other folders went? Can these be found and restored? IF
    > so, please provide details. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards
    > FLA Bob

    If you don't get any responses here you might want to post to an MSN
    newsgroup. Here is a list of all MS public newsgroups:
    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    MSN Mail is also based on the DBX file structure, Ron, which is prolly one
    reason why MSN now "owns" OE*, but I, too, am not in the least bit familiar
    with MSN Mail's foibles. I can't imagine they're much different from OE's.

    Can one compact MSN Mail folders? Does one need to do so? Dunno.

    *The fact that Longhorn's Mail Client will not be named Outlook Express
    won't be based on DBX file format (THANK YOU, JESUS!) is prolly the main
    reason.
    --
    MSN-specific newsgroup:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.msn.discussion (to which I've

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

    Ron Sommer wrote:
    > I am not familiar with MSN Mail.
    > You mention dbx files. Outlook Express uses dbx files. These files are
    > hidden.
    >
    > Here is a post by PA Bear that addresses lost folders in Outlook Express.
    <snip>
    > > Running MSN Mail on MSN Explorer v9.10 and XP Service Pack 2
    > > installed.
    > > No problems for about two years.
    > >
    > > Yesterday, when accessing my e-mails, I noticed that my SENT MESSAGES
    > > and ARCHIVED MAIL folders, along with two specifically name other
    > > folders were missing, along with all the e-mails stored in these
    > > folders. All four folders were on my DELL and all four contained quite
    > > a few messages in each folder. Best info I could find so far is that
    > > Internet Explorer mail handler gets confused (and slow) when dealing
    > > with large numbers of files (e-mail messages). Have not found anything
    > > more specific, nor any corrective measures. Microsoft has been
    > > notified, and I understand that a correction to the large number of
    > > messages problem will be released in Service Pack 3. In the meantime,
    > > I have conducted searches for DBX files and have only located
    > > FOLDERs(73KB), INBOX(37KB) , OFFLINE(10KB) and OUTBOX(50KB). Any Ideas
    > > of where the other folders went? Can these be found and restored? IF
    > > so, please provide details. Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > FLA Bob
    > >

    > > --
    > > FLABOB