Delete unwanted Microsoft banner/icon

My hard drive crashed recently and since it has been renewed and Windows XP
reinstalled, there is a small icon (I'm told it's a Microsoft icon) appearing
on EVERY screen which I am unable to delete. I will try to describe it, but
can send a screen dump if required. In its compact view it consists of:
a very narrow grey horizontal banner with whitish dots in the central section
4 rectangles (2 green, one red and one "yellow").
It's about 2.00cm wide x 1.5 cm. high
I have tried the usual Right Mouse Click/delete but nothing happens when I
right mouse click.
When I Left Mouse Click it expands into a narrow vertical window with
"Tasks" and "Sample " drop down menus and a string of thumbnails which have
nothing to do with me.

Can anyone help me get rid of this pesky thing?

--
Emily S

Do you have any antivirus or spyware protection or a firewall installed. I
haven't seen what you are describing but it sounds like spyware. Run Spybot
1.4 or Spysweeper to remove any spyware.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"Emily S" wrote:

> My hard drive crashed recently and since it has been renewed and Windows XP
> reinstalled, there is a small icon (I'm told it's a Microsoft icon) appearing
> on EVERY screen which I am unable to delete. I will try to describe it, but
> can send a screen dump if required. In its compact view it consists of:
> a very narrow grey horizontal banner with whitish dots in the central section
> 4 rectangles (2 green, one red and one "yellow").
> It's about 2.00cm wide x 1.5 cm. high
> I have tried the usual Right Mouse Click/delete but nothing happens when I
> right mouse click.
> When I Left Mouse Click it expands into a narrow vertical window with
> "Tasks" and "Sample " drop down menus and a string of thumbnails which have
> nothing to do with me.
>
> Can anyone help me get rid of this pesky thing?
>
> --
> Emily S

I apologise if I should not be sending this message to the group, but I don't
know what else to do. With regard to the response below, the thing is, I do
have antivirus protection installed, but It's there for a good reason and I
dont feel I can remove it . I would rather put up with the nuisance than
leave myself unprotected.

I'm happy for someone to adivse me about whether my response is
inappropriate for the group, so that I'll know what to do next time if I am
in a similar situation where I require further discussion on a matter.
Emily S

"uggabugga" wrote:

> Do you have any antivirus or spyware protection or a firewall installed. I
> haven't seen what you are describing but it sounds like spyware. Run Spybot
> 1.4 or Spysweeper to remove any spyware.
> --
> That's just like my opinion, Man........
>

> "Emily S" wrote:
>
> > My hard drive crashed recently and since it has been renewed and Windows XP
> > reinstalled, there is a small icon (I'm told it's a Microsoft icon) appearing
> > on EVERY screen which I am unable to delete. I will try to describe it, but
> > can send a screen dump if required. In its compact view it consists of:
> > a very narrow grey horizontal banner with whitish dots in the central section
> > 4 rectangles (2 green, one red and one "yellow").
> > It's about 2.00cm wide x 1.5 cm. high
> > I have tried the usual Right Mouse Click/delete but nothing happens when I
> > right mouse click.
> > When I Left Mouse Click it expands into a narrow vertical window with
> > "Tasks" and "Sample " drop down menus and a string of thumbnails which have
> > nothing to do with me.
> >
> > Can anyone help me get rid of this pesky thing?
> >
> > --
> > Emily S

Malke

Emily S wrote:

> I apologise if I should not be sending this message to the group, but
> I don't
> know what else to do. With regard to the response below, the thing
> is, I do have antivirus protection installed, but It's there for a
> good reason and I
> dont feel I can remove it . I would rather put up with the nuisance
> than leave myself unprotected.
>
> I'm happy for someone to adivse me about whether my response is
> inappropriate for the group, so that I'll know what to do next time if
> I am in a similar situation where I require further discussion on a
> matter. Emily S
>

> "uggabugga" wrote:
>
>> Do you have any antivirus or spyware protection or a firewall
>> installed. I haven't seen what you are describing but it sounds like
>> spyware. Run Spybot 1.4 or Spysweeper to remove any spyware.
>> --
>> That's just like my opinion, Man........
>>

>> "Emily S" wrote:
>>
>> > My hard drive crashed recently and since it has been renewed and
>> > Windows XP reinstalled, there is a small icon (I'm told it's a
>> > Microsoft icon) appearing
>> > on EVERY screen which I am unable to delete. I will try to
>> > describe it, but
>> > can send a screen dump if required. In its compact view it
>> > consists of:
>> > a very narrow grey horizontal banner with whitish dots in the
>> > central section 4 rectangles (2 green, one red and one "yellow").
>> > It's about 2.00cm wide x 1.5 cm. high
>> > I have tried the usual Right Mouse Click/delete but nothing happens
>> > when I right mouse click.
>> > When I Left Mouse Click it expands into a narrow vertical window
>> > with "Tasks" and "Sample " drop down menus and a string of
>> > thumbnails which have nothing to do with me.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help me get rid of this pesky thing?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Emily S

No one has suggested that you remove an antivirus. Uggabugga suggested
that you have some sort of spyware that you remove. What you are
describing is nothing standard on any Microsoft installation. Either
scan for malware yourself or take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA). From
your first post, it sounds as though you did not do the hard drive
replacement and Windows installation yourself but instead took the
machine to a shop. If this is correct and the odd display was there
immediately after receiving the machine and *before* you connected to
the Internet, take the machine back to the shop. Something is wrong.

Here are general malware removal steps. It is crucial that all work be
done with updated tools in Safe Mode. If you cannot get the tools on
the sick machine, get them from a different known-clean working
computer with an Internet connection and a cd burner (or have a usb
thumb drive with which to transfer the files you download).

First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. Then follow these detailed
malware removal steps, doing everything with updated tools in Safe
Mode. You can find all the links to referenced programs and sites on
my website here:

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
antivirus using updated definitions.

Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
below.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your
HJT log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help
with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
(Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers