My processor wont run at the right speed.

June 29, 2005 5:29:04 AM

Hey all, I have an AMD Athlon 2100+ processor, in a ABIT AT7-MAX2 Mother
Board. When I got the computer it was perfect, it ran at the optimal speed
all of the time...then I got a new processor, it was an AMD Athlon 2400...but
didnt work at the right speed...it always fell down to 1777. So I replaced
the original pentium, because I assumed my mother board could not work with
the new processor. Anyway, now my processor runs at 1555, if I go into the
CMOS options from the boot up screen and change the processor speed by the
time windows opens it returns back to 1555.

Also everytime I turn my pc on a little message comes up saying that the CPU
information has been changed and that I should consult the CPU options screen
for details....and I have to press F1 then windows loads normally. Other
than this problem my pc runs perfectly...so I am a little puzzled.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks for your time.
Alex
June 29, 2005 6:01:01 AM

this is most definitely a bios settings issue and nothing to do with windows,
point to note 2100+ and 2400+ plus are not the actual processor speeds so
check on amd's website for the actual processor speed and check that, while
you are there find out your settings i.e. multiplier, bus speed etc and you
should then be able to set ip up correctly in your bios
--
there are no problems, just challenges

"Al" wrote:

> Hey all, I have an AMD Athlon 2100+ processor, in a ABIT AT7-MAX2 Mother
> Board. When I got the computer it was perfect, it ran at the optimal speed
> all of the time...then I got a new processor, it was an AMD Athlon 2400...but
> didnt work at the right speed...it always fell down to 1777. So I replaced
> the original pentium, because I assumed my mother board could not work with
> the new processor. Anyway, now my processor runs at 1555, if I go into the
> CMOS options from the boot up screen and change the processor speed by the
> time windows opens it returns back to 1555.
>
> Also everytime I turn my pc on a little message comes up saying that the CPU
> information has been changed and that I should consult the CPU options screen
> for details....and I have to press F1 then windows loads normally. Other
> than this problem my pc runs perfectly...so I am a little puzzled.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
> Thanks for your time.
> Alex
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:30:22 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:29:04 -0700, "Al"
<Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hey all, I have an AMD Athlon 2100+ processor, in a ABIT AT7-MAX2 Mother
>Board. When I got the computer it was perfect, it ran at the optimal speed
>all of the time...then I got a new processor, it was an AMD Athlon 2400...but
>didnt work at the right speed...it always fell down to 1777. So I replaced
>the original pentium, because I assumed my mother board could not work with
>the new processor. Anyway, now my processor runs at 1555, if I go into the
>CMOS options from the boot up screen and change the processor speed by the
>time windows opens it returns back to 1555.
>
>Also everytime I turn my pc on a little message comes up saying that the CPU
>information has been changed and that I should consult the CPU options screen
>for details....and I have to press F1 then windows loads normally. Other
>than this problem my pc runs perfectly...so I am a little puzzled.
>
>Anyone got any ideas?
>Thanks for your time.
>Alex

What is the problem? AMD athlon chips are not numbered by their
speed. The 2100 or 2400 do not mean that they run at that speed.
They actually run at much slower speeds. The 1555 and 1777 you are
seeing is right about right for those 2 chips.
June 29, 2005 2:23:05 PM

Al wrote:
> Hey all, I have an AMD Athlon 2100+ processor, in a ABIT AT7-MAX2
> Mother Board. When I got the computer it was perfect, it ran at the
> optimal speed all of the time...then I got a new processor, it was an
> AMD Athlon 2400...but didnt work at the right speed...it always fell
> down to 1777. So I replaced the original pentium, because I assumed
> my mother board could not work with the new processor. Anyway, now
> my processor runs at 1555, if I go into the CMOS options from the
> boot up screen and change the processor speed by the time windows
> opens it returns back to 1555.
>
> Also everytime I turn my pc on a little message comes up saying that
> the CPU information has been changed and that I should consult the
> CPU options screen for details....and I have to press F1 then windows
> loads normally. Other than this problem my pc runs perfectly...so I
> am a little puzzled.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
> Thanks for your time.
> Alex

Your post makes no sense whatsoever.

1) WTF does "I replaced the original pentium" [/sic/] mean? You have
*NEVER* had a Pentium chip - Pentium is a trademark applied to certain
*Intel* CPUs, you've never had an *Intel* CPU in that box, you've had AMD
CPUs. A Pentium CPU will *NOT* fit in a board designed to accept an Athlon
CPU.

2) Nor has this anything to do with Windows, it is a BIOS issue and the
BIOS has nothing whatsoever to do with the operating system. The simple
answer is you have the FSB set incorrectly.

3) It really irks me when people refer to the BIOS as "the CMOS" - the
two terms are mutually exclusive and *NOT* interchangeable. It just shows
your ignorance: -

CMOS: - Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor, and is the name appiled to
the chip where the BIOS information is stored.

BIOS: - Basic Input Output System - this is where the basic information
about your computer is, when you save, it is *written* to the CMOS.
However, you do *NOT* "enter the CMOS".

4) Suggest that you need to change the multiplier. AthlonXP chips are
locked at a multiplier of 15, therefore you need to make sure the FSB is set
to 133 (133 x 15 = 2000 give or take (it's actually 1995, but the FSB has to
be a whole number; you cannot set it to 133.33 recurring)).
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:23:06 PM

> Al wrote:
> > Hey all, I have an AMD Athlon 2100+ processor, in a ABIT AT7-MAX2
> > Mother Board. When I got the computer it was perfect, it ran at the
> > optimal speed all of the time...then I got a new processor, it was an
> > AMD Athlon 2400...but didnt work at the right speed...it always fell
> > down to 1777. So I replaced the original pentium, because I assumed
> > my mother board could not work with the new processor. Anyway, now
> > my processor runs at 1555, if I go into the CMOS options from the
> > boot up screen and change the processor speed by the time windows
> > opens it returns back to 1555.
> >
> > Also everytime I turn my pc on a little message comes up saying that
> > the CPU information has been changed and that I should consult the
> > CPU options screen for details....and I have to press F1 then windows
> > loads normally. Other than this problem my pc runs perfectly...so I
> > am a little puzzled.
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas?
> > Thanks for your time.
> > Alex
>
> Your post makes no sense whatsoever.
>
> 1) WTF does "I replaced the original pentium" [/sic/] mean? You have
> *NEVER* had a Pentium chip - Pentium is a trademark applied to certain
> *Intel* CPUs, you've never had an *Intel* CPU in that box, you've had AMD
> CPUs. A Pentium CPU will *NOT* fit in a board designed to accept an Athlon
> CPU.
>
> 2) Nor has this anything to do with Windows, it is a BIOS issue and the
> BIOS has nothing whatsoever to do with the operating system. The simple
> answer is you have the FSB set incorrectly.
>
> 3) It really irks me when people refer to the BIOS as "the CMOS" - the
> two terms are mutually exclusive and *NOT* interchangeable. It just shows
> your ignorance: -
>
> CMOS: - Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor, and is the name appiled
> the chip where the BIOS information is stored.
>
> BIOS: - Basic Input Output System - this is where the basic information
> about your computer is, when you save, it is *written* to the CMOS.
> However, you do *NOT* "enter the CMOS".

Actually, he's entering data into the cmos memory via the bios setup. He
skipped some basic grammar to get across an idea. Most understood it,
including yourself obviously.

CMOS (complimentary metal semiconductor) describes the type of electronics
material the bios setup memory is used in its manufacture. Calling this
specific use memory "cmos" in itself is a very inaccurate term. This irks
me, but I tolerate it because that's what the status quo uses to communicate
the idea with.

As is "entering the cmos" transcending entering the bios setup, changing or
whatever, and saving. They mean the same thing by virtue of some people's
perceptions. And used as a shortcut of words to describe the same idea.
Even those that understand the difference between the words "bios", "bios
setup", and "cmos" may use the term "enter the cmos".

> 4) Suggest that you need to change the multiplier. AthlonXP chips are
> locked at a multiplier of 15, therefore you need to make sure the FSB is
set
> to 133 (133 x 15 = 2000 give or take (it's actually 1995, but the FSB has
> be a whole number; you cannot set it to 133.33 recurring)).

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:24:16 PM

We all understood but she always has to write extremely angry, negative
comments in response to postings here. Search for her past postings and you
will see. The majority of her responses denegrate and insult people who are
just trying to get some help here.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"Lil' Dave" wrote:

> [...]
> specific use memory "cmos" in itself is a very inaccurate term. This irks
> me, but I tolerate it because that's what the status quo uses to communicate
> the idea with.
>
> As is "entering the cmos" transcending entering the bios setup, changing or
> whatever, and saving. They mean the same thing by virtue of some people's
> perceptions. And used as a shortcut of words to describe the same idea.
> Even those that understand the difference between the words "bios", "bios
> setup", and "cmos" may use the term "enter the cmos".
>
> > 4) Suggest that you need to change the multiplier. AthlonXP chips are
> > locked at a multiplier of 15, therefore you need to make sure the FSB is
> set
> > to 133 (133 x 15 = 2000 give or take (it's actually 1995, but the FSB has
> > be a whole number; you cannot set it to 133.33 recurring)).

June 29, 2005 2:36:03 PM

These links show the real speed and rated speed of each processor.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%20XP%202100...

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%20XP%202400...

This one for the 3200+ shows and actuall speed of 2200.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%20XP%203200...

AMDs are made for overclocking so the numbers of the CPU don't necessarily
correlate with actual speed. It's kind of misleading in my opinion.
Especially, since you have to overclock the heck out of them to approach the
speed indicated by the CPU model #. And if you do overclock that far, you
need to hook up the CPU to your car's cooling system so it doesn't fry from
all the heat.
--

"Les Herrman" wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:29:04 -0700, "Al"
> <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey all, I have an AMD Athlon 2100+ processor, in a ABIT AT7-MAX2 Mother
> >Board. When I got the computer it was perfect, it ran at the optimal speed
> >all of the time...then I got a new processor, it was an AMD Athlon 2400...but
> >didnt work at the right speed...it always fell down to 1777. So I replaced
> >the original pentium, because I assumed my mother board could not work with
> >the new processor. Anyway, now my processor runs at 1555, if I go into the
> >CMOS options from the boot up screen and change the processor speed by the
> >time windows opens it returns back to 1555.
> >
> >Also everytime I turn my pc on a little message comes up saying that the CPU
> >information has been changed and that I should consult the CPU options screen
> >for details....and I have to press F1 then windows loads normally. Other
> >than this problem my pc runs perfectly...so I am a little puzzled.
> >
> >Anyone got any ideas?
> >Thanks for your time.
> >Alex
>

> What is the problem? AMD athlon chips are not numbered by their
> speed. The 2100 or 2400 do not mean that they run at that speed.
> They actually run at much slower speeds. The 1555 and 1777 you are
> seeing is right about right for those 2 chips.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:15:03 PM

Yo Dude, just go ur BIOS and check you CPU settings you have to over clock it
youre self or there shoule be some auto mode for ur CPU so that it can adjust
it self to its own right settings

"uggabugga" wrote:

> These links show the real speed and rated speed of each processor.
>
> http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%20XP%202100...
>
> http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%20XP%202400...
>
> This one for the 3200+ shows and actuall speed of 2200.
>
> http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%20XP%203200...
>
> AMDs are made for overclocking so the numbers of the CPU don't necessarily
> correlate with actual speed. It's kind of misleading in my opinion.
> Especially, since you have to overclock the heck out of them to approach the
> speed indicated by the CPU model #. And if you do overclock that far, you
> need to hook up the CPU to your car's cooling system so it doesn't fry from
> all the heat.
> --
> That's just like my opinion, Man........
>

> "Les Herrman" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:29:04 -0700, "Al"
> > <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hey all, I have an AMD Athlon 2100+ processor, in a ABIT AT7-MAX2 Mother
> > >Board. When I got the computer it was perfect, it ran at the optimal speed
> > >all of the time...then I got a new processor, it was an AMD Athlon 2400...but
> > >didnt work at the right speed...it always fell down to 1777. So I replaced
> > >the original pentium, because I assumed my mother board could not work with
> > >the new processor. Anyway, now my processor runs at 1555, if I go into the
> > >CMOS options from the boot up screen and change the processor speed by the
> > >time windows opens it returns back to 1555.
> > >
> > >Also everytime I turn my pc on a little message comes up saying that the CPU
> > >information has been changed and that I should consult the CPU options screen
> > >for details....and I have to press F1 then windows loads normally. Other
> > >than this problem my pc runs perfectly...so I am a little puzzled.
> > >
> > >Anyone got any ideas?
> > >Thanks for your time.
> > >Alex
> >

> > What is the problem? AMD athlon chips are not numbered by their
> > speed. The 2100 or 2400 do not mean that they run at that speed.
> > They actually run at much slower speeds. The 1555 and 1777 you are
> > seeing is right about right for those 2 chips.

June 29, 2005 9:26:36 PM

What really "irks" me Miss Tick is your continual carping at people
about the way they post with absolutely no help for the poster to the
original problem.
Why don't you just avoid reading the newsgroup if it irks you so much?
Do you go to other newsgroups and perform the same critical ritual?
Isn't there an alt.poor. english newsgroup you can monitor and post
in?
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:23:05 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
<test@test.com> wrote:

>Al wrote:
>> Hey all, I have an AMD Athlon 2100+ processor, in a ABIT AT7-MAX2
>> Mother Board. When I got the computer it was perfect, it ran at the
>> optimal speed all of the time...then I got a new processor, it was an
>> AMD Athlon 2400...but didnt work at the right speed...it always fell
>> down to 1777. So I replaced the original pentium, because I assumed
>> my mother board could not work with the new processor. Anyway, now
>> my processor runs at 1555, if I go into the CMOS options from the
>> boot up screen and change the processor speed by the time windows
>> opens it returns back to 1555.
>>
>> Also everytime I turn my pc on a little message comes up saying that
>> the CPU information has been changed and that I should consult the
>> CPU options screen for details....and I have to press F1 then windows
>> loads normally. Other than this problem my pc runs perfectly...so I
>> am a little puzzled.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas?
>> Thanks for your time.
>> Alex
>
>Your post makes no sense whatsoever.
>
>1) WTF does "I replaced the original pentium" [/sic/] mean? You have
>*NEVER* had a Pentium chip - Pentium is a trademark applied to certain
>*Intel* CPUs, you've never had an *Intel* CPU in that box, you've had AMD
>CPUs. A Pentium CPU will *NOT* fit in a board designed to accept an Athlon
>CPU.
>
>2) Nor has this anything to do with Windows, it is a BIOS issue and the
>BIOS has nothing whatsoever to do with the operating system. The simple
>answer is you have the FSB set incorrectly.
>
>3) It really irks me when people refer to the BIOS as "the CMOS" - the
>two terms are mutually exclusive and *NOT* interchangeable. It just shows
>your ignorance: -
>
>CMOS: - Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor, and is the name appiled to
>the chip where the BIOS information is stored.
>
>BIOS: - Basic Input Output System - this is where the basic information
>about your computer is, when you save, it is *written* to the CMOS.
>However, you do *NOT* "enter the CMOS".
>
>4) Suggest that you need to change the multiplier. AthlonXP chips are
>locked at a multiplier of 15, therefore you need to make sure the FSB is set
>to 133 (133 x 15 = 2000 give or take (it's actually 1995, but the FSB has to
>be a whole number; you cannot set it to 133.33 recurring)).

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:44:46 PM

Les Herrman wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:29:04 -0700, "Al"
> <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey all, I have an AMD Athlon 2100+ processor, in a ABIT AT7-MAX2
>> Mother Board. When I got the computer it was perfect, it ran at the
>> optimal speed all of the time...then I got a new processor, it was
>> an AMD Athlon 2400...but didnt work at the right speed...it always
>> fell down to 1777. So I replaced the original pentium, because I
>> assumed my mother board could not work with the new processor.
>> Anyway, now my processor runs at 1555, if I go into the CMOS options
>> from the boot up screen and change the processor speed by the time
>> windows opens it returns back to 1555.
>>
>> Also everytime I turn my pc on a little message comes up saying that
>> the CPU information has been changed and that I should consult the
>> CPU options screen for details....and I have to press F1 then
>> windows loads normally. Other than this problem my pc runs
>> perfectly...so I am a little puzzled.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas?
>> Thanks for your time.
>> Alex
>

> What is the problem? AMD athlon chips are not numbered by their
> speed. The 2100 or 2400 do not mean that they run at that speed.
> They actually run at much slower speeds. The 1555 and 1777 you are
> seeing is right about right for those 2 chips.

You're talking bollocks too. An Athlon 2400+ has a clock speed of 2GHz. The
2100+ has a clock speed of 1733. As I stated he had the FSB incorrectly
set - it should have been set to 133.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 1:30:57 AM

>. As I stated he had the FSB incorrectly
> set - it should have been set to 133.

Abit motherboards have "Soft Menu."

Everytime a major change in the computer is made, like flashing the BIOS . .
.. it gives a message that your CPU is not running at the correct speed. It
is annoying . . . but you will get use to it.

This is for the original poster: Make sure you are familiar with the Abit
motherboard. Read the manual on how to use the "Soft Menu." If you are
already familiar on how to use the "Soft Menu" . . . make sure you are not
in the "over clocking setting."

Orinello
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:52:49 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:44:46 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
<test@test.com> wrote:

>You're talking bollocks too. An Athlon 2400+ has a clock speed of 2GHz. The
>2100+ has a clock speed of 1733. As I stated he had the FSB incorrectly
>set - it should have been set to 133.

Sorry you are right. I forgot that they did have higher clock speeds
till they came out with the barton chips then they lowered the clock
speeds on the chips. For instance the 2500+ has a clock speed of only
1883
!