Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I'm sure that most of you here know each other and have for awhile but
since I'm new here I thought I would post this. If this has been done
before then excuse me. The question is how did it begin for you? You
know, what got you started playing GURPS?
When I first found role-playing I was 12. It was in the early 80's. I
played alot of D&D back then. I played Marvel Superheroes and even Star
Wars (when it was put out by West End Games). My mother (who is one of
these brainwashed christians that hates Magic,D&D, Harry Potter) Decided
that D&D was the work of the devil. She burned all my D&D books. She
didn't care that I played other RPG's. so some time in the late 80's (I
think) I found GURPS. I loved it. It gave me a way to play D&D without
calling it D&D. I think it's funny now. Now I'm almost 30 and I have a
wife and teen-age son that play everything I'm into...Board
games,wargames,ccg,cmg.
I guess that maybe you "don't" always turn into your parents.

Bruce Wayne wrote:
> I'm sure that most of you here know each other and have for awhile but
> since I'm new here I thought I would post this. If this has been done
> before then excuse me. The question is how did it begin for you? You
> know, what got you started playing GURPS?

I had not considered GURPS as an RPG, even though I had played it
once or twice in the mid-90's. When GURPS Alpha Centauri came out
though, I went ahead and aqcuired the 3rd edition core books.

Been playing SJG games though since the latter half of the 70's. I
really liked the original car wars alot!, and of course owned &
played Melee & Wizard, Ogre & Gev, as well.

Re,
Dirk

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:43:53 -0400, Batman475@webtv.net (Bruce Wayne)
wrote:

> I'm sure that most of you here know each other and have for awhile but
>since I'm new here I thought I would post this. If this has been done
>before then excuse me. The question is how did it begin for you? You
>know, what got you started playing GURPS?

I was... 15 or 16, cen't remember.
We played original, first ed. D&D, then, and I wasn't satisfacted by
the rules.

I found in a toy store (!) the GURPS 3rd ed. (Italian edition) manual,
and me and a friend of mine decided to invest the equivalent of 22
Euro of today... Which was a HUGE sum for us! ^_____^

I was fascinated because, even at a first look, it occured to me it
had lots of rules for "special cases": penalty to attackers for cover
of the target, for example! It made me, let's say, "WHOA!"...

It's a classical case of "love at first sight". ^__________^

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In message <27509-4259E469-265@storefull-3176.bay.webtv.net>, Bruce
Wayne <Batman475@webtv.net> writes
>You know, what got you started playing GURPS?

Well, I'm an Old Gaming Dinosaur. I was 21 when I started playing (New
Year's Day 1976) and there were only the three original booklets and
Greyhawk available.

I kept on playing DnD and gradually discovering other games. Gave up DnD
in 1979 (about the time of the release of ADnD: saw a copy of the
PLAYER'S GUIDE and DM'S GUIDE for sale on a charity bazaar at the
weekend. Nostalgia city!) and mostly moved to RuneQuest.

Then I was on tour as an actor in 1986-87. We were rehearsing
ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD in Nottingham and I saw the first
GURPS Basic Set in a store there and bought it after an afternoon's
dithering. Ran my first campaign with some of the other actors on the
tour. And it's been one of my two favourite games ever since. (The other
being RuneQuest.)

--
Michael Cule

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Like a lot of people, D&D was my gateway drug, although I ended up
playing a lot of other games as well. After college my various gaming
friends kind of drifted away, and I didn't do much RPGs. One day a
friend of mine from the good old gaming days invited me to join his
group. His group was doing GURPS, so that's what I've been doing
since.

"Bruce Wayne" <Batman475@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I'm sure that most of you here know each other and have for awhile but
> since I'm new here I thought I would post this. If this has been done
> before then excuse me. The question is how did it begin for you? You
> know, what got you started playing GURPS?
> When I first found role-playing I was 12. It was in the early 80's. I
> played alot of D&D back then. I played Marvel Superheroes and even Star
> Wars (when it was put out by West End Games). My mother (who is one of
> these brainwashed christians that hates Magic,D&D, Harry Potter) Decided
> that D&D was the work of the devil. She burned all my D&D books. She
> didn't care that I played other RPG's. so some time in the late 80's (I
> think) I found GURPS. I loved it. It gave me a way to play D&D without
> calling it D&D. I think it's funny now. Now I'm almost 30 and I have a
> wife and teen-age son that play everything I'm into...Board
> games,wargames,ccg,cmg.
> I guess that maybe you "don't" always turn into your parents.

I like to buy Steve Jackson's stuff. I started with Ogre and never really
stopped, though slowed at times.