Distinguished
Apr 30, 2004
TO ALL:

Y'all know how RDRAM will be packaged in RIMM's. THEN will SLDRAM be
packaged in DIMM's or will the consortium create something revolutionary for
SLDRAM packaging??

Thanx. All replies welcome

G

Never heard of SLDRAM did a quick google and now im wondering whats up with the SyncLyncDram is it dead?
Might some of the tech be use in the future?

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Yes, SLDRAM is dead. It never reach industry wide acceptance which plays a big part in longevity. What you see in the market right now is the majority of what you will see in the future. Any new technology that challenges the way memory is made will be sure to fail if it is far from the norm.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Over the next 5 years I expect DDRII to overtake the market. By the time it's had its run, something newer will probably be around, possibly something you've never heard of!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
DDR 2 on 64 bit DIMM 2004
DDR 3 on 64 bit DIMM 2007
RDRAM yellowstone in console and few others application.

i need to change useur name.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe not DDRIII. Remember that DDRII has pleanty of room left in it, and motherboard makers are trying to reduce the number of traces and the size of components. Perhaps something serial, like RDRAM :tongue:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I really don't think RDRAM has a long life ahead of it. With the speeds of the DDR2 and the price of RDRAM I think the overall scope of the PC world will center around DDR. Sure in some aspects RDRAM seems faster but the overall performance DDR has it beat. RDRAM has such small market penetration.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, some people can't take a joke. I was meaning to imply that within the next 5 years a new serial technology might be available to the PC, and mentioned RDRAM in jest (hence the smiley with its tongue out).

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Can you find 1 aspect that is better on DDR 1 2 3 or any thing that have ever been release or to be release in 100 year by Jedec that is better that RDRAM.

i need to change useur name.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Ok I have a question, most top of the line graphics cards use a 256Bit memory interface which doubles the theorectical peak bandwidth. Now I know dual channel mode with system RAM increases the bus size from 64bit to 128bit...cant the same be done again without too much diffiulty?

<font color=blue>I have far too much time on my hands</font color=blue>

G

COuld we make some QIMM instead of DIMM;
Dual Inline Memory Module vs Quad Inline Memory module...
Or Quad channel instead of dual channel...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I'd be inclined to agree with Crash on this. Look at all the new specs: PCI-ex, which is serial, SATA, which is serial. Mobo makers learned its easier to go fast and narrow. And I think the failure of RDRAM was largely due to Rambus' hamfisted relations with other companies. If a new serial standard usable by all came out, I think it would be adopted. And yes, it may be a PCI-EX-like scalable architechture. Want dual channel, add another lane.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl