Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Laptop Help

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 26, 2009 3:51:39 PM

I'm primarily looking for something mobile with some power so I can play games on the road. Priorities would be speed, graphics, LCD size. So to answer the questions...

1_What is your budget?
$1000-$2000. I'd prefer to stay under $1500, but if there is a good deal or substantial upgrade involved in going up to $2000 I can do that.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Probably minimum screen size of 15". Prefer 17" or more though.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
This is a priority, so I'd like to make it pretty good.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Basically desktop replacement but with portability.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not a priority. I would think 1-3 hours minimum depending on usage. More would just be a bonus.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Top priority. World of WarCraft, though that is not too graphically intensive. Other games like Fallout 3 I'd like to run in high settings.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
I'm not one for fluff. I don't need a camera or any peripherals. A full keyboard with numpad would be nice.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
I plan to switch everything over to an external HD soon, so I don't think I'll need a large HD in the actual laptop.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
I'm not sure where to look. All I know is my last gaming laptop was from Alienware and that thing plagued my life with problems.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Probably 3 years.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
I haven't researched computers in years - is AMD or Intel leading the pack in laptop processors these days? And which processors should I be watching for while shopping?

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
As mentioned before, no Alienware. Unless they are now giving $1,000s in discounts to make up for their customer service. But back when I ordered from them, it was the other way around. $3,100 for a laptop that broke 3 times in 2 months, then they took 4 hours of talking on the phone before they'd do anything about it each time. My last 2 non-gaming laptops have been HP/Compaq and I loved them, but not necessarily married to them.

13_What country do you live in?
US

Thank you in advance for any input.

More about : gaming laptop

January 26, 2009 7:21:22 PM

as frozenlead mentioned on my thread, a sager notebook is very cheap and REALLY good for games.
go to
www.sagernotebook.com
Related resources
January 26, 2009 8:13:22 PM

Thanks a lot. Hadn't heard of them before, but I'll definitely check them out. Any other companies that specialize in gaming laptops that might be comparable?
!