Native resolution question.

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I know lcds have issues displaying resos different than their native resolution due to the interpolation involved. Let's say i was awesome and had a 3007WFP. since it's native rseolution is 2560x1600, could i run it at 1280x800? I found on forums around the net that this is a weird resolution anyway. And if it was possible, would it have a big black border around the image?
Also, if it could run fullscreen would there be any image issues. I ask this, because this resolution theoretically could display this without using interpolation. This is a much more comfortable resolution to game with considering that almost no newer game can be run at 2560x1600. thanks.

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Thanks for the info. I don't actually have a monitor with this capability. I said i would be awesome if i did. But clearing up most of my questions helps a lot. It gives me hope to buy a monitor of this capability. I'm really in the dark as far as lcds are concerned. Now, if i had the issue with the black borders, are there ways to fix it?

I'm am although very comfotable with editing .ini files and such to get the resolution that i want. I actually use a 19in crt and run various widescreen resos with it. I just vertically squash the screen image to its proper proportion. It really works great because when i squash the image, the display can produce a brighter image, for me, by altering the vertical dot pitch.

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Actually, i found on other forum topics that most monitors scale automatically. It seems if the borders happen, its software related. And there are also programs available to do it, and you mentioned the nvida/ati control panel does this too. This is all starting to make sense. If you have more input, by all means do so. You seem to know your stuff.

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
wow. thanks a lot for the help. it's too bad the results were disappointing. Since i understand the scaling issues now, I think i'm gonna go with either a ViewSonic VX922 or a BenQ FP93GX. So far I'm probably gonna sacrifice with a higher price for the VX922 ($270 vs. $240) since i've read it's superior for gaming, but just by a little. I'll also use 1280x720 for my resolution since it shouldn't cause any problems. This is my favorite reso to play with. I can play all new games at this reso quite well.

Thanks again for your help.

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I've done even more research. I'm now gonna go with a crt. the dead pixel issue with lcds is freaking me out. I'm the type of guy that will stop using a monitor that has even one dead pixel. right now i'm thinking about getting a refurbished gdm-fw900. one with a two year warranty just to be safe. by the time that goes, sed displays should be out, and they seem to have the most promise for gamers.

thanks once again for your help!

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
good idea. i'm gonna check it out.
*update* i looked in my area (raleigh, NC). Unfortunately the two only monitors listed were $600 & $1000. That's what I'd get with a refurbished plus a warranty. Once i have the money to get one, i'll check again just in case

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
yeah. there are only a couple of gdm-fw900s, and they cost about as much as a refurbished one. at that price i really want a warranty. thanks for your help.

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Yeah. I hear ya. But this monitor will be the last crt I ever buy. So if it's my last crt, I want it to be the best. By the time it craps out, SED displays should be available.