Sign in with
Your question

Native resolution question.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 19, 2006 11:59:02 PM

I know lcds have issues displaying resos different than their native resolution due to the interpolation involved. Let's say i was awesome and had a 3007WFP. since it's native rseolution is 2560x1600, could i run it at 1280x800? I found on forums around the net that this is a weird resolution anyway. And if it was possible, would it have a big black border around the image?
Also, if it could run fullscreen would there be any image issues. I ask this, because this resolution theoretically could display this without using interpolation. This is a much more comfortable resolution to game with considering that almost no newer game can be run at 2560x1600. thanks.
October 20, 2006 3:31:43 AM

1280 x 800 is exactly half 2560 x 1600, meaning that what once was one pixel would be respresented by exactly 4 pixels. These perfect divisions of the native resolution should have very little or no image distortion because the computer should not have to try to fit a pixel across something like 1.5 pixels or whatnot. So, it should look good for the desktop; however, I would try it out to make sure. I hae not personally confirmed this (though if you want, I might).

Also, for your desktop, you should be able to find a way to set almost any weird resolution -- even that one you mentioned.

As for fullscreen games, I have found that using scaling in games is actually fairly good on LCD monitors despite how much people say to the contrary. However, I did several specific things:
1. I used the graphics card scaling and not the monitor scaling (for nvidia, it is in the special nvidia control panel).
2. I scaled to the same ratio as the native resolution. Say, the native resolution is 1600x1200, then the ratio is 4:3. So, picking something like 1024x768, comes out to the same ratio of 4:3.

Now, the ratio for your monitor is 3:2, so you would have to find resolutions with that ratio. The problem that you will probably run into is that some, or even many, games will not offer you such a choice. You may have to go onto various forums and sites for each game that you play and see if they offer some kind of way to edit the game to allow odd resolutions (like some kind of command line option or way to edit a text file). This is going to be a major issue with that odd resolution on that monitor. If you have a small set a games that you play, then you can check on this beforehand.

Also, I should note, I have also played using no scaling with a little black borders around games... and this actually is not too bad since the monitor is so big anyways.
October 20, 2006 5:34:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't actually have a monitor with this capability. I said i would be awesome if i did. But clearing up most of my questions helps a lot. It gives me hope to buy a monitor of this capability. I'm really in the dark as far as lcds are concerned. Now, if i had the issue with the black borders, are there ways to fix it?

I'm am although very comfotable with editing .ini files and such to get the resolution that i want. I actually use a 19in crt and run various widescreen resos with it. I just vertically squash the screen image to its proper proportion. It really works great because when i squash the image, the display can produce a brighter image, for me, by altering the vertical dot pitch.
Related resources
October 20, 2006 5:46:33 PM

Actually, i found on other forum topics that most monitors scale automatically. It seems if the borders happen, its software related. And there are also programs available to do it, and you mentioned the nvida/ati control panel does this too. This is all starting to make sense. If you have more input, by all means do so. You seem to know your stuff.
October 20, 2006 10:22:54 PM

Did a little testing for you.

Some thoughts:
If you scale the monitor to exactly half it's maximum resolution then....

If you use scaling from the nvidia control panel, then it has more blur in the image.
If you use the monitor's native scaling (at least on the VP2030b), then the picture appears to be sharper, but it is still blurred/soft a little.

Also, "Clear Type" may not be a good choice for the half resolution.
You may want to turn off "Clear Type" for text and just use regular antialiasing. With "Clear Type" on, the text appeared more blurry; however, I don't know if this was simply because the monitor was applying a filtering/blur effect to everything or whether it shows that "Clear Type" is not a good idea for the half resolution.

However, despite all of this, the picture still doesn't look as good as I would expect. The screen still appears to have a softness to it even though it is an even half. Some testing shows that even the monitor's built in scaling (which is better) seems to apply a filter to scale the image down instead of mapping 1 pixel to exactly 4 pixels. This results in a softer, more blurred image. (To see an example of this, compared Windows XP's built in image viewer program to something like MS Paint. Then zoom in in both programs and notice the difference. Windows XP's image viewer applies a filter of sorts as it scales down resulting in a softer, blurred image. MS Paint preserves each pixel as it zooms in, resulting in a sharper image, but with the noticeable blockiness of each pixel.)

If you think that preserving each pixel like MS Paint does would be preferred, then the only way that this could be fixed is for whoever makes your video card to release an option in the video card drivers that stops it from filtering the image as it scales it down.
October 23, 2006 4:26:37 PM

wow. thanks a lot for the help. it's too bad the results were disappointing. Since i understand the scaling issues now, I think i'm gonna go with either a ViewSonic VX922 or a BenQ FP93GX. So far I'm probably gonna sacrifice with a higher price for the VX922 ($270 vs. $240) since i've read it's superior for gaming, but just by a little. I'll also use 1280x720 for my resolution since it shouldn't cause any problems. This is my favorite reso to play with. I can play all new games at this reso quite well.

Thanks again for your help.
October 23, 2006 6:48:33 PM

Well, keep in mind that with games, scaling might be fine. However, for the desktop, unless you can convince the driver manufacturers to change the way they do scaling, then running at native resolution is best.
October 25, 2006 1:39:58 AM

I've done even more research. I'm now gonna go with a crt. the dead pixel issue with lcds is freaking me out. I'm the type of guy that will stop using a monitor that has even one dead pixel. right now i'm thinking about getting a refurbished gdm-fw900. one with a two year warranty just to be safe. by the time that goes, sed displays should be out, and they seem to have the most promise for gamers.

thanks once again for your help!
October 25, 2006 4:00:53 AM

You might want to check craigslist for some people who might be selling used monitors locally. Keep in mind that you would want to pay even less for a used monitor than a refurbished one since you don't know how long it lasts.

Perhaps you could even make a deal where you pay them say $50, then if the monitor goes bad after 1 month, they give you back 40, by the end of the yer 30, after 1 year 20, after 2 years 10.
October 27, 2006 4:48:00 PM

good idea. i'm gonna check it out.
*update* i looked in my area (raleigh, NC). Unfortunately the two only monitors listed were $600 & $1000. That's what I'd get with a refurbished plus a warranty. Once i have the money to get one, i'll check again just in case
October 28, 2006 5:50:54 PM

yeah. there are only a couple of gdm-fw900s, and they cost about as much as a refurbished one. at that price i really want a warranty. thanks for your help.
October 29, 2006 1:10:22 AM

You could also try this site:
http://www.accurateit.com/pricelist.asp

Personally, the locally bought ones might be the best option -- usually cheaper and you might be able to arrange for a warranty like described earlier. However, as you noticed, you may have to pick a different model.
October 29, 2006 12:14:10 PM

Yeah. I hear ya. But this monitor will be the last crt I ever buy. So if it's my last crt, I want it to be the best. By the time it craps out, SED displays should be available.
October 30, 2006 4:26:38 PM

Thing is why pay several hundered dollars for one monitor that may or may not work good for many years, when you can buy two or three monitors for a lot less that might last only a few years? I too like to buy stuff for the long term, however, in this case, it simply does not seem like the best idea to buy a longterm solution.
Thing is, it is very hard to find a new CRT considering they haven't made CRTs for 2 years (so I'm told); the best options might actually be refurbished or used.
!