98SE to XP home..help please

June 29, 2005 2:11:51 PM

Nervously I have decided to install Win XP Home on my single desktop, which
had win98se on.
I wish to do a clean install.
I have done FDIDISK, rebooted & FORMATTED H/D by "Format c: /s" method,
after remove old partitions.....that's how I installed 98se previously.
I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on the XP CD
from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy drive.
Currently when I reboot without the floppy in the screen shows dos the
prompt, but unable to access any other drive....The directory of c: prompt
shows "command com" 1 file(s).
I am posting here now using my laptop (win98se), but obviously able to
"surf", hence I may obtain help this route.
I have no CD writer in laptop but have a cd rom drive & floppy drive.
Hope I have explained my dilema ok???
Tel

More about : 98se home

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:11:52 PM

Your computer is good enough for XP?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/defau...

Will all of your programs run on XP?

I seriously doubt a 98SE computer will update to XP.
--
Ron Sommer

"tel" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 9ts57$a60$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Nervously I have decided to install Win XP Home on my single desktop,
> which
> had win98se on.
> I wish to do a clean install.
> I have done FDIDISK, rebooted & FORMATTED H/D by "Format c: /s" method,
> after remove old partitions.....that's how I installed 98se previously.
> I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on the XP
> CD
> from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy drive.
> Currently when I reboot without the floppy in the screen shows dos the
> prompt, but unable to access any other drive....The directory of c: prompt
> shows "command com" 1 file(s).
> I am posting here now using my laptop (win98se), but obviously able to
> "surf", hence I may obtain help this route.
> I have no CD writer in laptop but have a cd rom drive & floppy drive.
> Hope I have explained my dilema ok???
> Tel

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:11:52 PM

"tel" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 9ts57$a60$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Nervously I have decided to install Win XP Home on my single desktop,
which
> had win98se on.
> I wish to do a clean install.
> I have done FDIDISK, rebooted & FORMATTED H/D by "Format c: /s" method,
> after remove old partitions.....that's how I installed 98se previously.
> I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on the XP
CD
> from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy drive.
> Currently when I reboot without the floppy in the screen shows dos the
> prompt, but unable to access any other drive....The directory of c: prompt
> shows "command com" 1 file(s).
> I am posting here now using my laptop (win98se), but obviously able to
> "surf", hence I may obtain help this route.
> I have no CD writer in laptop but have a cd rom drive & floppy drive.
> Hope I have explained my dilema ok???
> Tel

Rather than go through the hassle of making the 6 XP boot floppies, here's a
one floppy route that uses the method you're trying to use and are used to:
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

If your PC allows boot from CD via bios setup, the XP CD is bootable. Then,
the above is not needed.
June 29, 2005 2:11:52 PM

You do not format your drive C: first. XP install will take care of that!
XP does not use DOS to boot. Use FDISK again and revome the partiton(s) and
then boot the XP CD.

If the XP CD is an Upgrade CD, you will need your Win98SE CD close by. The
Upgrade will need to check the Win98SE CD in order to see if you qualify for
the Upgrade. Also, never get rid of your Win98SE CD! It will be needed
each time you re-install XP.

"tel" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 9ts57$a60$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Nervously I have decided to install Win XP Home on my single desktop,
> which
> had win98se on.
> I wish to do a clean install.
> I have done FDIDISK, rebooted & FORMATTED H/D by "Format c: /s" method,
> after remove old partitions.....that's how I installed 98se previously.
> I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on the XP
> CD
> from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy drive.
> Currently when I reboot without the floppy in the screen shows dos the
> prompt, but unable to access any other drive....The directory of c: prompt
> shows "command com" 1 file(s).
> I am posting here now using my laptop (win98se), but obviously able to
> "surf", hence I may obtain help this route.
> I have no CD writer in laptop but have a cd rom drive & floppy drive.
> Hope I have explained my dilema ok???
> Tel

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:27:59 PM

tel wrote:
> Nervously I have decided to install Win XP Home on my single desktop,
> which had win98se on.
> I wish to do a clean install.
> I have done FDIDISK, rebooted & FORMATTED H/D by "Format c: /s"
> method, after remove old partitions.....that's how I installed 98se
> previously.
> I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on
> the XP CD from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy
> drive.
> Currently when I reboot without the floppy in the screen shows dos the
> prompt, but unable to access any other drive....The directory of c:
> prompt shows "command com" 1 file(s).
> I am posting here now using my laptop (win98se), but obviously able to
> "surf", hence I may obtain help this route.
> I have no CD writer in laptop but have a cd rom drive & floppy drive.
> Hope I have explained my dilema ok???
> Tel

And the reason you cannot change the BIOS settings to boot from the CD drive
is...?
June 29, 2005 3:28:00 PM

with xp you do not install from dos, change your bios to boot from cd, place
xp cd in drawer, boot pc when it boots from the cd follow the instructions
--
there are no problems, just challenges

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> tel wrote:
> > Nervously I have decided to install Win XP Home on my single desktop,
> > which had win98se on.
> > I wish to do a clean install.
> > I have done FDIDISK, rebooted & FORMATTED H/D by "Format c: /s"
> > method, after remove old partitions.....that's how I installed 98se
> > previously.
> > I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on
> > the XP CD from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy
> > drive.
> > Currently when I reboot without the floppy in the screen shows dos the
> > prompt, but unable to access any other drive....The directory of c:
> > prompt shows "command com" 1 file(s).
> > I am posting here now using my laptop (win98se), but obviously able to
> > "surf", hence I may obtain help this route.
> > I have no CD writer in laptop but have a cd rom drive & floppy drive.
> > Hope I have explained my dilema ok???
> > Tel
>
> And the reason you cannot change the BIOS settings to boot from the CD drive
> is...?

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:09:03 PM

tel wrote:

> I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on the XP CD
> from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy drive.

You cant run a windows file from dos. Go the the i386 folder on the cd
and run the dos setup program, aka winnt.exe

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
June 29, 2005 6:10:46 PM

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote

> I seriously doubt a 98SE computer will update to XP.
> --
> Ron Sommer

Horsepucky. I have an HP Pavilion that sports an AMD 800 Mhz with 256MB RAM
that came with 98SE preinstalled on it and XP works wonderfully on it. Not
only that, XP had the all the drivers.

BTW, there is no such thing as a "98SE computer".

Alias

> "tel" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 9ts57$a60$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Nervously I have decided to install Win XP Home on my single desktop,
>> which
>> had win98se on.
>> I wish to do a clean install.
>> I have done FDIDISK, rebooted & FORMATTED H/D by "Format c: /s" method,
>> after remove old partitions.....that's how I installed 98se previously.
>> I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on the XP
>> CD
>> from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy drive.
>> Currently when I reboot without the floppy in the screen shows dos the
>> prompt, but unable to access any other drive....The directory of c:
>> prompt
>> shows "command com" 1 file(s).
>> I am posting here now using my laptop (win98se), but obviously able to
>> "surf", hence I may obtain help this route.
>> I have no CD writer in laptop but have a cd rom drive & floppy drive.
>> Hope I have explained my dilema ok???
>> Tel

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:10:47 PM

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote
>

>> I seriously doubt a 98SE computer will update to XP.
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>
> Horsepucky. I have an HP Pavilion that sports an AMD 800 Mhz with 256MB
> RAM that came with 98SE preinstalled on it and XP works wonderfully on it.
> Not only that, XP had the all the drivers.
>
> BTW, there is no such thing as a "98SE computer".
>
> Alias
Glad that you had the right hardware to upgrade.
--
Ron Sommer
Anonymous

Alias wrote:

> > I seriously doubt a 98SE computer will update to XP.
>
> Horsepucky. I have an HP Pavilion that sports an AMD 800 Mhz with 256MB RAM
> that came with 98SE preinstalled on it and XP works wonderfully on it. Not
> only that, XP had the all the drivers.

That is one good thing about big brand pcs ie XP will usually have the
drivers for the older big brand systems.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:18:00 PM

tel wrote:
> Nervously I have decided to install Win XP Home on my single desktop, which
> had win98se on.
> I wish to do a clean install.
> I have done FDIDISK, rebooted & FORMATTED H/D by "Format c: /s" method,
> after remove old partitions.....that's how I installed 98se previously.
> I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on the XP CD
> from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy drive.
> Currently when I reboot without the floppy in the screen shows dos the
> prompt, but unable to access any other drive....The directory of c: prompt
> shows "command com" 1 file(s).
> I am posting here now using my laptop (win98se), but obviously able to
> "surf", hence I may obtain help this route.
> I have no CD writer in laptop but have a cd rom drive & floppy drive.
> Hope I have explained my dilema ok???
> Tel

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
June 30, 2005 4:00:36 AM

Thank you ALL
I ended up doing a Clean re-install of Win98SE, then upgraded to XP Pro
OKKKKKKK.
Pleased I "went for it now"......
Tel
"tel" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 9ts57$a60$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Nervously I have decided to install Win XP Home on my single desktop,
which
> had win98se on.
> I wish to do a clean install.
> I have done FDIDISK, rebooted & FORMATTED H/D by "Format c: /s" method,
> after remove old partitions.....that's how I installed 98se previously.
> I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on the XP
CD
> from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy drive.
> Currently when I reboot without the floppy in the screen shows dos the
> prompt, but unable to access any other drive....The directory of c: prompt
> shows "command com" 1 file(s).
> I am posting here now using my laptop (win98se), but obviously able to
> "surf", hence I may obtain help this route.
> I have no CD writer in laptop but have a cd rom drive & floppy drive.
> Hope I have explained my dilema ok???
> Tel

July 2, 2005 7:59:17 PM

How about "did you know that you can change your boot order in the BIOS"?
That would be a HELPFUL answer, but that escapes a lowly troll like
yourself, doesnt it?

> tel wrote:
>> Nervously I have decided to install Win XP Home on my single desktop,
>> which had win98se on.
>> I wish to do a clean install.
>> I have done FDIDISK, rebooted & FORMATTED H/D by "Format c: /s"
>> method, after remove old partitions.....that's how I installed 98se
>> previously.
>> I beleive I have made a big mistake as I am unable to run SETUP on
>> the XP CD from dos!!!!!...I have rebooted to "cd support" on floppy
>> drive.
>> Currently when I reboot without the floppy in the screen shows dos the
>> prompt, but unable to access any other drive....The directory of c:
>> prompt shows "command com" 1 file(s).
>> I am posting here now using my laptop (win98se), but obviously able to
>> "surf", hence I may obtain help this route.
>> I have no CD writer in laptop but have a cd rom drive & floppy drive.
>> Hope I have explained my dilema ok???
>> Tel
>
> And the reason you cannot change the BIOS settings to boot from the CD
> drive is...?

July 4, 2005 2:44:17 PM

Scum reply
news:o ZJwHC0fFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...