Point conversion from 3rd edition to 4th edition.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

My group is finally going to give 4th edition a try, and I'm going to
be the GM. My plan is to run a Supers campaign based loosely on the
Wildcard series for a limited run campaign (say, 10-12 sessions, just
to get the feel of the game).

Looking over the rules, it seems like maybe 4th edition characters are
more expensive characterpointwise, if for no other reason than that
stats are more expensive. Is that true, or does the addition of
talents and so on make up for the lower stat scores to the extent that
it's a wash? Is a 100 point 3rd edition character about equivelent in
power to a 100 point 4th edition character? Or do I need to give out
more points to get the same power levels?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On 12 Apr 2005 12:36:44 -0700, "Scooter the Mighty"
<Greyguy3@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My group is finally going to give 4th edition a try, and I'm going to
>be the GM. My plan is to run a Supers campaign based loosely on the
>Wildcard series for a limited run campaign (say, 10-12 sessions, just
>to get the feel of the game).
>
>Looking over the rules, it seems like maybe 4th edition characters are
>more expensive characterpointwise, if for no other reason than that
>stats are more expensive. Is that true, or does the addition of
>talents and so on make up for the lower stat scores to the extent that
>it's a wash? Is a 100 point 3rd edition character about equivelent in
>power to a 100 point 4th edition character? Or do I need to give out
>more points to get the same power levels?

I really wouldn't worry about it. Consider, strength is less
expensive at lower levels, more expensive at higher levels.
But then again strength is more valuable at higher levels because it
gives you hit points. And what about Lifting Strength? DR is less
expensive. Dexterity is more expensive at lower levels, but less
expensive at higher levels. Physical skills are less expensive.
Intellectual skills are more expensive. In short, it's impossible to
guess. After all, the actual combat effectiveness of a 1,000 point
GURPS character was wildly variable anyway.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Scooter the Mighty <Greyguy3@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Looking over the rules, it seems like maybe 4th edition characters are
> more expensive characterpointwise, if for no other reason than that
> stats are more expensive. Is that true, or does the addition of
> talents and so on make up for the lower stat scores to the extent that
> it's a wash? Is a 100 point 3rd edition character about equivelent in
> power to a 100 point 4th edition character? Or do I need to give out
> more points to get the same power levels?

It depends. A min-maxed 3rd edition character would be a lot more
expensive if converted directly to 4th edition. A min-maxed 4th
edition character might be slightly more expensive when converted
to 3rd. The biggest difference is that 3rd edition gave lots of
opportunities for min-maxing, while 4th edition is a lot more
balanced. If you want characters as competent as min-maxed 100 pt
3rd edition characters, you'd need at least 150 pts in 4th. On the
other hand, characters with more ST and HT than DX and IQ and mostly
physical skills may actually turn out to be cheaper. Clever use of
talents can also save points. At higher power levels the difference
may be less big, as attribute costs are linear in 4th, while the cost
of high attributes goes up in 3rd.

mcv.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On 12 Apr 2005 12:36:44 -0700, "Scooter the Mighty"
<Greyguy3@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]
>Looking over the rules, it seems like maybe 4th edition characters are
>more expensive characterpointwise, if for no other reason than that
>stats are more expensive. Is that true, or does the addition of
>talents and so on make up for the lower stat scores to the extent that
>it's a wash? Is a 100 point 3rd edition character about equivelent in
>power to a 100 point 4th edition character? Or do I need to give out
>more points to get the same power levels?

IMO: converting a 100 point 3rd ed. PC needs more or less 150-175 4th
ed. points.

If you are converting PC with much more points, any measure is
meaningless. Attack powers are WAY cheaper, psionic is WAY more
expensive (it was enough time! Psionics with 70 points of power were
awesome!), as well powers in general.

If you had 400-point PC in 3rd edition, is is safe to assume your
player will have to rebuild them from scratch, and with 500 4th ed.
points they should go fine.

Prepare to all the lamentation about more expensive powers. :( Players
are always complaining when you change game system.

Korin Duval

--

"Truth requires a great amount of courage;
Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."