Halo-style power armor campaign

Last response: in Video Games
April 16, 2005 12:15:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I'm interested in doing a Halo style campaign where the PCs would be
enhanced bioengineered, cyber enhanced power armored soldiers. I'm not
looking for a straight port of Halo (for copy right reasons etc.), just with
similar (*not* identical) weapons and vehicles. The combat should be a bit
more survivable as this is an RPG and I'd tend towards a semi-cinematic
style. As much as possible I want to utilize "off-the-shelf" GURPS
equipment.

Some parameters:

Power armor protection comes in two forms -- Energy shields surrounding each
suit and the DR provided by the physical armor built into the suit. The
energy shields for simplicities sake would have 5 levels of energy
protection and would regenerate one level every second provided there is no
attack on the shield during the regeneration of the shield. Once shields
are down entirely (or if damage exceeds the shield current protection level)
damage would be applied to the DR of the suit with anything left going to
damage the soldier.

Weapons need to be mainly slug throwers ( a combat pistol, advanced combat
rifle, SMG, sniper rifle, etc.) with some energy weapons (lasers and
blasters). The weapons need to be fairly well balanced against each other
with strenths and weakness for each weapon. Unlike Halo, sniper rifles
would *not* be limited to a four round magazine, so they'd need to balance
in other ways.

Vehicles should be similar to Halo's with humans having a jeep, a tank, an
ATV (doesn't occur in Halo, but was widely experimented with and previewed),
along with say a hover craft (to allow for land/water transport).

Please post suggestions on equipment and scenarios. I have LOTS of GURPS
3rd edition books, including Space, Aliens, Space Adventures, and Space
Atlas 1 (unnumbered) and Space Atlas 4.

Jim Duncan (griffin)
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:31:04 AM

James Duncan wrote:

> I'm interested in doing a Halo style campaign where the PCs would be
> enhanced bioengineered, cyber enhanced power armored soldiers. I'm not
> looking for a straight port of Halo (for copy right reasons etc.), just with
> similar (*not* identical) weapons and vehicles. The combat should be a bit
> more survivable as this is an RPG and I'd tend towards a semi-cinematic
> style. As much as possible I want to utilize "off-the-shelf" GURPS
> equipment.

About the copyright thing: As long as you dont sell anything, you can
use it. There's no reason for Bungie or Microsoft to sue you if you do a
free Halo RPG game. For them, it's free publicity! My personal rule
about it is simple; if you like it, steal it!

If you realy want to do a "Halo-Like" game, i suggest you read the book
"The Fall Of Reach". You got all the backround of Halo in that book. The
GURPS Warrior book is also a good reading.

> Some parameters:
>
> Power armor protection comes in two forms -- Energy shields surrounding each
> suit and the DR provided by the physical armor built into the suit. The
> energy shields for simplicities sake would have 5 levels of energy
> protection and would regenerate one level every second provided there is no
> attack on the shield during the regeneration of the shield. Once shields
> are down entirely (or if damage exceeds the shield current protection level)
> damage would be applied to the DR of the suit with anything left going to
> damage the soldier.

There's many ways to do this:

-The simple one. What you describe me is a TL-10 Powered Combat Armor
with a Neural-Interface Implant and a TL-13 Force Screen.

-The form-fitting option. Grab a copy of GURPS vehicles or GURPS Mecha
and build a battlesuit from scratch. I saw some great results from the
GURPS Vehicles First Edition in that domain.

-Super Galore. Make the powersuits with the GURPS Super rules. You can
build some great powersuits with ease by using the gadgettering rules.

-The magic act. Put some stats together, put a name on it and *POOF*,
it's there.

For the enhancement the Spartans got during their training, You just
have to create a racial template using GURPS Compendium I, Supers and
Bio-Tech. It will be enough to simulate the Bio-Cyber enhancement.

> Weapons need to be mainly slug throwers ( a combat pistol, advanced combat
> rifle, SMG, sniper rifle, etc.) with some energy weapons (lasers and
> blasters). The weapons need to be fairly well balanced against each other
> with strenths and weakness for each weapon. Unlike Halo, sniper rifles
> would *not* be limited to a four round magazine, so they'd need to balance
> in other ways.

For the guns, i suggest the "Hollywood Cool Gun" trick.

Look at guns in Sci-Fi shows. Han Solo's "Blaster" in Star-Wars is only
a century-old Mauser painted jet-black and some extra metal pieces. In
"Aliens", the Space-Marine's standart assault rifle is a M-16 with a
bigger clip and a ammo counter. The big gyro-mounted machinegun in the
same movie is a World War II relica rewarped for the movie.

How to turn a TL-7 weapon into a TL-8 weapon? You:

Take the Malfunction Factor to "Ver",
Raise the accuracy by one or two,
Drop the snapshot number by one or two and
put a new name on it. Simple!

If you need more damage, use the TL-9 rules about explosive ammo.

You can do this with almost any TL-7 gun in GURPS. Little things like
ammo can be easily added at your wish. You own the game, remember? :)

> Vehicles should be similar to Halo's with humans having a jeep, a tank, an
> ATV (doesn't occur in Halo, but was widely experimented with and previewed),
> along with say a hover craft (to allow for land/water transport).

If you don't need the stats, you just have to copy the info about a
Hummer and call it a Warthog. If you need the stats, GURPS Vehicles is
there for that.

> Please post suggestions on equipment and scenarios. I have LOTS of GURPS
> 3rd edition books, including Space, Aliens, Space Adventures, and Space
> Atlas 1 (unnumbered) and Space Atlas 4.
>
> Jim Duncan (griffin)

For the plots and scenarios, feel free to steal idea everywhere. The
game "Halo" is a nice begining but there's tons of books and movied you
can take on. An example? The movie "Saving Private Ryan". Let's
translate it in a intergalactic future: Your squad of Power-Armor
troopers got as mission to follow the invasion of a planet to remove
from the front line a simple Marine that need to be shipped home ASAP.
If that story is a blockbuster in cinemas, it can be the case in your game.

-Toubrouk
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:31:27 PM

"Toubrouk" <Toubrouk@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> James Duncan wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in doing a Halo style campaign where the PCs would be
>> enhanced bioengineered, cyber enhanced power armored soldiers. I'm not
>> looking for a straight port of Halo (for copy right reasons etc.), just
>> with

> About the copyright thing: As long as you dont sell anything, you can use
> it. There's no reason for Bungie or Microsoft to sue you if you do a free
> Halo RPG game. For them, it's free publicity! My personal rule about it is
> simple; if you like it, steal it!

That is incorrect. You also can NOT post to the net. I could not for
instance post GURPS Halo on a website, regardless of whether or not I sold
it. Do a web search. You'd think you'd find GURPS Halo due to the
popularity of the GURPS system and the Halo videogames. However, that is
not the case due to threatened litigation by Microsoft. Microsoft owns the
intellectual property and has the right to manage it. Microsoft could
always do a future pen-and-paper RPG based on Halo, and the existence of a
freely available game on the net could infringe upon sales of such a
commercially available product.

Regardless, I find Halo a bit limited and although it will be a primary
inspiration for my game, I plan on using a lot of other material as well
which will not be restricted to stuff from Halo.

> If you realy want to do a "Halo-Like" game, i suggest you read the book
> "The Fall Of Reach". You got all the backround of Halo in that book. The
> GURPS Warrior book is also a good reading.

I will eventually get the Halo trilogy of books, but at the moment I lack
the time to read them -- too many other priorities on my to do list.

>> Some parameters:
>>
>> Power armor protection comes in two forms -- Energy shields surrounding
>> each
>> suit and the DR provided by the physical armor built into the suit. The

> There's many ways to do this:
>
> -The simple one. What you describe me is a TL-10 Powered Combat Armor with
> a Neural-Interface Implant and a TL-13 Force Screen.

I'll take a look at this.

> -The form-fitting option. Grab a copy of GURPS vehicles or GURPS Mecha and
> build a battlesuit from scratch. I saw some great results from the GURPS
> Vehicles First Edition in that domain.

I really don't care much for the overly mechanized design rules of GURPS
Vehicles and GURPS Mecha. I'm also trying to do this based on GURPS 4th
edition rules and Vehicles and Mecha haven't caught up yet.

> -Super Galore. Make the powersuits with the GURPS Super rules. You can
> build some great powersuits with ease by using the gadgettering rules.
Until Powers comes out that's not a really good option.

> -The magic act. Put some stats together, put a name on it and *POOF*, it's
> there.

That's pretty much the option I'm going with. I'll start with armor that is
listed in Ultra-Tech or Space and base it off that but just adapt my own
numbers to fit the concept.

> For the enhancement the Spartans got during their training, You just have
> to create a racial template using GURPS Compendium I, Supers and Bio-Tech.
> It will be enough to simulate the Bio-Cyber enhancement.

I'm not looking to be totally faithful to Halo, so I'm not concerned with
getting this 100% accurate. Do you have any suggestions on details here?

>> Weapons need to be mainly slug throwers ( a combat pistol, advanced
>> combat
>> rifle, SMG, sniper rifle, etc.) with some energy weapons (lasers and

> For the guns, i suggest the "Hollywood Cool Gun" trick.
>
> Look at guns in Sci-Fi shows. Han Solo's "Blaster" in Star-Wars is only a
> century-old Mauser painted jet-black and some extra metal pieces. In
> "Aliens", the Space-Marine's standart assault rifle is a M-16 with a
> bigger clip and a ammo counter. The big gyro-mounted machinegun in the
> same movie is a World War II relica rewarped for the movie.

While that describes the way the guns look, I don't think it accurately
depicts their functioning. However, many of the Halo weapons are just
updates on todays technology (and in the case of some items, like the sniper
rifle, they are downgrades - that gun is pretty much a Barrett Light 50
caliber with a futuristic scope and a limited ammo clip).

> How to turn a TL-7 weapon into a TL-8 weapon? You:
>
> Take the Malfunction Factor to "Ver",
> Raise the accuracy by one or two,
> Drop the snapshot number by one or two and
> put a new name on it. Simple!
>
> If you need more damage, use the TL-9 rules about explosive ammo.

See earlier items in the thread. I've already done this for a number of
weapons. Of course, I need to use GuRPS 4th edition compatible weapons.
Hence, the weapons listed in 4th edition will be used whenever possioble.

>> Vehicles should be similar to Halo's with humans having a jeep, a tank,
>> an
>> ATV (doesn't occur in Halo, but was widely experimented with and
>> previewed),
>> along with say a hover craft (to allow for land/water transport).
>
> If you don't need the stats, you just have to copy the info about a Hummer
> and call it a Warthog. If you need the stats, GURPS Vehicles is there for
> that.

I need fairly light stats. Warthog's are very unlike Hummers. They are
much smaller and more like dune buggies.

>> Jim Duncan (griffin)
>
> For the plots and scenarios, feel free to steal idea everywhere. The game
> "Halo" is a nice begining but there's tons of books and movied you can
> take on. An example? The movie "Saving Private Ryan". Let's translate it
> in a intergalactic future: Your squad of Power-Armor troopers got as
> mission to follow the invasion of a planet to remove from the front line a
> simple Marine that need to be shipped home ASAP. If that story is a
> blockbuster in cinemas, it can be the case in your game.

While "Saving Private Ryan" was a great movie, based on a true story, I
definitely wouldn't want to game it, especially not in this powered armor
campaign. Any other suggestions? I think I might look at the Navy Seals
movie for inspiration.

Thanks for the comments.

> -Toubrouk

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 7:11:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

In article <wDDCe.575$Qi4.121643@news20.bellglobal.com>,
Toubrouk <Toubrouk@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>James Duncan wrote:

>bigger clip and a ammo counter. The big gyro-mounted machinegun in the
>same movie is a World War II relica rewarped for the movie.

I was told the mount is a Steadi-Cam(?) which stabilizes a video camera so
the camera man can walk around without getting a picture that bounces
around.

--
Irony: "Small businesses want relief from the flood of spam clogging their
in-boxes, but they fear a proposed national 'Do Not Spam' registry will

James Duncan wrote:
> "Toubrouk" <Toubrouk@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>

>>James Duncan wrote:
>>

>>>I'm interested in doing a Halo style campaign where the PCs would be
>>>enhanced bioengineered, cyber enhanced power armored soldiers. I'm not
>>>looking for a straight port of Halo (for copy right reasons etc.), just
>>>with

>>About the copyright thing: As long as you dont sell anything, you can use
>>it. There's no reason for Bungie or Microsoft to sue you if you do a free
>>Halo RPG game. For them, it's free publicity! My personal rule about it is
>>simple; if you like it, steal it!
>

> That is incorrect. You also can NOT post to the net. I could not for
> instance post GURPS Halo on a website, regardless of whether or not I sold
> it. Do a web search. You'd think you'd find GURPS Halo due to the
> popularity of the GURPS system and the Halo videogames. However, that is
> not the case due to threatened litigation by Microsoft. Microsoft owns the
> intellectual property and has the right to manage it. Microsoft could
> always do a future pen-and-paper RPG based on Halo, and the existence of a
> freely available game on the net could infringe upon sales of such a
> commercially available product.

On this, i believe you are wrong. Yes, there's was a project for a GURPS
Halo that goes kaput because the writters used pictures of the actual
videogame without securing a licence.

If you use new, non-official material only and don't sell it, i don't
see the problem. Do you want an example? The Website Derelict Studios is
working on a MOD for "Command and Conquer - Generals" using a Halo
theme. You can see it there:
http://www.derelictstudios.net/site/halo/index.php

Look at the teaser, it's really cool!

Or you can look at the Web-Show "Red Vs. Blue". They use the engine of
Halo to make their shows.
http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/home.php

Another Halo-related site:
http://www.studio-grey.com/halo/

The bottom line is, do you really believe that a lawyer from Microsoft
will show-up at your game to force you to not play an homegrown GURPS
Halo game? I don't think so.

> Regardless, I find Halo a bit limited and although it will be a primary
> inspiration for my game, I plan on using a lot of other material as well
> which will not be restricted to stuff from Halo.

Let's see it that way; the story behind Halo is 20 years old. The
videogame could be nicknamed "Three months in the life of a Spartan".
Tons of stuff have been set aside. I plan of running a game in the world
of Halo. it will be the story of a squad of marines. By itself, it can
be a trill. A single Elite can be a challenge for the group.

>>If you realy want to do a "Halo-Like" game, i suggest you read the book
>>"The Fall Of Reach". You got all the backround of Halo in that book. The
>>GURPS Warrior book is also a good reading.
>

> I will eventually get the Halo trilogy of books, but at the moment I lack
> the time to read them -- too many other priorities on my to do list.

Sad. It's a great book.
I suggest you also read "The Forever War" from John Haldeman.

>>For the enhancement the Spartans got during their training, You just have
>>to create a racial template using GURPS Compendium I, Supers and Bio-Tech.
>>It will be enough to simulate the Bio-Cyber enhancement.
>

> I'm not looking to be totally faithful to Halo, so I'm not concerned with
> getting this 100% accurate. Do you have any suggestions on details here?

The truth is that the Bio-Cyber enhancement is only a gimmik to explain
why all the marines in the game are not equiped with power armor.

The Mjolnir armor is a 500 kg machine that got reflexes too fast for an
un-auguemented human to follow. Anybody who tried to do it ended-up with
broken limbs in a nick of time. The "Spartan" package is something like
Capitan America's Supersoldier serum and Wolverine's metalic skeleton.
You got a muscular and skeletal re-inforcement, reflex boost, a new
tyroid gland, a rebuilded retina and an implant to drive the suit.

In GURPS terms you can say things like a boost of ST , DX and a list of
advantages like Alertness, Very Fit, Reduced Sleep, Night Vision, some
levels of Hard to Kill, Hyper-Reflexes, Hyper-Strenght and so on. If it
can keep an soldier on a battlefield, there's no reason why they can
keep it there.

>>>Vehicles should be similar to Halo's with humans having a jeep, a tank,
>>>an
>>>ATV (doesn't occur in Halo, but was widely experimented with and
>>>previewed),
>>>along with say a hover craft (to allow for land/water transport).
>>
>>If you don't need the stats, you just have to copy the info about a Hummer
>>and call it a Warthog. If you need the stats, GURPS Vehicles is there for
>>that.
>

> I need fairly light stats. Warthog's are very unlike Hummers. They are
> much smaller and more like dune buggies.

The idea here is the same. Do the caracters need the stats? If yes, you
will need to build it with GURPS Vehicles. If not, who cares? You just
have to get the info on a regular vehicle and change the name and the art.

>>For the plots and scenarios, feel free to steal idea everywhere. The game
>>"Halo" is a nice begining but there's tons of books and movied you can
>>take on. An example? The movie "Saving Private Ryan". Let's translate it
>>in a intergalactic future: Your squad of Power-Armor troopers got as
>>mission to follow the invasion of a planet to remove from the front line a
>>simple Marine that need to be shipped home ASAP. If that story is a
>>blockbuster in cinemas, it can be the case in your game.
>

> While "Saving Private Ryan" was a great movie, based on a true story, I
> definitely wouldn't want to game it, especially not in this powered armor
> campaign. Any other suggestions? I think I might look at the Navy Seals
> movie for inspiration.
>
> Thanks for the comments.

The movie "Navy Seals" is a good idea. Maybe it would be good for you to
secure a copy of GURPS Special Ops. It's a well written book that could
give you real insights into the world of special ops.

Any movie about war or special ops can be used as backround material.
History can also be used. The assault of Eben Emael in 1940 or the
Trojan Horse are great military actions that very few know all the
details. It can be a endless source of material.

You can also steal from any other movie you saw on TV. An example:
Star-Wars! Remplace Jedi by Spartan, Force by Bio-Cyber enhancement,
Lightsaber by Mjolnir and Empire by Covenant and you got a whole new world!
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:35:57 PM

Gregory L. Hansen wrote:
> In article <wDDCe.575$Qi4.121643@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> Toubrouk <Toubrouk@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>James Duncan wrote:
>

>>bigger clip and a ammo counter. The big gyro-mounted machinegun in the
>>same movie is a World War II relica rewarped for the movie.
>

> I was told the mount is a Steadi-Cam(?) which stabilizes a video camera so
> the camera man can walk around without getting a picture that bounces
> around.

I don't remember the details, but it must have been that.
This is the magic of Hollywood; a vintage gun from WWII and a Steady-Cam
mount made one of the coolest guns in movie history (In my humble opinion).
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:54:32 PM

> James Duncan wrote:
>> "Toubrouk" <Toubrouk@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

>>>About the copyright thing: As long as you dont sell anything, you can use
>>>it. There's no reason for Bungie or Microsoft to sue you if you do a free
>>>Halo RPG game. For them, it's free publicity! My personal rule about it
>>>is simple; if you like it, steal it!

I don't believe in stepping on other peoples copyrights (even if it's the
evil empire ;-) ). If it were just a matter of personal use there would be
no problem. However, I'd like to be able to publically post the rules on
the web. I'd also like to be able to run the game at a convention or two.
There is certainly nothing wrong with someone doing the RPG stats for
personal use.

>> That is incorrect. You also can NOT post to the net. I could not for
>> instance post GURPS Halo on a website, regardless of whether or not I
>> sold it. Do a web search. You'd think you'd find GURPS Halo due to the
>> popularity of the GURPS system and the Halo videogames. However, that is
>> not the case due to threatened litigation by Microsoft. Microsoft owns
>> the intellectual property and has the right to manage it. Microsoft
>> could always do a future pen-and-paper RPG based on Halo, and the
>> existence of a freely available game on the net could infringe upon sales
>> of such a commercially available product.
>
> On this, i believe you are wrong. Yes, there's was a project for a GURPS
> Halo that goes kaput because the writters used pictures of the actual
> videogame without securing a licence.

I don't believe it's just a matter of pictures. If you post stats, that
could also get you in trouble.

> If you use new, non-official material only and don't sell it, i don't see
> the problem. Do you want an example? The Website Derelict Studios is
> working on a MOD for "Command and Conquer - Generals" using a Halo theme.
> You can see it there:
> http://www.derelictstudios.net/site/halo/index.php

All this says is they haven't been caught and they have yet to be challenged
by Microsofts lawyers. On the other hand, they haven't asked and the
project doesn't appear to be complete.

> Or you can look at the Web-Show "Red Vs. Blue". They use the engine of
> Halo to make their shows.
> http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/home.php

This is good publicity for Halo. It doesn't compete with anything. An RPG
could easily be released for Halo, probably using D20.

> Another Halo-related site:
> http://www.studio-grey.com/halo/
>
> The bottom line is, do you really believe that a lawyer from Microsoft
> will show-up at your game to force you to not play an homegrown GURPS Halo
> game? I don't think so.

No, but they could keep me from posting the rules on the web (more likely,
they'd just force them to be removed if I posted them, not that I have
anything to post).

>> Regardless, I find Halo a bit limited and although it will be a primary
>> inspiration for my game, I plan on using a lot of other material as well
>> which will not be restricted to stuff from Halo.
>
> Let's see it that way; the story behind Halo is 20 years old. The
> videogame could be nicknamed "Three months in the life of a Spartan". Tons
> of stuff have been set aside. I plan of running a game in the world of
> Halo. it will be the story of a squad of marines. By itself, it can be a
> trill. A single Elite can be a challenge for the group.

If you write up the rules please post them (or at least send me a copy)

>>>If you realy want to do a "Halo-Like" game, i suggest you read the book
>>>"The Fall Of Reach". You got all the backround of Halo in that book. The
>>>GURPS Warrior book is also a good reading.
>>

>> I will eventually get the Halo trilogy of books, but at the moment I lack
>> the time to read them -- too many other priorities on my to do list.
>
> Sad. It's a great book.
> I suggest you also read "The Forever War" from John Haldeman.

I read that one several years ago.

>>>For the enhancement the Spartans got during their training, You just have
>>>to create a racial template using GURPS Compendium I, Supers and
>>>Bio-Tech. It will be enough to simulate the Bio-Cyber enhancement.
>>

>> I'm not looking to be totally faithful to Halo, so I'm not concerned with
>> getting this 100% accurate. Do you have any suggestions on details here?
>
> The truth is that the Bio-Cyber enhancement is only a gimmik to explain
> why all the marines in the game are not equiped with power armor.
>
> The Mjolnir armor is a 500 kg machine that got reflexes too fast for an
> un-auguemented human to follow. Anybody who tried to do it ended-up with
> broken limbs in a nick of time. The "Spartan" package is something like
> Capitan America's Supersoldier serum and Wolverine's metalic skeleton. You
> got a muscular and skeletal re-inforcement, reflex boost, a new tyroid
> gland, a rebuilded retina and an implant to drive the suit.
>
> In GURPS terms you can say things like a boost of ST , DX and a list of
> advantages like Alertness, Very Fit, Reduced Sleep, Night Vision, some
> levels of Hard to Kill, Hyper-Reflexes, Hyper-Strenght and so on. If it
> can keep an soldier on a battlefield, there's no reason why they can keep
> it there.

What range would be for ST and DX? What would the template look like for
these?

>> I need fairly light stats. Warthog's are very unlike Hummers. They are
>> much smaller and more like dune buggies.
>
> The idea here is the same. Do the caracters need the stats? If yes, you
> will need to build it with GURPS Vehicles. If not, who cares? You just
> have to get the info on a regular vehicle and change the name and the art.

Yes, stats are needed, but fairly light ones. Yes, that's what I will do
regarding the vehicles.

>>>For the plots and scenarios, feel free to steal idea everywhere. The game
>>>"Halo" is a nice begining but there's tons of books and movied you can
>>>take on. An example? The movie "Saving Private Ryan". Let's translate it
>>>in a intergalactic future: Your squad of Power-Armor troopers got as
>>>mission to follow the invasion of a planet to remove from the front line
>>>a simple Marine that need to be shipped home ASAP. If that story is a
>>>blockbuster in cinemas, it can be the case in your game.
>>

>> While "Saving Private Ryan" was a great movie, based on a true story, I
>> definitely wouldn't want to game it, especially not in this powered armor
>> campaign. Any other suggestions? I think I might look at the Navy Seals
>> movie for inspiration.
>>
>> Thanks for the comments.
>
> The movie "Navy Seals" is a good idea. Maybe it would be good for you to
> secure a copy of GURPS Special Ops. It's a well written book that could
> give you real insights into the world of special ops.

I have it as well as tons of other GURPS books. I have GURPS Traveller:
Star Mercs also.

> You can also steal from any other movie you saw on TV. An example:
> Star-Wars! Remplace Jedi by Spartan, Force by Bio-Cyber enhancement,
> Lightsaber by Mjolnir and Empire by Covenant and you got a whole new
> world!

Star Wars is a bit too space operaish for the campaign I have in mind. But
yes, I understand where you are coming from.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:54:33 PM

James Duncan wrote:
> I don't believe in stepping on other peoples copyrights (even if it's the
> evil empire ;-) ). If it were just a matter of personal use there would be
> no problem. However, I'd like to be able to publically post the rules on
> the web. I'd also like to be able to run the game at a convention or two.
> There is certainly nothing wrong with someone doing the RPG stats for
> personal use.

Hey, If you want to keep it on the safe side, please do.
Nobody want to get into legal trouble here anyway.

>>Let's see it that way; the story behind Halo is 20 years old. The
>>videogame could be nicknamed "Three months in the life of a Spartan". Tons
>>of stuff have been set aside. I plan of running a game in the world of
>>Halo. it will be the story of a squad of marines. By itself, it can be a
>>trill. A single Elite can be a challenge for the group.
>

> If you write up the rules please post them (or at least send me a copy)

I will keep you informed.
I just believe that i will use Ultra-Tech' TL-8 material with some
"Halo-esque" upgrades. I also plan to use the magic option for the
Covenant troops. I will keep you informed.

>>>I'm not looking to be totally faithful to Halo, so I'm not concerned with
>>>getting this 100% accurate. Do you have any suggestions on details here?
>>
>>The truth is that the Bio-Cyber enhancement is only a gimmik to explain
>>why all the marines in the game are not equiped with power armor.
>>
>>The Mjolnir armor is a 500 kg machine that got reflexes too fast for an
>>un-auguemented human to follow. Anybody who tried to do it ended-up with
>>broken limbs in a nick of time. The "Spartan" package is something like
>>Capitan America's Supersoldier serum and Wolverine's metalic skeleton. You
>>got a muscular and skeletal re-inforcement, reflex boost, a new tyroid
>>gland, a rebuilded retina and an implant to drive the suit.
>>
>>In GURPS terms you can say things like a boost of ST , DX and a list of
>>advantages like Alertness, Very Fit, Reduced Sleep, Night Vision, some
>>levels of Hard to Kill, Hyper-Reflexes, Hyper-Strenght and so on. If it
>>can keep an soldier on a battlefield, there's no reason why they can keep
>>it there.
>

> What range would be for ST and DX? What would the template look like for
> these?

Here's the pointers: The spartan project started with 75 six years-old
children selected out of a pool of billions individuals. In that lot, 65
survived to reach the age of 14. This is 8 years of non-stop training.
the main caracter, John 117, was described as "An 18 years-old olympic
athlete in his prime". this is before the Bio-Chemical boost.

The boost itself killed a third of the subjects and crippled another
third. Only 23 Spartans survived the treatement with optimal results.
The ones crippled by the treatment left the spartan project to serve as
military advisors and the like.

My estimate for a "Pre-Boost" Spartan would be something like:

ST:14
IQ:13
DX:17
HT:15

Advantages: Allertness, Combat Reflexes, Danger Sense, Fit, High Pain
Thresshold, Strong-Will, Unfazeable and 3-4 levels of a "Military
Science" Talent.

Disavantages: Hazardous Duty, Sens of Duty (teammates and Marines), Code
of Honor, Fanaticism and Sterile.

Two months after the boost, John 117 got into a fight with three
"Helljumpers" (Marine's Elite Force) and won easily (seriously harm-kill
them). This give you an example of the power of the boost; it turned him
nearly into a superhuman. Any advantage that can make a caracter into a
Captain America is welcome: Hyper-Reflexes, Hyper Strengh, Night vision,
Hard to kill and the like. If it fits the idea of a super-trooper, it
should go in. In that point of view, a Spartan is more a Captain America
in Iron Man's armor.

I hope it helps.
April 24, 2009 12:27:20 PM

hey i make alot of paper-and-pen rpgs. so far ive made a spec ops, resident evil, hacking, and working on astreet racing one. im willing to give out the rules for some( NOT FOR SALE, for copyright reasons) and will help if someoone wants some help. If any one wants any help/rules, contact me at: shotgunlead232@gmail.com OR secondneo@gmail.com( i get on the first most often). like i said im willing to help
!