sturm

Splendid
Building new computer for friend and trying to keep cost down. on newegg they have 'PMI' and 'ALL Components' brand memory.
Wont be overclocing at all. anyone use or have any idea if they are any good.

Thanks.

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I have never heard of them, you are on your own. If he/she is a good friend you may want to spend a little more money on memory and get some good stuff. The biggest issue you may have is compatibility. Good luck.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CrucialLabs on 06/25/04 08:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Buy that crap, you roll the dice. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Personally, I would say RAM is not the place to cut corners.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
The cheapest stick of 512 3200 that I recognized the brand and also had decent reviews (on new egg) was a stick of mushkin. I think kingmax and kinston with decent ratings was around the same price (around $78-80). Memory is outrageously expensive now. The cheapest decent looking sticks of 512 are in the $80-100 range as far as I have been able to tell. I saw the crucial labs guy posting so I went to check out crucial. I believe the cheapest stick there was $99 and cas l of 3 not very detailed specs otherwise.

Then I went back to look more at new egg. As I looked up the memory from lowest to highest, the individual sticks of 512 with lower latencies rapidly approach the price where if buying two (2x 512) the matched pairs aren't all that much more than buying two individual sticks of 512. I read comments saying that buying matched pairs is really not necessary. Some write that if you want "matched" pairs just buy two singles at the same time as they should theoretically have been manufactured around the same time and so forth.
I would ask some more questions and see what people recommend for your usage. I am doing the same. Ram is crazy expensive although it has come down just a bit of late. I don't want to spend $50-140 extra if it isn't well worth it in durability and performance. Also, of course, it has to work with what I want to use it with.

sturm

Splendid
going to try the PMI memory. checked web site and some reviews from numerous sights. They've been around since like 1984 and provided memory to Crampaq/Hewlett Crapard !!! and such. Will let you know if I have any problems with it.

TRENDING THREADS