Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 freezing and unfreezing

Last response: in Windows 7
August 29, 2012 3:53:37 AM

For the last two weeks my computer has been freezing and unfreezing after we came back from the cottage. I have tried everything. Ran memtest and harddrive software. The harddrive software failed but does that actually mean it is the harddrive. I ran one for seagate even though mine is WD and I also ran WD software.

My computer freezes no matter what browser I am in and also when I am not surfing. My monitor is also randomly going black recently just a few days and then comes back on right away. It did it just now about ten times and then stopped and is working normally.

My harddrive is a WD caviar 1.5 TB and it seems a lot of people have problems with these green caviar drives but I could be wrong. I do not always believe what I read on the internet.

Sometimes it freezes for a few seconds and sometimes it freezes for a few minutes but it always comes back on. I never get a BSOD. I hardly ever have to hard reset.

I cannot run event viewer because it mentions something about the MMC could not create the snap in. I cannot run hijack this because it says it cannot save a logfile.

I have run a number of different antivirus programs as well as ccleaner and advanced systemcare.

With the monitor going off and on and the freezing what could be causing this.

I am dual booting right now. I had one drive, 200 gigs, with xp installed then I needed more space so I bought a 1.5 TB and installed windows 7 on the new one using the old drive as the master. Now I do not use XP because it has been locking up for the last year. If it is my harddrive that is failing how do I remove xp which is the master drive, keep over 1 TB of data that I need from over the years from the failing drive and install windows 7 fresh.

This is a nightmare. I range from novice to intermediate when it comes to fixing computers so please make it as easy as possible for me.

thanks so much.
August 29, 2012 3:54:20 AM

I also just noticed horizontal lines appearing one at a time on the screen and again it started going black and now it is fine after a few minutes.

Arghhhhh.

thanks

loopylulu said:
For the last two weeks my computer has been freezing and unfreezing after we came back from the cottage. I have tried everything. Ran memtest and harddrive software. The harddrive software failed but does that actually mean it is the harddrive. I ran one for seagate even though mine is WD and I also ran WD software.

My computer freezes no matter what browser I am in and also when I am not surfing. My monitor is also randomly going black recently just a few days and then comes back on right away. It did it just now about ten times and then stopped and is working normally.

My harddrive is a WD caviar 1.5 TB and it seems a lot of people have problems with these green caviar drives but I could be wrong. I do not always believe what I read on the internet.

Sometimes it freezes for a few seconds and sometimes it freezes for a few minutes but it always comes back on. I never get a BSOD. I hardly ever have to hard reset.

I cannot run event viewer because it mentions something about the MMC could not create the snap in. I cannot run hijack this because it says it cannot save a logfile.

I have run a number of different antivirus programs as well as ccleaner and advanced systemcare.

With the monitor going off and on and the freezing what could be causing this.

I am dual booting right now. I had one drive, 200 gigs, with xp installed then I needed more space so I bought a 1.5 TB and installed windows 7 on the new one using the old drive as the master. Now I do not use XP because it has been locking up for the last year. If it is my harddrive that is failing how do I remove xp which is the master drive, keep over 1 TB of data that I need from over the years from the failing drive and install windows 7 fresh.

This is a nightmare. I range from novice to intermediate when it comes to fixing computers so please make it as easy as possible for me.

thanks so much.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 4:00:28 AM

may not be the harddrive if the monitor is turning off it sounds more like a power supply issue. what i would do is boot from a hirem boot cd...on a usb stick it has a min xp boot on the cd. see if it hangs from a clean install of an os. if it reboots or hangs on a new install then it power supply.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 7:34:06 AM

As smorizio says, it could easily be a failing pwr supply. especially now you are having graphics probs. As Hiren's Boot CD is 500mb and you may have difficulty downloading that under present circumstances, it may help to download and install something simple like Speccy http://download.cnet.com/Speccy/3000-2094_4-75181811.ht...
to monitor your voltages and temps.
If you click on Motherboard you should see your voltages, in particular monitor +12V,+5V and +3.3V to see if they dip substantially below that value.
http://prntscr.com/elj3r

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 7:55:32 AM

prime and furmark, hardware monitor tool to see temps

could be a heat/throttling issue, or faulty video card dropping and recovering also

hard drive - try hdtune and do a full surface scan (bad sectors or failing hdd will also cause a system to "hang" -- mouse will usually move tho)

outside chance the keyboard/mouse dropping (or usb port) causing it not not respond?
m
l
!