Can't Get IE Explorer to connect to DSL

I have a DSL connection. When I plug the lan cable in everything looks good.
The icon says "connected." I can even pig successfully from the command
line. Dialup works too. But I can't set up the Broadband connection. I'm
doing it the sane way I have for other computers (from tools>internet
options> setup > then I choose "broadband in the New Connection Wizard.
What's wrong?

--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo
3 answers Last reply
More about explorer connect

    XP "Remembers" how to get to the Internet. If you LAN is active,
    change the option in connections to

    "Dial whenever a Network is not present".
    This tells XP to defer to a live LAN as the preferred access method
    and if it isn't plugged in, then use the Dial-Up connectoid to get on
    the Net.

    Check you LAN/LAC by opening Network Connections and look
    for instances of Local Area Connection.

    "Steve Horrillo" <usenet@stephenhorrillo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a DSL connection. When I plug the lan cable in everything looks
    >good.
    > The icon says "connected." I can even pig successfully from the command
    > line. Dialup works too. But I can't set up the Broadband connection. I'm
    > doing it the sane way I have for other computers (from tools>internet
    > options> setup > then I choose "broadband in the New Connection Wizard.
    > What's wrong?
    >
    > --
    > Warmest regards,
    >
    > Steve Horrillo

    Hi Steve,

    Setting up a Broadband connection you do not have to use the set up. You
    should use the internet options > connections > LAN Settings and it should be
    set to detect proxy settings automatically unless you have spent a couple
    thousand dollars on your own proxy server, which I doubt.

    Also with DSL you have to set up your modem with a username and password so
    that it will connect it is not like a cable connection where you just have to
    see the modem to be connected to the internet. You can access your modem via
    an IP address in the internet explorer address bar but you probably don't
    have its IP address. My advice is to call your DSL Service provider and they
    will walk you through how to do this on the phone, but I hope you're good at
    hearing and understanding because a lot of the support desks are located
    overseas. Good Luck,

    Joe Kemco

    On 29-Jun-2005, "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote:

    > XP "Remembers" how to get to the Internet. If you LAN is active,
    > change the option in connections to
    >
    > "Dial whenever a Network is not present".
    > This tells XP to defer to a live LAN as the preferred access method
    > and if it isn't plugged in, then use the Dial-Up connectoid to get on
    > the Net.
    >
    > Check you LAN/LAC by opening Network Connections and look
    > for instances of Local Area Connection.

    Thanks to eveyone. I got it going!

    --
    Warmest regards,

    Steve Horrillo, Realtor / Trainer / C.Ht.
    http://BrokerAgentTraining.com (Advanced Training for Real Estate
    Professionals)
    http://over100percent.com (See How tRealtors Earn Over 100 Percent at EXIT
    Realty)
    http:/HipFSBO.com (Object to Paying Commission? Find a FSBO Friendly Real
    Estate Professional)
    http://eLOWn.com ("Got a heartbeat?" Get a loan! Credit Repair Library)

Internet Explorer Connection DSL Windows XP