Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
I have been looking for the best memory for the money for the new system I am building to replace my stone age one. I am not a frequent upgrader so I would rather spend an extra $20 than get something which is only have as "good" and have to spend twice as much replacing it.

I have been referred to the anandtech review showing how well the ocz eb stuff performs. However this stuff is mega expensive. It is $300 for 2x 512 of ocz 3500eb and more for the 3700. I may overclock a bit but don't plan on extreme overclocking as I want my system to last. If I get this memory I will probably overclock it just enough to where this memory will start to shine beyond the lower latency, lower speed memory modules tested.

I would like to know from people who have used or tested/reviewed this memory how it worked and how it holds up.

Also what about ocz in general. Will it hold up or is this going to be a finicky formula one race care that runs like greased lightning for a while then breaks down?

I asked a company I wanted to order from (I wanted to give some of my business to some smaller companies not all to new egg as I ended up pretty much doing) why they didn't have the ocz eb and if they could get it and got this reply:
---------------------------
We have sold the OCZ EB
in the past, but we had major problems with it and had to pull it off
the site. If there are comparable alternatives to these product you
would like to discuss, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for
your time and patience. We appreciate your business.
---------------------------

He may have been referring to compatibility problems mostly but I don't know. Any users of ocz around that can give me any input on this?

I was leaning towards corsair c2 which is about $254 but the ocz looks much better. The corsair ultra low latency is even more than the ocz I believe. I think spending this much on ram is a crock but memory seems high all around. The cheapest decent looking single 512 dimms I see on new egg are about $80 for mushkin, kingmax, kingston. So that would make them about $160ish a pair. Is spending $140 more for "better" stuff crazy or what? I am building an a64 system where my high end usage will be mostly for gaming (at least at this point)

G

OCZ is top notch, they have lifetime warranty also, it should break hehe.
I really love my OCZ performance it was quite cheap and performs really good. About the EB stuff never tested it myself. I wouldnt bother with PC3700 since it seams to overclock really well, you should be able to reach close to PC4000 speed with the 3500...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

OCZ is top notch ram. When I bought my HyperX PC3500 2X512 I got it for $120 each. That was the cheapest price at that time. Buy the OCZ PC3500 that will last you untill your next upgrade.

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Someones trash is another mans treasure. OCZ is great memory and I think the main reason they were having problems is the people who bought it did not have any idea what they were doing and they were having incompatibility issues. I would recommend OCZ for anyone who wants to overclock.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, yes and no. I had to RMA the first set of Dual-Channel OCZ I bought. One of the sticks wouldn't even post. I hardly call this "tested". I assume you have better QC at Crucial Labs. At the time it really p*ssed me off. The replacement set is happily running in an A64 currently. All's well that ends well! :smile:

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

G

Wich model was it? Extrem/enthusiast/performance/value etc also known as Platinum/gold/copper....

I think anything over their value ram should have been touroughly tested...On the other hand you never know maybe it was working well when they tested it and broke while shipping or something.

I beleive any ram from any compagny might need to be RMA'ed its how often it happens that tells you the quality of the product sold...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0