BEST GAMING SOUND CARD

VERYSTUPID

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004
I would like to address this question only to gamers, who play games that demand High-End systems. ( FARCRY,UNREALT4, ETC.) In your gaming experience what SOUND CARD performed best?

Would greatly appreciate your honest opinions and feedback*

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Avoid M-Audio if gaming is your thing. Better for music and sampling.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I agree with Audigy 2 ZS. Only buy the Audigy 2 ZS Gamer version if you want to spend the extra money for the "free" games that come with it. The hardware is exactly the same.

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis

Zalkryn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
I have Audigy 2 and games sound great, but music sucks! CMSS is awful! Also I dont get to take advantage of Dolby Digital in a few games that support it. This is why Im considering going to NF7-S motherboard with soundstorm and DD 'encoding'.

Pentium 4 2g
Asus P4T-E MB
512 PC800 Rambus
ATI 9700 Pro
Linksys 10/100 network card
SB Audigy 2

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
The Soundstorm APU is a good chip. Avoid Creative, unless the only thing you want is games (as has been said, their concentration is on games not music or movies or anything else). Terratec is great, as is Guillemot.

Don't diss M-Audio. The Revolution 7.1 is a great all-in-one card, one to rival anything Creative has, and at a real good price too. It would be my pick, that or the Terratec.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
As my experience with the M-Audio has been longer, I've found it a great all around card for most things. And at $79.00 I guess it can't be faulted for not doing EVERYTHING well. But truth be told it's not a "great" gaming card, music though is clean and phenomenal on it. DVD playback is amazing as well.

Da Worfster

Jago22

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2004
I have a lian-li pc65-b with a window, and an Audigy 2 ZS with the front panel drive. It comes with a ribbon cable to connect the front panel to the card. Does anyone know of a round cable i could use.. or just make a round IDE or floppy cable do it. the ribbon blocks air and looks horrible.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) ~Jago

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didnt exist...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
True, Aureal kicks arse!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Hmmm. I have seen recievers for 9.1 audio. Where do the other 2 speakers go? It would be cool to have low-to-floor sound and ceeling sound.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Because your ears are 2.0 there's a limit to how many speakers/positional sound sources, the human ear/brain can distinguish. The conventional wisdom is that 6.1 is about the most the brain/ear can discern reliably with repeated Double Blind Testing. You can add all the speakers you want, 9.1, 11.1 and all you're doing is cluttering your house with speakers and wires and making certain receiver and speaker manufacturers quite rich.

As far as what I run, house limitations make 5.1 the most I can get away with.

Da Worfster

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
That would be true if they where all playing at the same time, but as for directional sound (few sounds at once) it would be easy to tell if the sound came from below or up high.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

hxhky

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
I dont know if you can connect your speakers and receiver wirelessly, just as wireless LAN. But even if you could, I doubt the sound quality. As I work on wireless network, I know how poor RF connection is.