Master list of user-defined shortcut keys?

June 29, 2005 10:50:24 AM

I just started up on an office computer at my new job. I noticed that
I cannot set shortcut keys in Word using certain Ctrl-Alt combinations.
I'm assuming that this is because some previous user of this computer
has assigned these combinations in Windows XP as shortcuts for
programs. However, these shortcuts do nothing from the desktop or
anywhere else. I would guess that this is because the target programs
are no longer on the computer.

Of course, there may be some entirely different explanation.

Anyway, is there any way to (1) determine if these shortcut
combinations were in fact in use at one time in Windows XP and (2)
delete/undo them (perhaps in the registry)?

(From the Help file, it looks like I would have to right click on EVERY
program icon on the hard drive to determine if a certain shortcut key
has been assigned. This would be cumbersome. Also, if the program has
been removed, this process wouldn't find the shortcut key in the first
place.)

Thanks.
June 29, 2005 12:27:03 PM

Here is how to reset them in Word,
http://wordtips.vitalnews.com/Pages/T0313_Resetting_All...
I'm not having any luck with a global shorcut key reset.

"jw" wrote:

> I just started up on an office computer at my new job. I noticed that
> I cannot set shortcut keys in Word using certain Ctrl-Alt combinations.
> I'm assuming that this is because some previous user of this computer
> has assigned these combinations in Windows XP as shortcuts for
> programs. However, these shortcuts do nothing from the desktop or
> anywhere else. I would guess that this is because the target programs
> are no longer on the computer.
>
> Of course, there may be some entirely different explanation.
>
> Anyway, is there any way to (1) determine if these shortcut
> combinations were in fact in use at one time in Windows XP and (2)
> delete/undo them (perhaps in the registry)?
>
> (From the Help file, it looks like I would have to right click on EVERY
> program icon on the hard drive to determine if a certain shortcut key
> has been assigned. This would be cumbersome. Also, if the program has
> been removed, this process wouldn't find the shortcut key in the first
> place.)
>
> Thanks.

June 29, 2005 6:35:04 PM

I don't need to reset them in Word. In fact, I CAN'T set certain
combinations in Word, apparently because these combinations have been
set in Windows XP, which supersedes everything (i.e., these
combinations cannot be set within specific programs once they are set
in Windows XP, according to the Windows XP Help file). What I need to
do is undo previously made settings in Windows XP (or find out if
something else is blocking my resetting of the shortcuts in Word).
October 15, 2009 7:16:34 AM

jw,

install this:
total commander
total commander plugin for viewing LNK files - LinkInfo.wlx

test that pressing CTL-Q (repeat for F3) on a LNK file a viewer with shortcut key info should appear.

Now scan all files ALT-F7 for *.lnk, choose feed to list box, press CTL-Q and step through all you files looking for user defined shortcut keys (UDSK).
When you find one right click and remove it. Reboot you system and you should be rid of it the UDSK you dont use.

Works on Win 4.x, and 5.x (ie 9x,2K,XP)

Skipton Ryper
Perth, Au
relay12b (at) h o t m a i l . c o m