Change default Internet Search

I tried to use the change preferences to switch to the Google Search for
default search engine. You know type in a phrase in the IE address bar.
But it doesn't work. IE 6 is still using MSN. How do I fix this?

--
George Hester
_______________________________

    Go here: http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html

    "George Hester" wrote:

    > I tried to use the change preferences to switch to the Google Search for
    > default search engine. You know type in a phrase in the IE address bar.
    > But it doesn't work. IE 6 is still using MSN. How do I fix this?
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________

    I understand that Goolge is a good search engine. Here it is:

    In regedit:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl

    Name: provider
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: gogl

    Why Windows XP did not do this when I told it to???

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "brianb" <brianb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Go here: http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html
    >
    > "George Hester" wrote:
    >
    > > I tried to use the change preferences to switch to the Google Search for
    > > default search engine. You know type in a phrase in the IE address bar.
    > > But it doesn't work. IE 6 is still using MSN. How do I fix this?
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________

    Try this instead....
    Open a new file in notepad. copy and paste the following into the notepad:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Use Search Asst"="no"
    "Search Page"="http://www.google.com"
    "Search Bar"="http://www.google.com/ie"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]
    ""="http://www.google.com/keyword/%s"
    "provider"="gogl"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
    "SearchAssistant"="http://www.google.com/ie"

    Now do a Save As and name it something like chngsrch.reg (as long as it is
    ..reg and not .txt you will be fine)
    Double click the .reg file and answer yes to adding it to your registry.

    "George Hester" wrote:

    > I understand that Goolge is a good search engine. Here it is:
    >
    > In regedit:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl
    >
    > Name: provider
    > Type: REG_SZ
    > Data: gogl
    >
    > Why Windows XP did not do this when I told it to???
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "brianb" <brianb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Go here: http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html
    > >
    > > "George Hester" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I tried to use the change preferences to switch to the Google Search for
    > > > default search engine. You know type in a phrase in the IE address bar.
    > > > But it doesn't work. IE 6 is still using MSN. How do I fix this?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > George Hester
    > > > _______________________________

    Yes that is a way to get Google in the Search pane area. The trouble with
    that is when you do the search the results come back in that pane not in the
    browser main window. Which is why I like to do it from the Address bar.
    But thanks though that is always good to have.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > Try this instead....
    > Open a new file in notepad. copy and paste the following into the notepad:
    >
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >

    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    > "Use Search Asst"="no"
    > "Search Page"="http://www.google.com"
    > "Search Bar"="http://www.google.com/ie"
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]
    > ""="http://www.google.com/keyword/%s"
    > "provider"="gogl"
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
    > "SearchAssistant"="http://www.google.com/ie"
    >

    > Now do a Save As and name it something like chngsrch.reg (as long as it is
    > .reg and not .txt you will be fine)
    > Double click the .reg file and answer yes to adding it to your registry.
    >
    > "George Hester" wrote:
    >
    > > I understand that Goolge is a good search engine. Here it is:
    > >
    > > In regedit:
    > >
    > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl
    > >
    > > Name: provider
    > > Type: REG_SZ
    > > Data: gogl
    > >
    > > Why Windows XP did not do this when I told it to???
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________
    > > "brianb" <brianb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Go here: http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html

    Hi George,

    IF you follow brians advice your search WILL come up in the browser main
    window. If you go to the website and right click where it says file and
    click save target as and save it to your desktop and leave it google.reg.
    When it gets done downloading just double click it and click run > yes > ok.
    You can search using the address bar all you want. You can also download the
    Google toolbar and do searches right below the address bar and it will come
    up just the same in the main browser window as if you had gone to google.com
    and made a search... http://toolbar.google.com/ is the toolbar if you want it
    as well.

    Joe

    Kemco

    P.S. Good advice Brian you were right he just didn't get it!

    "George Hester" wrote:

    > Yes that is a way to get Google in the Search pane area. The trouble with
    > that is when you do the search the results come back in that pane not in the
    > browser main window. Which is why I like to do it from the Address bar.
    > But thanks though that is always good to have.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "brianb" <brianb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Try this instead....
    > > Open a new file in notepad. copy and paste the following into the notepad:
    > >
    > > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    > >

    > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    > > "Use Search Asst"="no"
    > > "Search Page"="http://www.google.com"
    > > "Search Bar"="http://www.google.com/ie"
    > >
    > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]
    > > ""="http://www.google.com/keyword/%s"
    > > "provider"="gogl"
    > >
    > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
    > > "SearchAssistant"="http://www.google.com/ie"
    > >

    > > Now do a Save As and name it something like chngsrch.reg (as long as it is
    > > .reg and not .txt you will be fine)
    > > Double click the .reg file and answer yes to adding it to your registry.
    > >
    > > "George Hester" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I understand that Goolge is a good search engine. Here it is:
    > > >
    > > > In regedit:
    > > >
    > > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl
    > > >
    > > > Name: provider
    > > > Type: REG_SZ
    > > > Data: gogl
    > > >
    > > > Why Windows XP did not do this when I told it to???
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > George Hester
    > > > _______________________________
    > > > "brianb" <brianb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > for
    > bar.

    Well I'll try it. The last time I did this it did what I said it did. But
    maybe he has something different. Will give it a shot and let you know how
    it turned out. If I am wrong then that's good.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Kemco" <Kemco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi George,
    >
    > IF you follow brians advice your search WILL come up in the browser main
    > window. If you go to the website and right click where it says file and
    > click save target as and save it to your desktop and leave it google.reg.
    > When it gets done downloading just double click it and click run > yes >
    ok.
    > You can search using the address bar all you want. You can also download
    the
    > Google toolbar and do searches right below the address bar and it will
    come
    > up just the same in the main browser window as if you had gone to
    google.com
    > and made a search... http://toolbar.google.com/ is the toolbar if you want
    it
    > as well.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > Kemco
    >
    > P.S. Good advice Brian you were right he just didn't get it!
    >

    > "George Hester" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes that is a way to get Google in the Search pane area. The trouble
    with
    > > that is when you do the search the results come back in that pane not in
    the
    > > browser main window. Which is why I like to do it from the Address bar.
    > > But thanks though that is always good to have.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________
    > > "brianb" <brianb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Try this instead....
    > > > Open a new file in notepad. copy and paste the following into the
    notepad:

    > > > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    > > >

    > > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    > > > "Use Search Asst"="no"
    > > > "Search Page"="http://www.google.com"
    > > > "Search Bar"="http://www.google.com/ie"
    > > >
    > > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]
    > > > ""="http://www.google.com/keyword/%s"
    > > > "provider"="gogl"
    > > >
    > > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
    > > > "SearchAssistant"="http://www.google.com/ie"
    > > >

    > > > Now do a Save As and name it something like chngsrch.reg (as long as
    it is
    > > > .reg and not .txt you will be fine)
    > > > Double click the .reg file and answer yes to adding it to your
    registry.

    > > for
    > > bar.

    As I thought. No the results do not come up in the main window. They come
    up in the search pane. Oh well.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Kemco" <Kemco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi George,
    >
    > IF you follow brians advice your search WILL come up in the browser main
    > window. If you go to the website and right click where it says file and
    > click save target as and save it to your desktop and leave it google.reg.
    > When it gets done downloading just double click it and click run > yes >
    ok.
    > You can search using the address bar all you want. You can also download
    the
    > Google toolbar and do searches right below the address bar and it will
    come
    > up just the same in the main browser window as if you had gone to
    google.com
    > and made a search... http://toolbar.google.com/ is the toolbar if you want
    it
    > as well.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > Kemco
    >
    > P.S. Good advice Brian you were right he just didn't get it!
    >

    > "George Hester" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes that is a way to get Google in the Search pane area. The trouble
    with
    > > that is when you do the search the results come back in that pane not in
    the
    > > browser main window. Which is why I like to do it from the Address bar.
    > > But thanks though that is always good to have.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________
    > > "brianb" <brianb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Try this instead....
    > > > Open a new file in notepad. copy and paste the following into the
    notepad:

    > > > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    > > >

    > > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    > > > "Use Search Asst"="no"
    > > > "Search Page"="http://www.google.com"
    > > > "Search Bar"="http://www.google.com/ie"
    > > >
    > > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]
    > > > ""="http://www.google.com/keyword/%s"
    > > > "provider"="gogl"
    > > >
    > > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
    > > > "SearchAssistant"="http://www.google.com/ie"
    > > >

    > > > Now do a Save As and name it something like chngsrch.reg (as long as
    it is
    > > > .reg and not .txt you will be fine)
    > > > Double click the .reg file and answer yes to adding it to your
    registry.

    > > for
    > > bar.

    Now how do I get back to what I had? I saved the three reg keys but it is
    now broken. Do I need to reboot?

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Kemco" <Kemco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi George,
    >
    > IF you follow brians advice your search WILL come up in the browser main
    > window. If you go to the website and right click where it says file and
    > click save target as and save it to your desktop and leave it google.reg.
    > When it gets done downloading just double click it and click run > yes >
    ok.
    > You can search using the address bar all you want. You can also download
    the
    > Google toolbar and do searches right below the address bar and it will
    come
    > up just the same in the main browser window as if you had gone to
    google.com
    > and made a search... http://toolbar.google.com/ is the toolbar if you want
    it
    > as well.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > Kemco
    >
    > P.S. Good advice Brian you were right he just didn't get it!
    >

    > "George Hester" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes that is a way to get Google in the Search pane area. The trouble
    with
    > > that is when you do the search the results come back in that pane not in
    the
    > > browser main window. Which is why I like to do it from the Address bar.
    > > But thanks though that is always good to have.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________
    > > "brianb" <brianb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Try this instead....
    > > > Open a new file in notepad. copy and paste the following into the
    notepad:

    > > > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    > > >

    > > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    > > > "Use Search Asst"="no"
    > > > "Search Page"="http://www.google.com"
    > > > "Search Bar"="http://www.google.com/ie"
    > > >
    > > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]
    > > > ""="http://www.google.com/keyword/%s"
    > > > "provider"="gogl"
    > > >
    > > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
    > > > "SearchAssistant"="http://www.google.com/ie"
    > > >

    > > > Now do a Save As and name it something like chngsrch.reg (as long as
    it is
    > > > .reg and not .txt you will be fine)
    > > > Double click the .reg file and answer yes to adding it to your
    registry.

    > > for
    > > bar.

    OK I fixed it. When you enter these values in the three reg keys of:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER

    another location in the registry gets changed as well. This key must also
    be backed up before making the changes suggested by brianb. That key is
    this location:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search

    For here the value for SearchAssistant gets changed also and no matter how
    you change everything back in HKEY_CURRENT_USER the google search page will
    still appear in the Search Pane. It has to be returned to:

    Name: SearchAssistant
    Type: REG_SZ
    Value: http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchasst.htm

    Well live and learn.