Advanced gun 4e Qs

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Several in-development weapons have "shoot around the corner"
capability. For example, the OICW can use some sort of HUD so the
shooter can hold it around a corner or over his head. Obviously this
is less stable than firing "properly". I was thinking for GURPS that
you would use the bulk penalty for such shots. Sound reasonable? And
can you really "aim" in such a situation? If you hold a gun up at arms
length for a few seconds you aren't going to get any steadier.

How does the move'n'shoot work if you have a laser designator? I
believe the description just says it gives a +1 (or +2?) to accuracy
but accuracy doesn't come into play unless you aim. I thought part of
the goodness of the lasers was that it helped when you *didn't* have
time to aim.

And finally, how the heck do scopes really work in 4e? If I have a 6x
scope on a rifle what would the bonus be if I...
....don't aim? (0)
....aim for 1 second?
....aim for 3 seconds?
....aim for 6 seconds?

And what if the scope was a variable scope?

On 10 May 2005 09:42:53 -0700, "WDS" <Bill@seurer.net> wrote:

>Several in-development weapons have "shoot around the corner"
>capability. For example, the OICW can use some sort of HUD so the
>shooter can hold it around a corner or over his head. Obviously this
>is less stable than firing "properly". I was thinking for GURPS that
>you would use the bulk penalty for such shots. Sound reasonable? And
>can you really "aim" in such a situation? If you hold a gun up at arms
>length for a few seconds you aren't going to get any steadier.
>
>How does the move'n'shoot work if you have a laser designator? I
>believe the description just says it gives a +1 (or +2?) to accuracy
>but accuracy doesn't come into play unless you aim. I thought part of
>the goodness of the lasers was that it helped when you *didn't* have
>time to aim.
>
>And finally, how the heck do scopes really work in 4e? If I have a 6x
>scope on a rifle what would the bonus be if I...
>...don't aim? (0)
>...aim for 1 second?
>...aim for 3 seconds?
>...aim for 6 seconds?
>
>And what if the scope was a variable scope?

as an fyi the oicw project is dead as a doornail though i understand
they are developing the rifle and a larger calibre gl as separate
items now.
--
"Ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more violence. Limp,
panicky half-measures lead to more violence. However, complete,

"forkliftramp.com" <Brian_knowspam.McDonald@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> On 10 May 2005 09:42:53 -0700, "WDS" <Bill@seurer.net> wrote:
>

>>Several in-development weapons have "shoot around the corner"
>>capability. For example, the OICW can use some sort of HUD so the
>>shooter can hold it around a corner or over his head. Obviously this
>>is less stable than firing "properly". I was thinking for GURPS that
>>you would use the bulk penalty for such shots. Sound reasonable? And
>>can you really "aim" in such a situation? If you hold a gun up at arms
>>length for a few seconds you aren't going to get any steadier.
>>
>>How does the move'n'shoot work if you have a laser designator? I
>>believe the description just says it gives a +1 (or +2?) to accuracy
>>but accuracy doesn't come into play unless you aim. I thought part of
>>the goodness of the lasers was that it helped when you *didn't* have
>>time to aim.

If you can see your laser dot would get the +1 bonus for a laser without
having to aim, just point and shoot. But if your target can see the dot
they get a +1 to dodge.

>>And finally, how the heck do scopes really work in 4e?
I believe they work a lot like in 3e. A 2x is +1 and every doubling of
power is another +1. Therefore a 6x scope would be +2 if an aim manuver was
used. In game terms there is no difference between a 4x and a 6x.

>>If I have a 6x
scope on a rifle what would the bonus be if I...
>>...don't aim? (0)
>>...aim for 1 second?

No bonus, and a penalty of I believe -1 because the scope is bulky and
obstructs your ability to use the open sight. I believe that this is from
3e.

....aim for 2 seconds?

Weapons accuracy + 2(for scope) +1(for aiming).
Since this is a fixed power scope, you have to wait the number of seconds
equal to your scopes bonus in order to gain the bonus.

>>...aim for 3 seconds?

Weapons accuracy + 2(for scope) +2(for aiming).
This would be your maximum bonus. Also the total cannot exceed your weapons
base accuracy.

>>And what if the scope was a variable scope?
>>...aim for 1 second?
Weapons accuracy + 1(for scope).

....aim for 2 seconds?
Weapons accuracy + 2(for scope) +1(for aiming).

>>...aim for 3 seconds?
Weapons accuracy + 2(for scope) +2(for aiming).
This would be your maximum bonus. Also the total cannot exceed your weapons
base accuracy.

> as an fyi the oicw project is dead as a doornail though i understand
> they are developing the rifle and a larger calibre gl as separate
> items now.

Discovery channel showed the HUD being used on an M4 along with a laser
sight.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:14:14 -0500, "B.J. McNail" <bjnicky@fidnet.com>
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> "forkliftramp.com" <Brian_knowspam.McDonald@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > On 10 May 2005 09:42:53 -0700, "WDS" <Bill@seurer.net> wrote:
> >

> >>Several in-development weapons have "shoot around the corner"
> >>capability. For example, the OICW can use some sort of HUD so the
> >>shooter can hold it around a corner or over his head. Obviously this
> >>is less stable than firing "properly". I was thinking for GURPS that
> >>you would use the bulk penalty for such shots. Sound reasonable? And
> >>can you really "aim" in such a situation? If you hold a gun up at arms
> >>length for a few seconds you aren't going to get any steadier.
> >>
> >>How does the move'n'shoot work if you have a laser designator? I
> >>believe the description just says it gives a +1 (or +2?) to accuracy
> >>but accuracy doesn't come into play unless you aim. I thought part of
> >>the goodness of the lasers was that it helped when you *didn't* have
> >>time to aim.
>
> If you can see your laser dot would get the +1 bonus for a laser without
> having to aim, just point and shoot. But if your target can see the dot
> they get a +1 to dodge.

Yeah. Campaigns, p.412 explictly says that the +1 to hit is whether
you aim or not - it's a striaght bonuis to hit, not a bonus to acc or
aim.

> No bonus, and a penalty of I believe -1 because the scope is bulky and
> obstructs your ability to use the open sight. I believe that this is from
> 3e.

No offical penalty in G4.

> ...aim for 2 seconds?
>
> Weapons accuracy + 2(for scope) +1(for aiming).
> Since this is a fixed power scope, you have to wait the number of seconds
> equal to your scopes bonus in order to gain the bonus.

Which is, IMO, a silly rule - varipower or fixed power makes no
difference to ease of use. If you wanted to get picky you could say
that with a vari-power you choose the bonus before you start to aim,
and then it works like a fixed-power scope - you have to aim the full
time before you get any bonus from the scope. Me, I just treat all
scopes as being 'varible power', in GURPS' terms.

> >>...aim for 3 seconds?
>
> Weapons accuracy + 2(for scope) +2(for aiming).
> This would be your maximum bonus. Also the total cannot exceed your weapons
> base accuracy.

No, the total bonus from all targetting systems can't exceed the
weapon's acc. The bonuses from time aiming, bracing (goes straight to
Acc, implying that it increases the maximum bonus you could get from
targetting systems, which makes some sense), and so on are not capped.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I agree with you and stand corrected on the maximum bonus. I think that SJ
could have gone into more detail when it came to the accessories for guns
and the rules that govern them.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:58:00 -0500, "B.J. McNail" <bjnicky@fidnet.com>
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> I agree with you and stand corrected on the maximum bonus. I think that SJ
> could have gone into more detail when it came to the accessories for guns
> and the rules that govern them.

I expect that that's part of what they'll publish in High Tech, when
it finally comes out.

--

"Rupert Boleyn" <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:58:00 -0500, "B.J. McNail" <bjnicky@fidnet.com>
> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>

>> I agree with you and stand corrected on the maximum bonus. I think that
>> SJ
>> could have gone into more detail when it came to the accessories for guns
>> and the rules that govern them.
>
> I expect that that's part of what they'll publish in High Tech, when
> it finally comes out.

I really hate the split on High-Tech and Ultra-Tech. I really wish they'd
combine the volumes. The problem is that slug throwers apply in both
Hight-Tech and Ultra-Tech. Also they didn't move sufficient rules into the
Basic set. I'd really like to see something like a GURPS
High-Tech/Ultra-Tech compendium. Yes it will be a huge book, but all of the
tech would be in the one reference. Also the rules for weapon design really
should be in this book rather than in Vehicles. Why should you need to buy
the vehicles book just to design a new rifle?

> --
> Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
> "Just because the truth will set you free doesn't mean the truth itself
> should be free."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:03:03 GMT, "James Duncan"
<j.duncan@verizon.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> "Rupert Boleyn" <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message

> I really hate the split on High-Tech and Ultra-Tech. I really wish they'd
> combine the volumes. The problem is that slug throwers apply in both
> Hight-Tech and Ultra-Tech.

> Also they didn't move sufficient rules into the Basic set.

In what way? I've been running an SF game using G4 without significant
problems.

> I'd really like to see something like a GURPS
> High-Tech/Ultra-Tech compendium. Yes it will be a huge book, but all of the
> tech would be in the one reference.

I'd be a good 500 pages, and the screaming over it cost wouldn't stop
until a week past doomsday.

> Also the rules for weapon design really
> should be in this book rather than in Vehicles. Why should you need to buy
> the vehicles book just to design a new rifle?

I believe the rules for slugthrower design will be in HT.

--

> > Also the rules for weapon design really
> > should be in this book rather than in Vehicles. Why should you need to
buy
> > the vehicles book just to design a new rifle?
>
> I believe the rules for slugthrower design will be in HT.

Yeah - same with UT. The original manuscript for UT had lots of design rules
too. Of course, I didn't do much in that playtest and I know it went back
for a major revision after playtest, so who know what stayed.

--
Eric B. Smith http://home.stny.rr.com/gurpsland

If "Pro" is the opposite of "Con" then "pro"gress is the opposite of
"Con"gress.