USB printer drops off network

I have a HP2300n connected USB to one workstation that is shared across the
network, other pc's cannot see the printer across the network, it is shared.
--
Fluffy
2 answers Last reply

    In article <5BC1208F-7970-46DA-8910-81016A781926@microsoft.com>,
    fluffy the wonder kitten
    <fluffythewonderkitten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >I have a HP2300n connected USB to one workstation that is shared across the
    >network, other pc's cannot see the printer across the network, it is shared.

    Without any details of your computers and network, it's hard to say
    what's wrong. Here's are some educated guesses:

    Make sure that a firewall on the workstation with the printer isn't
    blocking access from the other pc's.

    Make sure that the printer's share name isn't longer than 12
    characters, which would make it invisible to computers running Windows
    95, 98, and Me. Include only letters and numbers in the share name --
    no spaces or special characters.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Why don't you install this printer onto the network directly? You have a HP
    2300n, which means that the network adapter is built-in and you would not
    need to have its workstation open for it to work. You would only need a
    network jack and an IP address.

    Besides the above, if the SP firewall is active on that workstation, the
    other may not see it unless you create a firewall exception rule.

    wrote in message news:5BC1208F-7970-46DA-8910-81016A781926@microsoft.com...
    >I have a HP2300n connected USB to one workstation that is shared across the
    > network, other pc's cannot see the printer across the network, it is
    > shared.
    > --
    > Fluffy

Printers Microsoft USB Windows XP