SSD is suddenly full!. What gives?

south_valhalla

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Hey forum people!

I've got a 128gb SSD as my primary but it's suddenly looking a little full. I THINK it happened after I tried to use the windows back up...which didn't complete itself anyway. The HDD reads a max capacity of 111GB with 39GB free. If I select all the folders (I have the hidden ones showing) the total size according to the windows properties window is 67.2 GB. The windows folder (not including program files) shows 37 gb when I select it.

What's going on? Where did my space go? :non: I've run CC cleaner and have the latest Avast anti-virus protection.

rdc85

Honorable
right click the drive -> properties -> select disk clean up -> select clean system files -> check the files/categories that u want to clean (including recovery image) -> press ok..

it will clean up the failed image.

edit : before clean, run chkdsk /f the drive (scandisk) to fix the missing space that it might had....

south_valhalla

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

What does this do?

OK so system restore is taking up less that a gig. Run disk clean up and it doesn't show deleting a recovery disk as an option.
Will download windirstat, see what's what and then report back. Will run the scandisk test tomorrow as I head for work....

Will report back in a couple of hours!

The powercfg -h command disables hibernation. Turn this off if you do not use hibernate as it creates a hibernation file (hyberfil.sys) that is the size of your ram. So, if you are running 8 gig of ram, the hiberfil.sys file will be 8 gig. The file can only be removed by disabling hibernation.

irvine5000

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
If I remember right, that disables hibernate mode, freeing up a few gigs of hard drive space in the process. I recommend downloading windirstat and running that to analyze where all the space is. It is a very good program that graphs out your hard drive showing you exactly what's on it. I use it on all of my drives to figure out where the space goes.

http://windirstat.info/index.html

111GB total space
-70GB used space
=41GB free space

Keep in mind that 'file size' and the 'size on disc' are 2 different things, and there are background files that are never counted towards your space used, so it is normal to be off by a few GB.

Disabeling hibernation will stop the computer from making a new hiberfil, but does not remove the old one. You will need to find and delete it, or run disc cleanup and select 'system files' or 'advanced' or whatever to properly remove the one that you currently have.

You can also turn off the page-file/virtual memory which is also as large as your memory. Note that this is not suggested unless you are a normal user/gamer running more than 4GB of ram, and if you are a heavy user (video editing, or lots of multi-tasking) then you do not want to disable this unless you have 16GB or more of ram. Running out of memory can cause really annoying issues, that is what the page-file is there for.

A clean Win7 with PF and hiber removed should be ~18GB in size

TRENDING THREADS