GURPS deities and heroes

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Are there any GURPS resources that provide stats for deities and/or
classical heroes? All I know of is Egypt's vague reference to deities
having stats of 40 or so; I haven't seen Greece yet.

Hoping to find something convertable to GURPS, I looked through a few
of the Troy-inspired d20 suppliments that came out recently, but still
I found no stats. (I am dis-satisfied with the limited coverage of
the d20 "Deities & Demigods" suppliment, and with the heroes'
attribute assignments in the earlier AD&D books.)

Should I start a thread in the SJG forums?

-- Matt Jozwiak
100 answers Last reply
More about gurps deities heroes
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    That's where I'ld post the it, and here. Get as many opinions as
    possible...

    > Should I start a thread in the SJG forums?
    >
    > -- Matt Jozwiak
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    Korin Duval wrote:
    > On , Red Beard <Akahige@HotPOP.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Are there any GURPS resources that provide stats for deities and/or
    > >classical heroes? All I know of is Egypt's vague reference to deities
    > >having stats of 40 or so; I haven't seen Greece yet.
    >
    > Deities are better used as plot devices... I'm sure I'm not the only
    > one thinking so.
    > In this way, you don't even need stats, a part a few such as
    > Appearance and some approximated range of their powers.
    > It is nonsense to know how many dice of damage a bolt from Zeus or
    > what the ST score of Hercules is: you only need to know they can't be
    > beaten in their specialty.
    >

    > Korin Duval

    That's pretty much what I think. Are the players going to be fighting
    against or with these entities? If not, are their stats really
    relevant?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    --

    "Truth requires a great amount of courage;
    Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."

    In article <429df817.2037828@powernews.libero.it>,
    Korin Duval <korinNOduvalSPAM@yahoo.it> wrote:
    >On , Red Beard <Akahige@HotPOP.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Are there any GURPS resources that provide stats for deities and/or
    >>classical heroes? All I know of is Egypt's vague reference to deities
    >>having stats of 40 or so; I haven't seen Greece yet.
    >
    >Deities are better used as plot devices... I'm sure I'm not the only
    >one thinking so.
    >In this way, you don't even need stats, a part a few such as
    >Appearance and some approximated range of their powers.
    >It is nonsense to know how many dice of damage a bolt from Zeus or
    >what the ST score of Hercules is: you only need to know they can't be
    >beaten in their specialty.

    I'm reminded of the superhero "The Tick". When asked what, exactly, does
    it mean to be "nigh invulnerable", the author said he's immune to any sort
    of damage unless it's funny.

    --
    "Out of the way, you slime, a physicist is coming!"
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    On 2 Jun 2005 11:09:01 -0700, "Scooter the Mighty"
    <Greyguy3@hotmail.com> wrote:

    [...]
    >That's pretty much what I think. Are the players going to be fighting
    >against or with these entities? If not, are their stats really
    >relevant?

    Even if they need to fight them, they'll lose unless they play some
    clever tricks: it's always so in mythology.

    Even Hercules, to clean the Augias' Stables (gods' "impossible"
    trial), couldn't do it with his mighty strenght and endurance alone...
    He had to detour an entire river (the clever trick)!

    Nordic and Greek mythologies are the best sources for examples: gods
    are tricked, not beaten. Riddle contests, diguising, prophecies with a
    catch (see Shakespeare's MacBeth, while gods aren't involved) to
    exploit... Et cetera.

    Korin Duval

    --

    "Truth requires a great amount of courage;
    Fiction requires a great amount of maturity."
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

    In article <42a021eb.1140937@powernews.libero.it>,
    Korin Duval <korinNOduvalSPAM@yahoo.it> wrote:

    >Nordic and Greek mythologies are the best sources for examples: gods
    >are tricked, not beaten. Riddle contests, diguising, prophecies with a
    >catch (see Shakespeare's MacBeth, while gods aren't involved) to
    >exploit... Et cetera.

    There is an interesting occurence in Norse mythology, where one can
    see how a mere mortal _might_ have been able to kill a god. At one
    point, the god Hod is tricked into killing the god Balder by the
    trickster Loki. Now, Loki is a god but it's not inconcievable that
    some very capable mortal might have been able to pull off the same
    scam as Loki did. But it does emphasize the point that mortals are
    unlikely to kill gods by sheer might - social engineering seems a much
    better bet :-)

    Cheers
    Bent D
    --